Bourbon

Jimbaround

9 hours ago, Party_Taco said:

JFC...

Not holding back with that post!

I’m not sure if “identifying values in European whiskey auctions” counts as a legitimate hobby to take up during Covid, but I have to admit I’m crushing it. 

• Like 1

I tried Old Forester 1897 BiB and McKenna 10 side by side last night. I wish 1897 took it down, but that was not the case. McKenna 10 in a landslide. 1897 has its merits, but it can't keep up with well aged Heaven Hill. 

Interesting comparison. Like them both.
I’ve gotten into my only bottle of McKenna 10 lately and can see why it’s hard to find these days. Great value for the price point.

Wish I hadn’t passed on it after seeing it all those years on the lower shelf.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yep it is Empire Liquor. Plano's location got 20 bottles and Allen got 30 bottles. There was a little line to get in the store this morning to get it. A buddy of mine recommended it to me and said I would not be disappointed. 

Empire has had some good picks in the last,
But Bobby is a fucking dickhead.
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, T’Boo Ted Marshall said:

Weller FP last night at whiskey cake. It’s delicious. My search to get a full bottle will probably never come to fruition.

Had some Garrison Single Barrel as well. Pretty good hooch.

JD in any form is still trash.

What pour of JD did you have? That’s a pretty hot take. I think their SiB Barrel Proof is a bit overrated, but still very good. Gentleman Jack is one of the best sipping whiskies out there. I grin from ear to ear when I see it out at the rodeo tent. JD SiB Barrel Proof Rye is great stuff. I tell people JD is a rye company. They just don’t know it yet. 

What pour of JD did you have? That’s a pretty hot take. I think their SiB Barrel Proof is a bit overrated, but still very good. Gentleman Jack is one of the best sipping whiskies out there. I grin from ear to ear when I see it out at the rodeo tent. JD SiB Barrel Proof Rye is great stuff. I tell people JD is a rye company. They just don’t know it yet. 

I know. It was the SiB BS.
I always get a heavy charcoal taste from Jack that I don’t care for.

2 minutes ago, T’Boo Ted Marshall said:

I know. It was the SiB BS.
I always get a heavy charcoal taste from Jack that I don’t care for.

The Whiskey Neat guy rant and raves about Jack Barrel Strength. While the store picks are good, it’s not something I seek out. I don’t pick up charcoal notes on the three JD products I mentioned. 

Regular Jack is just so bland, you have to mix it with something. But I don’t get charcoal either. 

Dickel, Ezra 7 have some pretty strong charcoal notes. 

JD has a 99 proof, 10 year coming out sometime this year. Supposed to be priced fairly. It’s something I’ll definitely pick up. 

2 hours ago, USCATX said:

2018/2019 JD Heritage Barrel is the best of the brand in my opinion.  This year’s rye special edition is fine, but it doesn’t do anything better than MGP in the 8-10 year range other than be really hot. 

I desperately want to try this bottle. Is it behind the bar anywhere in Austin? 

I'm trying to come up with a list of bourbons/ryes to ask for for special occasion gifts from the family that can be found on the shelf every once in awhile (don't want them paying x's 2 or x's 4 on secondary, or driving all around Houston) in the $70-$115 range. 

Do you guys have any ideas?

9 minutes ago, Fud said:

that can be found on the shelf every once in awhile

That’s a broad definition. Do you want the person to be able to walk into a store and pick up said bottle from the actual shelf? That would change the recommendations from bottles that are available every once in a while that may or may not hit the actual shelf 

3 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

That’s a broad definition. Do you want the person to be able to walk into a store and pick up said bottle from the actual shelf? That would change the recommendations from bottles that are available every once in a while that may or may not hit the actual shelf 

I'm hoping to have enough decent bottles in that price range on a list to where if they head to a couple of stores they should be able to find one that's not too marked up at one of their stops. It doesn't need to be a bottle that's available year round or anything, but not something that'll sell out in a day when it does hit. So maybe bottles like Bookers (any release), Angel's Envy Rye, MM Limited Release, etc. 

