Bourbon

Jimbaround

Keep an eye on the ER supply in the places you frequent, HG.  My local place used to routinely have 8-10 bottles on the shelf plus handles occasionally, but the last few times I've been there, there was no ER to be had.  Not sure if that's something unique to that location or if we're starting to see a shortage of it out here.
I was all excited to find ER10 and maybe Blantons on the shelf when i was in Napa. Saw nothing i can't get here.

24 minutes ago, Horn of Gabriel said:

7c1b27d168582af48310a1a50a47ecb7.jpg

023c235e57e0af73c5ddb2833517c7e3.jpg

Took a little day trip out to Blanco today to visit Milam & Greene. I’m not as expert as some of y’all on this thread but I like their single barrel bourbon a lot, really smooth. I also picked up a bottle of the Distillery Edition (115p) and 13-year edition (120p), both very tasty.

How's the tour? I really like Blanco. I try to limit my beer intake, but the Real Ale visit was a lot of fun. 

1 hour ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Let’s see what all the fuss is about this pick. 

3C0C5DA3-3CA8-4F9F-AEFD-BEAA33021400.thumb.jpeg.a2c9ec8a05d39db79385e2a934a76ba7.jpeg08293460-0060-4C20-BE67-D268C0F25E33.thumb.jpeg.65fac3c4dcd0d71321ba4f4894f616f1.jpeg

We cracked one of those open at Christmas.   It's definitely got a bite and is nothing like anything else I've ever had from JD.   I'm contemplating grabbing another bottle before they become too scarce.

Would love to get my hands on that ECSB.

1 minute ago, Macanudo said:

We cracked one of those open at Christmas.   It's definitely got a bite and is nothing like anything else I've ever had from JD.   I'm contemplating grabbing another bottle before they become too scarce.

Would love to get my hands on that ECSB.

Quality/age wise, it's probably the closest I'll get to Coy Hill unless I go to the secondary market. 

It's excellent, and beats the doors off the regular SiBs. I think this one is much closer to 7 years than 4. I'll ask my Spec's guy next time I'm in the store. 

• Like 1

On 1/13/2022 at 8:10 PM, Party_Taco said:

There’s a first time for everything!

Digging it - Pretty unique389da02c1c648f8a32a0c3c49c92fd71.jpg

My favorite by far. But good luck finding it anymore and it being the same once it does start showing back up now that Sazerac owns it. Guess I'll just have to stick to Old Forester in the future if they fuck it up.

• Like 1

How's the tour? I really like Blanco. I try to limit my beer intake, but the Real Ale visit was a lot of fun. 

They were doing expansion of the work floor so the tour wasn’t open (will be open in the Spring) but the tasting room was open. Blanco is a fun place and an easy 1 hr drive from North Austin, and there are several different distilleries out there as well as breweries.

Just now, Horn of Gabriel said:

They were doing expansion of the work floor so the tour wasn’t open (will be open in the Spring) but the tasting room was open. Blanco is a fun place and an easy 1 hr drive from North Austin, and there are several different distilleries out there as well as breweries.

It'll probably grow too much, but it's my list for retirement towns. San Marcos is definitely out. 

This Still Austin cask strength is the best Texas bourbon I’ve had yet.  Although it’s way more of a Kentucky profile than TX style, but it hides the youth well and has some great sweet caramel and lighter fruit notes.  I’m not sure I’d pick it to drink neat over most of the rest of what I have open, but it made a great toddy and I threw it in a decanter for cocktail use.  

E74A8ABA-4E89-4CB9-B38F-1A4A094D3CAA.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, USCATX said:

This Still Austin cask strength is the best Texas bourbon I’ve had yet.  Although it’s way more of a Kentucky profile than TX style, but it hides the youth well and has some great sweet caramel and lighter fruit notes.  I’m not sure I’d pick it to drink neat over most of the rest of what I have open, but it made a great toddy and I threw it in a decanter for cocktail use.  

E74A8ABA-4E89-4CB9-B38F-1A4A094D3CAA.jpeg

I bought another bottle of Still Austin Cask Strength yesterday . It's Harry Potter level sorcery to be a 2 year old bourbon. 

