Bourbon

Jimbaround

that's where i am.  i bought last year's release (for i wanna say $160) but just saw the 2021 on the shelf last week for $232.  could not pull the trigger.

Retail is still $160-ish. Secondary value tops out at $200, so $232 is a healthy markup.

I think Balmorhea is their best expression, but I haven’t had Laguna Madre yet. Trying that one tonight.

At the distillery this past Saturday. That was release day for the 2021 edition.

What time did you get in line? I have a friend that is a GB nutzo and he got in line out on the road at 0230 and was probably #40. He sent me a pic at daybreak and there was a line of cars as far as you could see

What time did you get in line? I have a friend that is a GB nutzo and he got in line out on the road at 0230 and was probably #40. He sent me a pic at daybreak and there was a line of cars as far as you could see

I didn’t go for this one. I’m in a neighborhood whiskey club, and two other guys made the trek to pick up a couple of bottles for the group.

They left at 5 AM. Not sure of their place in line, but I saw GB post around noon on Saturday that they still had a few bottle left for sale. I really thought this one would sell out before the line ended. Going forward, I’m thinking arriving around noon for launch events is the smart play, as the big line will be gone and they’ll still have bottles available for sale.

1 hour ago, RichUT said:

You quoted a reply I made that was specific to Magnus Cigar Blend. Given that, I (daftly?) assumed that the purchase you made was….Magnus Cigar Blend.

I guess I’m the idoit?

Idoit here too.  I said I ordered 25 which referred to the Barrell release.  I think you could have thought I meant I ordered 25 bottles of Cigar for $97. 

That would have been pretty cool.

1 hour ago, RichUT said:

You quoted a reply I made that was specific to Magnus Cigar Blend. Given that, I (daftly?) assumed that the purchase you made was….Magnus Cigar Blend.

I guess I’m the idoit?

Idoit here too.  I said I ordered 25 which referred to the Barrell release.  I think you could have thought I meant I ordered 25 bottles of Cigar for $97. 

2 hours ago, huge said:

Even one bottle of Cigar Blend Batch 25 (which also uses batch numbers) at $97 would have been cool.

Had a few coins in my pocket and stopped in to Twin Liquors. Walked out with a bottle of Still Austin and all three sizes of BT. Which brings me to this: at what point do you pass on a bottle?

This question was asked in our local club yesterday and it made me think. A few years ago I would regularly pass on Blanton’s, ER, and EHT SiB because I had plenty. Over the last two years those have all become tater bait and are virtually impossible to find, and if you do find them they’re priced higher than eagle pussy. So I’ve adopted the mindset that if and when I find any of my regular drinkers for close to retail I will buy them.

It's an interesting question. I probably have enough Eagle Rare and Antique for the rest of my lifetime. If it's not a store pick, I get slightly annoyed when I'm "compelled" to buy them. I've seen Eagle Rare on the shelf before and pretended like I didn't see it. 

Blanton's has alluded me for about a year now. Nothing. Zilch. No calls. No we have some in the back. Nothing. I've been blanked. A friend recently offered me a pour of McKenna 10 or Blanton's. I like McKenna better, but I choose Blanton's because it had been months since I tasted it. If I did find it,  I'd buy two and probably call it a day. 

EHT SiB is always a buy for me. It keeps getting harder to find, and you never know when you might run into a good barrel. 

Buffalo Trace Store Picks are also an automatic buy for me. They're always good, and I go through them pretty fast. It's the perfect weekday drinker. 

1 hour ago, Herbie Hancock said:

Had a few coins in my pocket and stopped in to Twin Liquors. Walked out with a bottle of Still Austin and all three sizes of BT. Which brings me to this: at what point do you pass on a bottle?

EHT SiB 

Does not compute.  You must have stocked up back in the day.

1 hour ago, Herbie Hancock said:

This question was asked in our local club yesterday and it made me think. A few years ago I would regularly pass on Blanton’s, ER, and EHT SiB because I had plenty. Over the last two years those have all become tater bait and are virtually impossible to find, and if you do find them they’re priced higher than eagle pussy. So I’ve adopted the mindset that if and when I find any of my regular drinkers for close to retail I will buy them.

i'd say there are 100-1000 bourbons on the shelf in every liquor store of any given town, so we are all passing on bottles regularly.  my shelves are full and overflowing so have gotten pretty selective.  i saw eagle rare on the shelf last week and passed on it.  blantons is my all time favorite, and have two unopened and one opened but i'd probably still pick that one up.  

22 minutes ago, HouTex said:

As I’m enjoying WT 101 this evening with Israel under attack I just don’t get the angst from chasing all of the crazy expensive Bourbon.

No angst here. I don't hunt. I've got a spot where I get a reasonable number of allocated bottles at MSRP in exchange for funneling most of my business their way. I definitely don't get everything, but I get enough. If there is something specific I want, the secondary market always has it. If the cost is too much there, then I must not want it that much.

There is also a shit load of really good stuff consistently available such that I don't need to fall back on having any one daily drinker or value bourbon in my collection. There is a happy medium between drinking the cheap stuff all the time and suffering from FOMO over not having every single unicorn out there.

6 minutes ago, T’Boo Ted Marshall said:

Not that I have seen. I found a place up north that had them at retail thought I might take a flyer on the SiB and FP.

