Bourbon

Jimbaround

On 9/7/2021 at 1:18 PM, smwhorn said:

Was visiting our offspring in the Washington DC area and wandered into a random liquor store next to where we had lunch.

Eagle Rare (prob 12 bottles on the shelf) -- $59.99

Blanton's (2 bottles) $159.99

EHT (4 or 5 bottles)  $119

Weller 107 (1 bottle)  $199

Made no purchases at these prices.

Would have bought all 12 bottles

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Still a little bubble gummy, but it’s the only Whistlepig I would recommend. 

I have a predilection for smoother, sweeter spirits.  Dad brought back a bottle from his trip to Scotland - god help me, it was an ashtray in a bottle.  Amazing, but still.  I think that is why I'm trending more towards the Japanese whiskeys.  Working on a bottle of Yamato Small Batch right now.  Dangerously good.  

11 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

What are your thoughts on Blade and Bow by Blanton's?  

I assume you’re getting in a bundle? Blade and Bow is a Diageo product. The 22 year is supposed to be really good if you afford it.

I’m one of the few, but I like Diageo’s older products. IW Harper 15 is pretty solid, but too expensive. 

If the Blade and Bow is age stated 15 years or older, I’d probably pull the trigger if its reasonably priced. Just don’t buy that Blade and Bow s*** that Total Wine guy hocks like a used car salesman. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I assume you’re getting in a bundle? Blade and Bow is a Diageo product. The 22 year is supposed to be really good if you afford it.

I’m one of the few, but I like Diageo’s older products. IW Harper 15 is pretty solid, but too expensive. 

If the Blade and Bow is age stated 15 years or olde, I’d probably pull the trigger if it reasonably priced. Just don’t buy that Blade and Bow s*** that Total Wine guy hocks like a used car salesman. 

Need to up my game.  Many thanks!  What is your "go-to" or "can't miss" these days?  Say...< $100/bottle?

1 hour ago, BabaYaga said:

Need to up my game.  Many thanks!  What is your "go-to" or "can't miss" these days?  Say...< $100/bottle?

I believe we’re talking readily available. 

Russell’s Reserve SiB store picks, $60 range. Jack SiB Rye store picks you want a rye, $55 range. 

If you want to drop under $50, I’d go with Old Forester 1870. OF Rye is also really good in the under $30 range. 

The cheapest thing I’ll drink is Early Times BiB. Under $21 for a liter. I just can’t do it anymore with Evan Williams BiB. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Well you already screwed the pooch. The one on the left is the Small Batch, not the Small Batch Select that has gotten mostly favorable reviews around here. The one you snagged is a good mixer I guess but I’m not drinking it meat or on the rocks. I like the single barrel alright, it just lacks depth but not a bad flavor at all.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, Herbie Hancock said:

Well you already screwed the pooch. The one on the left is the Small Batch, not the Small Batch Select that has gotten mostly favorable reviews around here. The one you snagged is a good mixer I guess but I’m not drinking it meat or on the rocks. I like the single barrel alright, it just lacks depth but not a bad flavor at all.

Furk. 

• Haha 2

On 9/12/2021 at 4:01 AM, 52-80 said:

U ppl better be right about these things

76895509-0E22-4BE3-A5CD-58E2F1052123.jpeg

I think you didn't pretty well here. I really like Four Rose SiB. There are better things on the shelf, but it's always good. 

Small Batch is good too, but you'll like Small Batch Select more when you get around to trying it. 

17 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Weller CYPB incoming. I'm gruntled. 

I'd rather sell it for $700 or whatever ridiculous shit it is going for now and buy something better.

But then again I don't have one on my shelf so my ideas are mooted.

Got into some Hancock last night.  Best 88.9 you are going to find.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Hank Kingsley said:

Would love to get your thoughts on CYPB after you open it, Bill. 

That and Weller Single Barrel are unicorns but I haven't seen very many positive reviews of either. 

I've decided to drink it and not flip it. The people selling it to me expect that, and I'll honor it. So you'll get your review eventually. 

You might have some luck running down a bottle at Whiskey Cake in Friendswood. I wouldn't recommend the Stafford location. Bourbon dads have picked that place clean. 

I went into WB Liquors on Richmond the other day after the BT drops. One of the employees said people are following the delivery truck all around town and hitting up every Costco to snag bottles. He also said a couple of dudes bought bottles and then came back 15 minutes later in different clothes with mask covering to try and buy more. Fucking assholes. 

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Hank Kingsley said:

I went into WB Liquors on Richmond the other day after the BT drops. One of the employees said people are following the delivery truck all around town and hitting up every Costco to snag bottles. He also said a couple of dudes bought bottles and then came back 15 minutes later in different clothes with mask covering to try and buy more. Fucking assholes. 

Get. A. Fucking. Real. Job. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis
  • Hook 'Em 2

5 hours ago, huge said:

Yeah Hank a Rummel Creek guy we know got a bottle of white.  I'll wait for his review as well.  I think blue>>>>>>>white>orange

I'll never buy a white or orange Weller unless it's at MSRP. Which means I probably won't get one, but whatever.

Blue Weller is a must have though. Hopefully I can get a bottle by the end of the year.