Single Malt pick I was involved with in June finally fucking came in.
I know Balcones isn’t everyone’s cup of tea, but this one is god damn delicious.
And it’s over 6 years old which is unheard of for them.
Only got 48 bottles out of the barrel it was so old.
And did a trade for the OF.
First one of these I have actually owned.
52e527ba213dfd7fb01d72dd99161e73.jpg
11d8e909ea5bba9227a538caf6b1f043.jpg

• Like 2

Brown-Forman knows their way around high proof bourbon. Woodford Reserve Batch Proof, the Spec’s JD pick, and OF SiB were all fire in 2021. 

That said, I think they’re getting too cute with the Woodford Reserve Master’s Collection. We like well aged products or high proof products. Not weird mashbills. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis
  • Like 2

Decided to spend a windy and cool Saturday checking out some Klein/The Woodlands/Conroe/Porter places today.   

Picked up another Bottle of the JD SBBF, another bottle of the Willet 4 year rye and both the port and rum casked Breck whiskeys.   

Going to side by side the Brecks tonight with their normal whiskey and see how they compare. I've had them all before but I don't think in comparison.

Saw the EC18, some Stagg Jr and some EHT SB on shelves but the stores that had them wanted ungodly amounts for them.  

What's the deal with Kentucky Owl?   I see it all over town but at price points that aren't worth it.   A store near me is trying to unload a bottle of their Confiscated for $210.   He's had it since 2020.   At least 7-8 other stores I've been to in the last few weeks still have one or more bottles for sell at least 50-75% above regular retail.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, KeysPhoneWallet said:

Interesting. Do you like regular woodford or the double Oaked?

I loved last years Master’s Collection No 16 and also last year’s batch proof.  Regular Woodford is fine and I’ve never had Double Oaked. 

Edited by USCATX

What's the deal with Kentucky Owl?

Stoli owns the brand and partnered with Dixon Dedman to select sourced Kentucky juice to sell at a premium. I’ve had most of them, and none of them are bad. That said, they priced them high because, presumably, sourced Kentucky whiskey of any age/quality is getting pricey and I’m sure Dixon was well compensated. I like Confiscated the least and the Wiseman Bourbon batch 3 the most. I never walked away feeling like any of them worth the asking price at MSRP.
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, RichUT said:

Stoli owns the brand and partnered with Dixon Dedman to select sourced Kentucky juice to sell at a premium. I’ve had most of them, and none of them are bad. That said, they priced them high because, presumably, sourced Kentucky whiskey of any age/quality is getting pricey and I’m sure Dixon was well compensated. I like Confiscated the least and the Wiseman Bourbon batch 3 the most. I never walked away feeling like any of them worth the asking price at MSRP.

Batch 9 of the bourbon and Batches 1-2 of the rye are bangers.  I’d buy them all day long at retail.  When I cracked my ‘21 Handy and wasn’t instantly in love I poured a KO Batch 1 rye to compare and it absolutely smoked the Handy.  It’s pretty much my benchmark of the Kentucky style mid/barely legal rye category.  And now that Stagg Jr is at KO Bourbon retail prices on secondary I’m not sure batches 9 and 10 are a bad deal at retail.  

49 minutes ago, Yev Kassem said:

If you guys see the  new Penelope Light Whiskey (13 year) go pick it up. Great stuff. I found some at WB for $90 

I bought a Texas Select toasted last week. I remembered liking it at the Houston Whiskey Social. We’ll see. I don’t think it’s priced well, but hey nothing new ever is. 

7 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I bought a Texas Select toasted last week. I remembered liking it at the Houston Whiskey Social. We’ll see. I don’t think it’s priced well, but hey nothing new ever is. 

Yeah, the Texas Toasted is great too. I think that one is around $60-$70. The Light Whiskey is 13 years old, so based on other 13 year product that’s available $90 is a pretty good deal considering how good it is. 

6 minutes ago, Yev Kassem said:

Yeah, the Texas Toasted is great too. I think that one is around $60-$70. The Light Whiskey is 13 years old, so based on other 13 year product that’s available $90 is a pretty good deal considering how good it is. 

I assume the Penelope Light Whiskey is the same stuff High West was selling a few years back? They both source from MGP, so you’d figure it all came from the same place.