Bourbon

Jimbaround

1 hour ago, Herbie Hancock said:

Larceny BP $27
Stagg jr $23

Wtf?

I had a 2oz pour of Stagg Jr for $20 at dinner tonight.

At Disney, everything is ridiculously overpriced, so this is fairly standard. It even seems reasonable, compared to the $25 burger you just bought your kid that they'll likely only eat a quarter of. 

• Like 1

Well fellow Bourbon enthusiasts, put a cork in me.   I'm done.   My adventure into Bourbon Land have brought to a head that I need to quit.   Not just collecting but drinking.   It's a decision I should have made years ago due to my personal behavior with alcohol and my family history.  So, I'm out.  I have a collection of unopened bottles that I need to get rid of.   I'm not looking for a big score or even getting back what I paid for any of this.   I just need to unload these to someone who can responsibly enjoy them at a price everyone can appreciate.  I'm in NE Houston and perfectly happy to meet at a mid point within 45-60 minutes/miles of driving.   If anyone is interested, let me know.

What I have:

Baker's Single Barrel 7 Year

Booker's Noe Stranger 2021-04

Breckenridge Bourbon Whiskey

Eagle Rare 10 Year

EHT Small Batch

Four Rose's Small Batch Select

Jack Daniel's Single Barrel Barrel Proof

Michter's Single Barrel Rye

Michter's Single Barrel 

Smoke Wagon Uncut/Unfiltered

Wild Turkey Rare Breed Rye

Wild Turkey Rare Breed Barrel Proof

Willet Family Estate Rye (two bottles of this)

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Macanudo said:

Well fellow Bourbon enthusiasts, put a cork in me.   I'm done.   My adventure into Bourbon Land have brought to a head that I need to quit.   Not just collecting but drinking.   It's a decision I should have made years ago due to my personal behavior with alcohol and my family history.  So, I'm out.  I have a collection of unopened bottles that I need to get rid of.   I'm not looking for a big score or even getting back what I paid for any of this.   I just need to unload these to someone who can responsibly enjoy them at a price everyone can appreciate.  I'm in NE Houston and perfectly happy to meet at a mid point within 45-60 minutes/miles of driving.   If anyone is interested, let me know.

What I have:

Eagle Rare 10 Year

EHT Small Batch

Michter's Single Barrel 

I'm interested in all of the bottles I highlighted. 

A couple questions : 

1) Is the Willet Family Estate Rye a single barrel or a small batch? 

2) Is the JD Barrel Proof a pick or a master distiller selected? 

You can PM with about what you're looking for numbers wise. 

1 hour ago, Macanudo said:

What I have:

Eagle Rare 10 Year

EHT Small Batch

Michter's Single Barrel 

It's important to know when to say when. The line between bourbon enthusiast and problem drinker can be pretty fine. 

I am interested in the highlighted bottles. Please PM with your asking price.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I'm interested in all of the bottles I highlighted. 

A couple questions : 

1) Is the Willet Family Estate Rye a single barrel or a small batch? 

2) Is the JD Barrel Proof a pick or a master distiller selected? 

You can PM with about what you're looking for numbers wise. 

1.  Small batch

2.  Master distiller

10 hours ago, Macanudo said:

What I have:

-Baker's Single Barrel 7 Year

-Booker's Noe Stranger 2021-04

-Breckenridge Bourbon Whiskey

-Eagle Rare 10 Year

-EHT Small Batch

-Four Rose's Small Batch Select

-Jack Daniel's Single Barrel Barrel Proof

Michter's Single Barrel 

-Smoke Wagon Uncut/Unfiltered

-Wild Turkey Rare Breed Rye

-Wild Turkey Rare Breed Barrel Proof

I am also in NE Houston, Bridgeland to be exact, and I am interested in your wares. I have a very large dry bar I built recently, and lots of empty shelf space to fill. I would be happy to take most or all of it off your hands for a fair price. 

11 hours ago, Macanudo said:

What I have:

Eagle Rare 10 Year

EHT Small Batch

Michter's Single Barrel 

I admire your honesty and self awareness in this instance.  Good luck!  Confession is bad for the reputation but good for the soul.   The wise man will choose the soul.  

I am also in NE Houston, Bridgeland to be exact, and I am interested in your wares. I have a very large dry bar I built recently, and lots of empty shelf space to fill. I would be happy to take most or all of it off your hands for a fair price. 

Either your wife typed that or you got into the bourbon because Bridgeland is NW.

Good for you Mac. Hoping for the best for you.

Not crazy about the price but I think I’m about to get one of these.  

https://claytonandcrume.com/products/glass-flask

Also saw Evan Williams SB back on the self today for $33 and is Prideful Goat Cast Strength Rye a buy at $58?

PG Rye is pretty damn tasty.
Fucking solid MGP rye. Great dill taste.
It’s a 7 yr so yea $58 is worth it.034be599f5e8ff4b694312cbb59887f2.jpg
  • Hook 'Em 1

12 minutes ago, stork642 said:

Not crazy about the price but I think I’m about to get one of these.  

https://claytonandcrume.com/products/glass-flask

Also saw Evan Williams SB back on the self today for $33 and is Prideful Goat Cast Strength Rye a buy at $58?

Yeah I saw the Clayton and Crume ad on Instagram. It’s a nice looking flask, but $125 is insane. For that price the whole thing better be wrapped in leather. I bet you could hit the glass just right and at least crack it. 

I’d say yes on Prideful Goat Rye, but I probably wouldn’t buy two. It’s good price entry point to figure out if you like cask strength MGP rye. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis
  • Hook 'Em 1

34 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Yeah I saw the Clayton and Crume ad on Instagram. It’s a nice looking flask, but $125 is insane. For that price the whole thing better be wrapped in leather. I bet you could hit the glass just right and at least crack it. 

I’d say yes on Prideful Goat Rye, but I probably wouldn’t buy two. It’s good price entry point to figure out if you like cask strength MGP rye. 

I agree on the price but I willing to try it.  I’ll let you know if it breaks.   Also this is Interesting.  FDA compliant.  

https://agedandore.com/collections/featured/products/bottle-flight

20 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Let's talk flasks. Any truth to the claim that a metal flask tarnishes the flavor of bourbon? Does this thread have a flask recommendation?

I haven't really noticed a difference, but I always fill the flask, and then it drink within a day or two. I use a 8 oz Stanley stainless steel flask. 

I’ve got round Jacob Bromwell.  Love it. Like you I’ll usually finish in a day or two.  Frankly if I’m using a flask I’m also not going to the top shelf and most likely have tossed it in my golf bag on a cool day.  

Back to the flask, it’s solid copper and develops a nice patina and unique character. A few years ago they switched from made in the USA to an outsourced manufacturer.  I say that to say the current listed prices are often steeply discounted (say 70+ %). If you’re interested and willing to keep an eye on it  I’ve waited for those sales and then loaded up so I can pass them out as gifts because they’re great at $50 - 70 even if $300 is crazy 

https://www.jacobbromwell.com/collections/prestige-copper-flasks

Edited by brown water

Had my first try of an Elijah Craig Barrel Proof private barrel and have to say damn, that’s good.  Absolutely zero peanut compared to the heavy note you find in some Heaven Hill products and pretty comparable to a decent Stagg Jr batch.  Alamo City picks almost always go hard, but this easily exceeded expectations.  The only bit to pick would be a pretty heavy ethanol nose on the 130 proof at only 8 years. 

739E2BEC-6061-425E-8296-2FFE80656265.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 2