Bourbon

Jimbaround

The TX blended is sourced whiskey with a flavoring agent added to it that makes it taste like Halloween candy. That’s not a good thing in my book, but if you’re into then you’re into it.

Everything else they make is their distillate, and doesn’t include any flavor agents. I wouldn’t call it good, but it’s much better than the blended to me. The barrel proof is the best of what they offer outside of the distillery. The experimental Rye is the best thing they make overall and I think that one will be out in the next 1-2 years.

I’ve always avoided this brand in the past, but had a chance to do a full virtual tasting event with the head distiller for $10 last month. I didn’t go out and buy any, but it was enough to raise my very low opinion of them at least a tad. I’ll pickup the Rye whenever that one hits shelves.

• Hook 'Em 2

The TX blended is sourced whiskey with a flavoring agent added to it that makes it taste like Halloween candy. That’s not a good thing in my book, but if you’re into then you’re into it.

Everything else they make is their distillate, and doesn’t include any flavor agents. I wouldn’t call it good, but it’s much better than the blended to me. The barrel proof is the best of what they offer outside of the distillery. The experimental Rye is the best thing they make overall and I think that one will be out in the next 1-2 years.

I’ve always avoided this brand in the past, but had a chance to do a full virtual tasting event with the head distiller for $10 last month. I didn’t go out and buy any, but it was enough to raise my very low opinion of them at least a tad. I’ll pickup the Rye whenever that one hits shelves.

This pretty much nails my opinion of them. From what I recall, the blend was intended to just be a placeholder until their first batch of bourbon was ready in ~3 years or so, but that date kept getting pushed back. The branding and the boot leather corks drew enough people in to keep them on the radar. I haven’t been myself, but I was really impressed when they bought Glen Garden CC and planned a whole distillery/golf/event venue. I will say one of my best bourbon drinking buddies got his start with TX. I’d put some ginger ale in the TX blend for his wife since I think it tastes like cream soda, and that was his gateway drug to thr barrel proofs of today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Oh I was thrilled to try it at Whiskey Cake for about $40 a pour. Pretty good, but some Knob Creek picks would beat it in a blind tasting. KC 25 would definitely beat it in my opinion. 

Correct, I’ll think most people would struggle to pick it out blind. B30 is good but not special and definitely not with even considering at a $900 secondary valuation. 

4 minutes ago, Buzzrock said:

This is, something.

5d28470ef82dbec9031b9427065c0ded.jpg

I liked the first sip, but then I tried adding a little water and it just went all to char. Very bitter. It may get relegated to mixer status. Too bad, I liked the old Kirkland bourbon better.

Distilled in Tennessee means Dickel. 

2 minutes ago, RichUT said:

Costco signed an agreement with Barton and the Kirkland brand will switch to their distillate at some point in the future. It’ll be co-branded, and I’d expect it to be a really solid value.

I would probably drink this if it has an age statement. 

I remember the Bourbon Pursuit guys were gushing over Dickel selling 7-8 year old product directly to grocery and liquor stores. The stores would then bottle and label their own bottles. They thought it was a game changer where they could cut out their distributors and three tier system. The problem is Dickel sucks and people didn’t buy the store bottles. 

1 hour ago, Herbie Hancock said:

Straightened up the collection and rearranged some stuff and found this little guy that had been pushed to the back. I remember buying this damn near once a week for months, and then one day the taters got wind of it and it was gone like a fart in the wind.

651ad15cb87facb4e4f604c7ce5c18b8.jpg

I found a bottle of EHT Taylor Single Barrel when I was moving back in October. It's hard to top the feeling of found money. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Met up with some friends last week and brought some ER, Blantons, Forester 1920.  ER was good not great.  I sent both of my buddies home with a bottle of ER each.  I’m such a good friend. Just popped a new bottle and damn it’s good.  I know it can vary pretty significantly depending on the bottle but damn.   

Edited by stork642

On 4/20/2021 at 9:48 AM, Herbie Hancock said:

Straightened up the collection and rearranged some stuff and found this little guy that had been pushed to the back. I remember buying this damn near once a week for months, and then one day the taters got wind of it and it was gone like a fart in the wind.

651ad15cb87facb4e4f604c7ce5c18b8.jpg

What a find.  Love that stuff and it’s both one of my favorite MGP and also favorite 90 proof pours.  

8 hours ago, H_Boogie said:

Can’t knock you for drinking that. Looks awesome. Want. Was kind of expecting you to have a fresh bottle of Seagrass or the Peyton Manning/Andy Roderick stuff to review.

That seagrass just doesn't sound good.  And celebrity whiskey does nothing for me. Especially when it's Dickel. and it's $200.   Hard pass.

• Like 1

That seagrass just doesn't sound good.  And celebrity whiskey does nothing for me. Especially when it's Dickel. and it's $200.   Hard pass.

The name sounds trash, but that description has me curious. Didn’t realize the other was Dickel but of course that makes sense. Didn’t realize the price point either until someone posted it yesterday. Oh well, you always have the newest toys and saw both of those popping up like crazy. The celebrity whiskey, or liquor for that matter, game needs to chill.