I’ve heard Full Proof is the best, shocker. I imagine they’ll fly off the shelf when they hit Texas and become bottom shelters within a few months. But I wish they’d get here already. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, HouTex said:

That there is so much complaining and whining about how expensive the hard to get stuff has become when there is a lot of really good stuff out there at reasonable prices.

on here or in general?  dont see a lot of complaining and whining here.  just a lot of dudes posting their cool shit.

• Hook 'Em 1

13 hours ago, HouTex said:

That there is so much complaining and whining about how expensive the hard to get stuff has become when there is a lot of really good stuff out there at reasonable prices.

Meh, it’s all relative. Most people on this board are hobbiest. They already enjoy the good bourbon at reasonable prices. They regularly recommend it when anyone asks. Some people want to find the rare stuff. Some people are willing to pay high prices. Some are not. It’s a bourbon thread. It happens. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Cracked the Laguna Madre last night. I'd say it climbed to the top of my GB rankings, though it's a tough value proposition both in absolute terms and relative to Balmorhea. It has a lot of the normal GB profile, but there are other things on top of it that make it a more complex whiskey. I'd rather have it over Balmorhea if money isn't involved, but I'd rather have a bottle of Balmorhea and $140 than a bottle of Laguna Madre.

We also cracked open a bottle of Barrell Seagrass and I really really liked it. I wasn't quite sure what to expect after buying Armida and not really loving how heavily the casks influenced the bourbon, but they got it right with this one. The rye backbone is definitely there, but there are all kinds of other delicious things happening alongside of it.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Neonmoon said:

Meh, it’s all relative. Most people on this board are hobbiest. They already enjoy the good bourbon at reasonable prices. They regularly recommend it when anyone asks. Some people want to find the rare stuff. Some people are willing to pay high prices. Some are not. It’s a bourbon thread. It happens. 

Yea, the posters here are not as bad as some hobbyists in other areas.  The wine geeks, for example, on some wine boards think it's their God-given right to get current vintages of classified Bordeaux at 1980 prices for around $35 per bottle for First Growths and around $15 per bottle for Second-Fifth Growths.  No one but them are qualified to truly enjoy the best wines in the world so they blame the producers, the negociants, the exchange rates, governments, the three tier system, etc.  They rarely acknowledge that market forces are largely responsible for the current state of the wine market.  A growing group of people around the globe with more $$ than ever are chasing a fixed amount of product.  That leads me to a question:  Is the bourbon craze going on world wide or is it mostly an American thing? 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, HouTex said:

Yea, the posters here are not as bad as some hobbyists in other areas.  The wine geeks, for example, on some wine boards think it's their God-given right to get current vintages of classified Bordeaux at 1980 prices for around $35 per bottle for First Growths and around $15 per bottle for Second-Fifth Growths.  No one but them are qualified to truly enjoy the best wines in the world so they blame the producers, the negociants, the exchange rates, governments, the three tier system, etc.  They rarely acknowledge that market forces are largely responsible for the current state of the wine market.  A growing group of people around the globe with more $$ than ever are chasing a fixed amount of product.  That leads me to a question:  Is the bourbon craze going on world wide or is it mostly an American thing? 

Don't you worry. There's plenty of three tier bitching in this thread. 

• Haha 1

23 hours ago, thrillhammer said:

i'd say there are 100-1000 bourbons on the shelf in every liquor store of any given town, so we are all passing on bottles regularly.  my shelves are full and overflowing so have gotten pretty selective.  i saw eagle rare on the shelf last week and passed on it.  blantons is my all time favorite, and have two unopened and one opened but i'd probably still pick that one up.  

If I see ER , Blantons, Rare Breed, EHTaylor I buy...  I have a few bottles of each, but you can never have to many.

4 hours ago, RichUT said:

Cracked the Laguna Madre last night. I'd say it climbed to the top of my GB rankings, though it's a tough value proposition both in absolute terms and relative to Balmorhea. It has a lot of the normal GB profile, but there are other things on top of it that make it a more complex whiskey. I'd rather have it over Balmorhea if money isn't involved, but I'd rather have a bottle of Balmorhea and $140 than a bottle of Laguna Madre.

We also cracked open a bottle of Barrell Seagrass and I really really liked it. I wasn't quite sure what to expect after buying Armida and not really loving how heavily the casks influenced the bourbon, but they got it right with this one. The rye backbone is definitely there, but there are all kinds of other delicious things happening alongside of it.

Better or worse than the GB high rye bourbon? 

10 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Elijah Craig Rye is hitting Houston. Of course I bought a bottle from Blackwell’s this past weekend. That shipping charge really stings. 

Got a bottle last week. First pour wasn't very good, will revisit this weekend. Old Overholt BIB was noticeably better at about $8 cheaper, but again, I need to revisit 

30 minutes ago, Longhornfan1024 said:

Out of the house for awhile and without my bourbon so I picked up a bottle of EW SiB on, I think, the recommendation of this thread. This is really good for a 25 dollar bottle.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

It might be the best bourbon under 25. 

• Like 2

On 5/12/2021 at 10:30 AM, RichUT said:

Interesting. After a year with an open Balmorhea I might rather have 0 bottles and $160.  

• Like 1

I’m probably in the minority here, but I like OGD BiB better OGD114. 114 tastes like a hot peanut boil, but it has its merits in Pour Man’s Four Grain. 

Evan Williams BiB is the cheapest bourbon I’ll drink neat. I think it should replace Jack and Jim as the house whiskey/bourbon at many bars.