Bourbon

Jimbaround

Is this legit, or a scam that will take your credit card and either charge it to the limit, or send you a bottle of brown water and then disappear? It goes to some distributor in Hong Kong. Is the fbi going to come visit me if I buy it. Seems like a too good to be true scenario. 

https://www.disscor.com/products/w-l-weller-bourbon-12-year-750ml

Edited by Mo Horn

26 minutes ago, Mo Horn said:

Is this legit, or a scam that will take your credit card and either charge it to the limit, or send you a bottle of brown water and then disappear? It goes to some distributor in Hong Kong. Is the fbi going to come visit me if I buy it. Seems like a too good to be true scenario. 

https://www.disscor.com/products/w-l-weller-bourbon-12-year-750ml

Most likely they fill up a bottle with Kentucky Deluxe, and hope you're a potato that's too dumb to tell the difference.

• Hook 'Em 1

32 minutes ago, Hornlover said:

Most likely they fill up a bottle with Kentucky Deluxe, and hope you're a potato that's too dumb to tell the difference.

14 minutes ago, Herbie Hancock said:

It’s 2022. If you have to ask if it’s  a scam, it’s a scam. The only legit places on the internet to find rare bottles are overseas and they’re 2-3x higher than secondary. So once again, it’s a trap. Always. 

That's what I figured. I'd just never seen this site before. 

There a couple back in the day that were legit and badass, but that ship sailed with all the taters on board. Now I just wish it would sink.

CSB, 4-5 years ago BigD and myself could regularly get Blanton’s Gold for $120 shipped and SFTB for $135-140 if memory serves me right. That same website would occasionally have BTAC for $250-$400 depending on the expression. Hindsight and all, fucking hell

7 hours ago, Herbie Hancock said:

There a couple back in the day that were legit and badass, but that ship sailed with all the taters on board. Now I just wish it would sink.

CSB, 4-5 years ago BigD and myself could regularly get Blanton’s Gold for $120 shipped and SFTB for $135-140 if memory serves me right. That same website would occasionally have BTAC for $250-$400 depending on the expression. Hindsight and all, fucking hell

I remember those days fondly. Now it’s all auctions higher than secondary and stupid nonsense.  

52 minutes ago, KeysPhoneWallet said:

Russels single barrel store pick coming soon to Austin area.

Really been loving wt101 and rarebreed.

Falling out of favor: OF100, jd sib rye, OGD114.

OF100 gives me really shitty headaches the next day. It’s delicious, but not worth it in my case.

I wouldn’t give up JD SiB Rye just yet, but I would stay away from any bottle that’s not a store pick. 

Sigh.
  • Like 1

What’s the thread’s consensus on Blue Run High Rye Bourbon Batch 2?

Smells almost exactly like a Werther’s original. Huge caramel profile, with some spice on the back end from the Rye content. It’s tasty, but not terribly complex. It’s probably $40-$50 bourbon that’s being sold for more because they have a sexy bottle.

12 minutes ago, RichUT said:

Smells almost exactly like a Werther’s original. Huge caramel profile, with some spice on the back end from the Rye content. It’s tasty, but not terribly complex. It’s probably $40-$50 bourbon that’s being sold for more because they have a sexy bottle.

I found an extra $50 in my pocket, and pulled the trigger. I’m not proud of myself. 

Speaking of caramel, Pinhook’s Bourbon Heist High Proof Bourbon (pink bottle - NOT the Bohemian though) is screaming with caramel. I was already somewhat of a fan of Pinhook’s MGP stuff, but their C&K products seem to be promising for as young as they are.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

55 minutes ago, CycleTex87 said:

Picked up the Bardstown Fusion #6 from Specs this afternoon.  Any thoughts / opinions on this one?

I have never heard anyone say a single good thing about any Fusion.  Hopefully you can change that...

Fusion is on the upswing as Bardstown’s distillate has aged. I picked up 5 to share with a couple of friends and it was crushable. I expect that each batch will continue to get better.

For context, I had some of batch 2 and thought it was pretty mediocre.

#5 went to the finals of Bourbon Madness on the SLB Bourbon Basement YouTube channel.  If that has any relevance or meaning at all whatsoever.  I’m just a very novice taster, so can really only identify bad vs good at this point. 

Edited by CycleTex87

If you're ever in Ruidoso and needing a fix, there is an older liquor store/ bar/ axe throwing place( yes, really!) called Win, Place, & Show.  We were throwing axes and I had ordered a double of some Rare Breed Barrel proof.  The owner walks by and asks if I like WT products.  I told him yes, I enjoy bourbons but that I had only been into the better products for about a year and that my sons and I enjoy them for special occasions.  He then told me they go to Kentucky every year and do private selections.  It was my turn to throw and I did my thing and owner disappeared for about 10 minutes, before bringing me a Makers Mark private barrel they had done, in which they selected the barrel staves for aging( please don't hammer me if I fuck up a certain description or nomenclature of a process.) He said they enjoy that one a lot, and I most certainly did too.

