Bourbon

Jimbaround

Well it’s been a little slow but it picked up today for sure.  Rumor is this Stagg Jr 17 will be the last with Jr on the label.  Not sure if there is any truth to it.  

23C86F7D-8358-46BE-BD60-60E0E6562973.thumb.jpeg.63f702ed51df3f37b863334c46ff3159.jpeg040CC6C1-0D70-4F6A-9637-269386A8345C.thumb.jpeg.58361fd59f98c6e5599a492384ae3c73.jpeg

It's true, the store picks rolling out now have already dropped the Jr. Going for stupid amounts of money on secondary too
  • Hook 'Em 2

On 3/3/2022 at 3:10 PM, BigDHornfan said:

no shit.  you'd think with what's going on in the world, we'd be drinking a fuck ton.   
to add to this thread,

I've got a Bardstown Disco 7 and a 2022 MBSR coming in on Saturday from friends that went to KY this week.  Super fucking pumped.

Disco 7 is all Kentucky, right? Not that 6 sucked or anything, but I’m happy to see them go all Kentucky.

12 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Disco 7 is all Kentucky, right? Not that 6 sucked or anything, but I’m happy to see them go all Kentucky.

Not sure on that, but #5 is overpriced trash.  Call it middling Barton with some Dickel notes mixed in.  It’s not cohesive at all and tastes like money grab with a side of getting Specs’d.  

• Hook 'Em 1

Always curious how these lists get priced. I’m at Sparks in NYC. Meeting with our equity sponsors tomorrow and our CEO had separate plans.  Frankly, feels great to get the evening to myself.  Anyway, to the matter at hand, any guesses on the drink of choice tonight? 

There are more options on the bar than the list but I think I’ve found the diamond in the rough. 

943DAD97-BE14-4C9C-9DEC-4020C246780F.jpeg

2C449A9F-84C7-4F12-ACDD-7B035DC48BD8.jpeg

10DEAE28-51CE-4996-BE26-82D4EF19DD4A.jpeg

A10E0177-E975-4606-9042-0F89D3E2F405.jpeg

3 hours ago, brown water said:

Always curious how these lists get priced. I’m at Sparks in NYC. Meeting with our equity sponsors tomorrow and our CEO had separate plans.  Frankly, feels great to get the evening to myself.  Anyway, to the matter at hand, any guesses on the drink of choice tonight? 

There are more options on the bar than the list but I think I’ve found the diamond in the rough. 

I think it’s $5 plus 25% of the bottle price at low retail except they were high AF after a smoke break when it came time for the Eagle Rare price.  Enjoy your Stagg Jr. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, brown water said:

Pretty GD reasonable for Midtown New York City. Especially the Stagg Jr. I hope you had a good time. 

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, Brew said:

Doesn’t Stagg Jr have a pretty low retail which is what places like that are typically basing it on?

It’s a $1 more than ER10 and $2 more than Buffalo Trace on the menus and 2-2.5 the retail price is those.  It’s cheap compared to its secondary value on that menu while the other two are wildly overpriced. 

15 hours ago, USCATX said:

It’s a $1 more than ER10 and $2 more than Buffalo Trace on the menus and 2-2.5 the retail price is those.  It’s cheap compared to its secondary value on that menu while the other two are wildly overpriced. 

retail here on eagle rare is $29.99, buffalo trace is $24.99 (or cheaper) and stagg, jr, if you can find it, is $49.99, so i can see a restaurant honoring those prices (or the wholesale version) a little bit more than liquor store secondary.  outside of pappy or btac, i've found it's almost always worth it to order the allocated pours at restaurants that offer them.

retail here on eagle rare is $29.99, buffalo trace is $24.99 (or cheaper) and stagg, jr, if you can find it, is $49.99, so i can see a restaurant honoring those prices (or the wholesale version) a little bit more than liquor store secondary.  outside of pappy or btac, i've found it's almost always worth it to order the allocated pours at restaurants that offer them.

Saw a Stagg Jr in the wild yesterday. For the low low price of $149.99 it could be yours!

for what it's worth, i've found stagg jr out in the wild for retail (or gotten calls about it from grocery folks who stashed it) more often than any other allocated bottle - by far (excluding blantons).  i think i've bought 8-10 in the past 2 years never paying over retail.  it's out there.  way more so than elmer, weller 12, michters toasted, etc.

for what it's worth, i've found stagg jr out in the wild for retail (or gotten calls about it from grocery folks who stashed it) more often than any other allocated bottle - by far (excluding blantons).  i think i've bought 8-10 in the past 2 years never paying over retail.  it's out there.  way more so than elmer, weller 12, michters toasted, etc.

The only places in Texas you have been able to find Jr in the last 2-3 years are the places that have it marked at $299+. I did walk into a store in Pueblo, CO around this time last year and he had just sold the last 3 bottles he had for $79 each. They also had WFP for $90 and OWA for $199. Weird up there….

16 hours ago, Herbie Hancock said:

The only places in Texas you have been able to find Jr in the last 2-3 years are the places that have it marked at $299+. I did walk into a store in Pueblo, CO around this time last year and he had just sold the last 3 bottles he had for $79 each. They also had WFP for $90 and OWA for $199. Weird up there….

i agree with gandorf, ive found stagg jr and blantons a few places in texas, moreso than any of the other unicorns. i've probably bought 4 bottles in the past 2 years.

2 hours ago, T’Boo Ted Marshall said:

Walked into a place today that had W12,W107, THH and some others at retail.

However, you had to be part of their club and have 1500 points/$1500 to get them.
Hate that shit.

I think that's a great way to handle it. Reward your regulars rather than the hunters who tail trucks and drive around all day

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Isn’t that just a UK version of their standard single barrel? Price is the same.

Is it worth it? Not any more or less worth their stuff in general. GB scratches a uniqueness itch that’s important to me, so I tend to like their stuff and am fine paying for it. Can you objectively say it’s $40 better than WT Rare Breed? I think that’s probably tough.

1 hour ago, Scooter Monzingo said:

Seriously? I had no idea people followed trucks. 

There are people that will camp outside of Total Wine on a random Thursday in July at 5am in hopes of getting their grubby mitts on a bottle of W12 or Blanton’s. In the words of Bullet Tooth Tony, “Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity.”

• Like 2

On 2/23/2022 at 8:57 PM, stork642 said:

Not crazy about the price but I think I’m about to get one of these.  

https://claytonandcrume.com/products/glass-flask

The wife got me one of these for Christmas. VERY nice flask, but I didn't know it cost that much... Guess I'll be extra careful with it. Taking it on the hog hunt last weekend might have not have been the best decision (it did make it back unscathed).

Would y’all believe me if I told you I’ve drink much more vodka than bourbon this month? 

Give me a Tito’s and Topo Chico over Jack and Coke every day of the week. My committee discontinued Gentleman Jack in the tent.

All will return to normal after rodeo. At least Tito’s is made with corn.