• Like 1

Lulz ensue: https://www.dallasnews.com/food/drinks/2021/04/21/sweetens-cove-tennessee-bourbon-backed-by-peyton-manning-and-andy-roddick-lands-in-texas-this-week/

"Tennessee Pappy". If you weren't sure Marianne Eaves was a functional regard, this article seals it. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis

Being brand new to bourbon, what should I definitely have in my home bar? I drank some Woodford yesterday and it was decent but I have no idea what is good or isn't at a decent price. I've consumed many if not most of the white whale beers and think I'm ready to move on to our beloved bourbons.

4 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Lulz ensue: https://www.dallasnews.com/food/drinks/2021/04/21/sweetens-cove-tennessee-bourbon-backed-by-peyton-manning-and-andy-roddick-lands-in-texas-this-week/

"Tennessee Pappy". If you weren't sure Marianne Eaves was a functional regard, this article seals it. 

The 25,000 bottles that will be released in Texas, Tennessee and Georgia are a blend of 16-, 6- and 4-year-old juices aged in barrels in Kentucky

I’ve seen this movie before. 

Take good Kentucky bourbon, probably Barton, jack up the price 600%. Say its just while their own stock ages. People like the aged Kentucky bourbon because duh, and their own distillate falls flat in 5 years. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, usmc0331horn said:

Being brand new to bourbon, what should I definitely have in my home bar? I drank some Woodford yesterday and it was decent but I have no idea what is good or isn't at a decent price. I've consumed many if not most of the white whale beers and think I'm ready to move on to our beloved bourbons.

Don’t let anyone tell you what is good. Drink what tastes good to you. 

that being said, might as well start with some different kinds to see what you like. Here are some ones you should be able to find anywhere. Buffalo Trace, Russels Reserve Single Barrel, 4 Roses Single Barrel, Evan Williams Single Barrel, Makers Mark Private Select, Pikesville Rye, 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 4

55 minutes ago, usmc0331horn said:

You like Woodford. That's a good start. Try the double oaked. Spec's sells a half bottle if you don't want to take the full plunge. 

If you like Woodford, you'll probably like Old Forester. They're owned by the same company and they're the same mashbill. I would suggest the Old Forester 100 to get you started. It's very inexpensive, and it's very good. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis

1 minute ago, billfromlaketravis said:

You like Woodford. That's a good start. Try the double oaked. Spec's sells a half bottle if you don't want to take the full plunge. 

If you like Woodford, you'll probably like Old Forester. They're owned by the same company. I would suggest the Old Forester 100 to get you started. It's very inexpensive, and it's very good. 

Thanks for the suggestions. I want to try a bunch of them and see what I like and don't like.

• Hook 'Em 1

38 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

Don’t let anyone tell you what is good. Drink what tastes good to you. 

that being said, might as well start with some different kinds to see what you like. Here are some ones you should be able to find anywhere. Buffalo Trace, Russels Reserve Single Barrel, 4 Roses Single Barrel, Evan Williams Single Barrel, Makers Mark Private Select, Pikesville Rye, 

Thanks. I hear that BT is kinda rare these days? I live in Austin. 

40 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

I’ve seen this movie before. 

Take good Kentucky bourbon, probably Barton, jack up the price 600%. Say its just while their own stock ages. People like the aged Kentucky bourbon because duh, and their own distillate falls flat in 5 years. 

The golf course is a legitimately cool story. The bourbon is not. I'm guessing the celebrities received the Puff Daddy - Ciroc sweat equity deal. Promote the hell out of the product, and we'll give you a piece of the company if it does well. Peyton seems pretty intelligent for an athlete and like an alright guy. I hope he didn't put his own money into this shit. 

55 minutes ago, usmc0331horn said:

Some inexpensive and easy to find good starter bottles that you should help you get your bearings without breaking the bank. I'd think about starting with one or two wheaters, one or two high ryes, one or two low ryes, and maybe a low % rye like Sazerac and maybe a high % rye like one of the High Wests

Elijah Craig Small Batch

Wild Turkey 101

Four Roses Small Batch

Weller Special Reserve

Makers Mark

Bulleit Bourbon 

Buffalo Trace

Evan Williams Single Barrel, Evan Williams Bottled In Bond

Jim Beam Black, Jim Beam Bottled in Bond, Jim Beam Single Barrel

1792 Small Batch

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

What neonmoon and fud said. For a very inexpensive but drinkable bourbon try Benchmark 8. You might like it more than bourbons 2 or 3x the price. I refuse to pay $$$ for alcohol and I don’t have the patience to drive all over the place looking for the hard to find but reasonably priced bourbons so i pretty much stick with BT, Weller SR, WT 101, and Evan Williams BIB. When you have several different bourbons on hand try them blind. You might be surprised what you find out. Label bias is a thing.
  • Hook 'Em 2

There is no wrong answer, but I’d personally point you to the very solid $50-$60 tier and suggest you pick up 4-5 of the following:

Wild Turkey Rare Breed
Old Forester 1910 or 1920
Woodinville Bourbon
1792 Full Proof
John J Bowman Single Barrel
Russell’s Reserve
Four Roses Small Batch Select

You’re going to pick up more variety in flavor profiles across these products which should prove helpful in dialing in your preferences.

• Hook 'Em 2

Now that I think about it, Sweetens Cove could contain Beam product. Minnick kind of dropped a subtle warning about Sweetens in a recent review of Knob Creek 9 Year, 100 proof. Basically, don't buy it, look for Knob Creek picks. 

Why oh why do you listen to anything that ascot wearing douche says?
Dude’s a joke.
  • Like 1