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, Fud said:

I'm hoping to have enough decent bottles in that price range on a list to where if they head to a couple of stores they should be able to find one that's not too marked up at one of their stops. It doesn't need to be a bottle that's available year round or anything, but not something that'll sell out in a day when it does hit. So maybe bottles like Bookers (any release), Angel's Envy Rye, MM Limited Release, etc. 

That's a good list. I'm still surprised to see Maker's Mark FAE 01 on the shelf. Spec's must have received a metric ton of it. 

1 minute ago, billfromlaketravis said:

That's a good list. I'm still surprised to see Maker's Mark FAE 01 on the shelf. Spec's must have received a metric ton of it. 

Yeah last thing I want is them asking an employee for a rec, and getting Walking Stick, or spending way too much on Olde Saint Nick, or driving all around town in search of a Blanton's 

16 minutes ago, Fud said:

Okay. Yeah, you have a pretty good list so far. I will add. Some of these iterations can be lingering on the shelf, depending on the popularity or not of the release. 

Wild Turkey Masters Keep

Remus Repeal Reserve 

Makers Mark Private Select

Knob Creek 12 year 

Woodford Reserve Batch Proof

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, billfromlaketravis said:

Seconded on Four Roses Small Batch Select. Pretty reasonable for $52 at Total Wine. 

That's one of those bottles that I already buy about once a month. I suppose getting reinforcements for my regular drinkers isn't the worst thing

I'm debating whether or not to add Garrison Bros or Barrell bottles to the list, since those bottles are interesting but I'd never buy them for myself, but the problem is those are the bottles I'd almost certainly end up with since every store has a million of them 

5 minutes ago, Fud said:

That's one of those bottles that I already buy about once a month. I suppose getting reinforcements for my regular drinkers isn't the worst thing

I'm debating whether or not to add Garrison Bros or Barrell bottles to the list, since those bottles are interesting but I'd never buy them for myself, but the problem is those are the bottles I'd almost certainly end up with since every store has a million of them 

Hard pass. 

I do want to try Garrison Bros Cowboy at some point though. 

1 minute ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Hard pass. 

I do want to try Garrison Bros Cowboy at some point though. 

I actually got a Barrell bottle as a gift that was some sort of group pick that I liked a lot, I couldn't even find an online review of it, but I never feel like trying to figure out which of those bottles are worth buying

Someone I know swears by Balmorhea, which would be the upper limit of something I'd be comfortable with one of them buying 

1 minute ago, Fud said:

I actually got a Barrell bottle as a gift that was some sort of group pick that I liked a lot, I couldn't even find an online review of it, but I never feel like trying to figure out which of those bottles are worth buying

Someone I know swears by Balmorhea, which would be the upper limit of something I'd be comfortable with one of them buying 

Balmorhea is fine, but it has this Texas funk to it. 

13 minutes ago, RichUT said:

Yep. Please keep passing on Barrell. It’s piss and everyone should leave it on the shelf so I can continue to find it easily.

deal

I'll even mail you my half full Dovetail if you like.

If you’re buying Dovetail and using that to pass judgement on their full line, then I can’t help you. Their standard bourbon releases are really fucking great. They like to experiment with different blends and finishes, but always sell those under a clearly identified sub-brand.

Batches 25 and 26 of the bourbon were fantastic pours and well worth the $80 price tag. I’ve heard similarly positive reviews of 27 and 28.

7 minutes ago, RichUT said:

If you’re buying Dovetail and using that to pass judgement on their full line, then I can’t help you. Their standard bourbon releases are really fucking great. They like to experiment with different blends and finishes, but always sell those under a clearly identified sub-brand.

Batches 25 and 26 of the bourbon were fantastic pours and well worth the $80 price tag. I’ve heard similarly positive reviews of 27 and 28.

Specs has like ten different bottles on the shelf, so I don't bother trying to figure out which to get. So the generic Batches are the way to go?

18 minutes ago, RichUT said:

I bought the Dovetail as it was getting great reviews.  You can help me.  Maybe I will buy a 25-28.

17 minutes ago, Fud said:

Specs has like ten different bottles on the shelf, so I don't bother trying to figure out which to get. So the generic Batches are the way to go?

