Bourbon

Jimbaround

Barrell makes delicious shit that routinely contains individual components that many people turn their noses up at. They have been killing it for awhile and most of the recent batches use some combo of KY/TN/IN juice. Blending is a whole different game and you shouldn't just look at a list of components and rule something out because you don't like one by itself.

That is more of a matter of me defending blending as a process than me defending Disco 7, which I've obviously never had. At this point I've had 5 out of the 6 Discovery blends and 4 of the 5 I've tried have been very good to fucking great. So their hit rate here is pretty strong. 

• Like 2

I don’t know how I never realized this. McKenna, EWSiB, and 4R SmB were my go-to rotation back in my early days. Can’t remember the last time I’ve bought any of them, but nostalgia may lead to an impulse buy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I've found a couple McKennas lately. Still very good, even at the new price point.

Haha no. I need to make a liquor store run today and I want to avoid that location. 

Tilted Bottle was posting since 8am and was trolling the masses with vague “products I won’t mention” posts, so I’m sure lots of dads were out on 90 minute donut runs.

• Haha 1

37 minutes ago, H_Boogie said:

Tilted Bottle was posting since 8am and was trolling the masses with vague “products I won’t mention” posts, so I’m sure lots of dads were out on 90 minute donut runs.

If it was 95 deep for Heaven Hill BiB, they need Jesus in Dallas. 

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

So the thread consensus is that Decades is the best Master’s Keep? 

I really liked the Master’s Keep Rye. 

I like the 17 BiB a ton, finished one and on my second along with having 3 backups.  Cornerstone only exists to prove that Rare Breed Rye doesn’t have to be so angry.  I need to find one of the OG 17 year low proofers so I can say for sure.  

• Hook 'Em 1

On 11/21/2021 at 9:35 AM, Neonmoon said:

I would kill for ER these days. I moved to a state that doesn’t get much. I subsist on Old Forester series 

The son in law just laid a half gallon of the ER big boy bottle on me last week. Christmas is saved !!

When I can’t find ER Bulleit orange label has been my daily go to.

Also had the chance to drink a few healthy pours of the Weller full proof 114, damn it was smooth, and that was neat.

On 11/27/2021 at 6:48 PM, H_Boogie said:

So different than everything. I’m on bottle 4. Haven’t seen it disappearing yet so haven’t gone on a stock up spree. Don’t have a comparison.

I don’t love the price on Seagrass, but I’ll give it a shot. 

I’ve been very selective lately. Trying to keep my powder dry for the late fall releases which are taking longer than expected to get here. 

Brother in law is one of these who blows his wad chasing bourbon and waiting outside liquor stores like he's in the year 2000 waiting outside Walmart all night for a PS2 launch. I don't get it but it's not my time and money wasted. 

I enjoy a good scotch occasionally but haven't cared for bourbon so haven't tried any in years. What's the consensus on the best bottle of bourbon I could walk into a specs or total wine and buy tomorrow? I'd like to try one to see if I like it any better than 20 years ago. 

7 hours ago, Hermanator said:

Brother in law is one of these who blows his wad chasing bourbon and waiting outside liquor stores like he's in the year 2000 waiting outside Walmart all night for a PS2 launch. I don't get it but it's not my time and money wasted. 

I enjoy a good scotch occasionally but haven't cared for bourbon so haven't tried any in years. What's the consensus on the best bottle of bourbon I could walk into a specs or total wine and buy tomorrow? I'd like to try one to see if I like it any better than 20 years ago. 

I'd recommend a bottle of Old Forester (Statesman or 1920), Four Roses Small Batch, or Michters. 

All should be on the shelf and are really good bourbons. 

7 hours ago, Hermanator said:

Russell's Reserve SiB Store Pick or Maker's Mark FAE-01. 

12 hours ago, Hermanator said:

Wild Turkey Rare Breed or Maker's Private Select

Edited by elguapo
  • Hook 'Em 1

12 hours ago, Hermanator said:

Personally, I would break into the BILs stash and try a few different things.

• Hook 'Em 1

13 hours ago, Hermanator said:

Old Forester 1920, Wild Turkey Rare Breed and Four Roses SB are all very good.  

Barrell makes delicious shit that routinely contains individual components that many people turn their noses up at. They have been killing it for awhile and most of the recent batches use some combo of KY/TN/IN juice. Blending is a whole different game and you shouldn't just look at a list of components and rule something out because you don't like one by itself.
That is more of a matter of me defending blending as a process than me defending Disco 7, which I've obviously never had. At this point I've had 5 out of the 6 Discovery blends and 4 of the 5 I've tried have been very good to fucking great. So their hit rate here is pretty strong. 

My infinity bottle would agree with you. It’s full of great stuff and lesser than the sum of its parts.

Man that’s tough. It’s so subjective. For instance I’d say Old Forrester 1910 (I like it better than 1920).

Barrell seems to stay stocked but I wouldn’t know which one to get, they aren’t cheap.