We were there for a group event and had catered dinner. I ended up closing the evening with an Old Forester BiB, which was very tasty.  Then I remembered there was an actual liquor store attached to the bar.  I went in there and he had some very nice bottles I cannot get anywhere in West Texas.  I left with this one for $80 and can't wait to have a good reason to open it- probably this July when grandson is born...  I wish couple of y'all would have been there to steer me towards something special, as I am still very much a novice.  Mostly just wanted to share that if you're in the neighborhood on a trip, that his inventory might be worth a look.

Russells-Private.jpgRussells-Mash.jpg

33 minutes ago, slorch said:

If you're ever in Ruidoso and needing a fix, there is an older liquor store/ bar/ axe throwing place( yes, really!) called Win, Place, & Show.  We were throwing axes and I had ordered a double of some Rare Breed Barrel proof.  The owner walks by and asks if I like WT products.  I told him yes, I enjoy bourbons but that I had only been into the better products for about a year and that my sons and I enjoy them for special occasions.  He then told me they go to Kentucky every year and do private selections.  It was my turn to throw and I did my thing and owner disappeared for about 10 minutes, before bringing me a Makers Mark private barrel they had done, in which they selected the barrel staves for aging( please don't hammer me if I fuck up a certain description or nomenclature of a process.) He said they enjoy that one a lot, and I most certainly did too.

We were there for a group event and had catered dinner. I ended up closing the evening with an Old Forester BiB, which was very tasty.  Then I remembered there was an actual liquor store attached to the bar.  I went in there and he had some very nice bottles I cannot get anywhere in West Texas.  I left with this one for $80 and can't wait to have a good reason to open it- probably this July when grandson is born...  I wish couple of y'all would have been there to steer me towards something special, as I am still very much a novice.  Mostly just wanted to share that if you're in the neighborhood on a trip, that his inventory might be worth a look.

You know what time is the right time to open a Russell’s pick?  Right now. 

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, slorch said:

I was there over New Year’s and got the same pick. I’m a fan. 

I also picked up a MWND Act 9 for $250. Yeah, I overpaid, but I felt better about overpaying the owner (nice guy, talked to him for a bit) than some FB flipper. I hadn’t seen MWND in a store before and wanted one, so I said “fuck it”. 

3 minutes ago, Herbie Hancock said:

Yeah there’s no such thing as a bad RR pick. You paid a bit more than you should have, but of all overpriced whiskeys that’s one that I can live with overpaying for.

its the best available bottle on the planet

Still fairly new to the game but I have previously purchased four bottles of Blantons. I was fourth place in a monthly drawing they do at a little mom and pop liquor store in my neighborhood. Unfortunately, the Stagg Jr I was hoping to snag was already picked. So I said to hell with it, picked the Blantons and figured maybe I’ll get one letter closer to spelling out BLANTONS. I opened up the box and was met with this sticker on the bottle.
39681b2095045b67544ba7a6b142c1f8.jpg
I know all Blantons are single barrel. But is the designation of “Distiller Select” anything of note? Or are they all distiller selects? I’ve just never seen this sticker on any bottles of Blantons I’ve bought in the past.

Yeah there’s no such thing as a bad RR pick. You paid a bit more than you should have, but of all overpriced whiskeys that’s one that I can live with overpaying for.

Not sure he overpaid that much. Most of the Russell’s picks I’m seeing nowadays are running $70 retail. Up from $55 last year. Still worth it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, Txslnghrns said:

Still fairly new to the game but I have previously purchased four bottles of Blantons. I was fourth place in a monthly drawing they do at a little mom and pop liquor store in my neighborhood. Unfortunately, the Stagg Jr I was hoping to snag was already picked. So I said to hell with it, picked the Blantons and figured maybe I’ll get one letter closer to spelling out BLANTONS. I opened up the box and was met with this sticker on the bottle.
39681b2095045b67544ba7a6b142c1f8.jpg
I know all Blantons are single barrel. But is the designation of “Distiller Select” anything of note? Or are they all distiller selects? I’ve just never seen this sticker on any bottles of Blantons I’ve bought in the past.

Distiller Select indicates that Buffalo Trace, not a store, picked the bottle. Pretty common. I think store picks are usually better, but you can't go wrong. 

• Like 1

This is a pretty good follow on Instagram. https://www.instagram.com/comingwhiskey/?hl=en
The 14 year old Baltimore rye caught my eye. The Old Forester King Ranch is going to be a hot bottle. 

Scrolled through a bunch and didn’t see the Baltimore Rye… who is seeking to claim that title?

Anyway, ton of exciting stuff on that page, but this one leapt off… if it’s anything like Belle Meade Honey it will be highly sought after.

6d06b4e5797364dfcdd15e92ee64b94a.jpg

2 hours ago, Party_Taco said:

Scrolled through a bunch and didn’t see the Baltimore Rye… who is seeking to claim that title?

Anyway, ton of exciting stuff on that page, but this one leapt off… if it’s anything like Belle Meade Honey it will be highly sought after.

6d06b4e5797364dfcdd15e92ee64b94a.jpg

Toasted, honey finish and NCF.  I’ll call it the taterfecta.   

On 4/28/2022 at 9:09 PM, CycleTex87 said:

Picked up the Bardstown Fusion #6 from Specs this afternoon.  Any thoughts / opinions on this one?

The Bardstown Fusion #6 was really tasty to my palate.  Then I found someplace online that was selling it for 2.5x what I paid, and that made me feel better.