There are no generic batches, but the way they manage their releases and the sheer breadth of product they are distributing does take some work to stay on top of.

The core Bourbon and Rye expressions use a linear and straight forward batch numbering format, although once in awhile you will see a derivative batch that ends in b (e.g., Batch 8b). That apparently happened more earlier, when some of the blended batches sat in a barrel for longer than expected and developed a different flavor profile than the original batch number. I haven't see one of those in awhile. You can read about each of the core batch releases at https://www.barrellbourbon.com/bourbon and https://www.barrellbourbon.com/rye.

Beyond those, they have the Craft Spirits line (15 year old and very expensive), experimental stuff (Dovetail, Armida, Seagrass, Infinity, etc.), a barrel pick program (usually has a weird alpha numeric batch like DSX1), and the new Private Release bourbon (micro blended releases using KY/TN/IN distillate of varying ages and percentages). I haven't tried the Private Release stuff yet, as I need to dial back on buying for a minute to right size my collection.

I'd suggest sticking to the core Bourbon releases unless you really seek out things that are unique and different to the point of not necessarily reading like a traditional bourbon or rye. 25 and 26 were the first batches that used a wheated bourbon as part of the blend, and everyone I have share those with has come away a big fan.

• Hook 'Em 1

57 minutes ago, RichUT said:

There are no generic batches, but the way they manage their releases and the sheer breadth of product they are distributing does take some work to stay on top of.

The core Bourbon and Rye expressions use a linear and straight forward batch numbering format, although once in awhile you will see a derivative batch that ends in b (e.g., Batch 8b). That apparently happened more earlier, when some of the blended batches sat in a barrel for longer than expected and developed a different flavor profile than the original batch number. I haven't see one of those in awhile. You can read about each of the core batch releases at https://www.barrellbourbon.com/bourbon and https://www.barrellbourbon.com/rye.

Beyond those, they have the Craft Spirits line (15 year old and very expensive), experimental stuff (Dovetail, Armida, Seagrass, Infinity, etc.), a barrel pick program (usually has a weird alpha numeric batch like DSX1), and the new Private Release bourbon (micro blended releases using KY/TN/IN distillate of varying ages and percentages). I haven't tried the Private Release stuff yet, as I need to dial back on buying for a minute to right size my collection.

I'd suggest sticking to the core Bourbon releases unless you really seek out things that are unique and different to the point of not necessarily reading like a traditional bourbon or rye. 25 and 26 were the first batches that used a wheated bourbon as part of the blend, and everyone I have share those with has come away a big fan.

MIUf7c8.gif?noredirect

2 hours ago, RichUT said:

I am not an expert, but have had a couple of batches (24 and 25, I think?) and would buy it 10 out of 10 times at MSRP. It's pretty fantastic.

Ordered 25 on TW for $97.41

Will report back

Cigar Blend is fantastic and almost impossible to find on the shelf. If you do see it you won’t pay retail. The only bottle I have came from a trade I made over the summer (for Weller Single Barrel, but I was on the 2 side of a 2-for-1). They come out with a few batches per year. Nancy Fraley is the blender and she does an amazing job with it. She also does Still Austin if I’m not mistaken. 

Rebel Yell 10, 1792 FP, Old Forester 1910 and 1920, Witherspoon’s Texas Whiskey, Four Roses small batch select, Roseville Union rye, Woodinville Rye, Wild Turkey Kentucky Spirit, Wild Turkey Rare Breed and Rare Breed Rye. John J Bowman single barrel

Add a Woodinville store pick barrel strength, a Booker’s and that is one good list to choose from.

On 5/9/2021 at 10:40 PM, billfromlaketravis said:

I desperately want to try this bottle. Is it behind the bar anywhere in Austin? 

Can’t say that I’ve ever seen it behind a bar.  It’s only $200 secondary and should easy to flip out of even if it’s open on the off chance you don’t like it. 

I feel like he was talking about something else, which is pretty daft all things considered.

You quoted a reply I made that was specific to Magnus Cigar Blend. Given that, I (daftly?) assumed that the purchase you made was….Magnus Cigar Blend.

I guess I’m the idoit?