Bourbon

Jimbaround

9 hours ago, Party_Taco said:

Mmmhmmmm - Color me disappoint

Taco I hate to put on the spot here, but you can elaborate on where Sagamore gets their distillate? What’s their proprietary mashbill? How much of their own distillate is currently going into each bottle? I think they’re weening themselves off of MGP, but it’s tough to tell. There’s not much online. 

11 minutes ago, Hank Kingsley said:

Rare Breed Rye is on the shelf everyday at Total Wines I visit in Houston. 59.99 I think. 

Me too at the big box stores. Was just funny that it was behind the counter next to blantons for the same price. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 5/3/2022 at 9:14 AM, billfromlaketravis said:

Taco I hate to put on the spot here, but you can elaborate on where Sagamore gets their distillate? What’s their proprietary mashbill? How much of their own distillate is currently going into each bottle? I think they’re weening themselves off of MGP, but it’s tough to tell. There’s not much online. 

They were on a roll with Master’s Collection 16 and the 128.3 batch proof in ‘21.  Then they dropped the five malt stouted which was so aggressively, almost intentionally bad that this year’s batch proof would need to be the missing ‘21 GTS to salvage the year.  

• Like 1

So, I can’t speak to their broader plans, but based on the BiB and their Penny’s Proof from the last few years, their goal is likely to drive signature products like the Double Oak with their juice exclusively.

I imagine that blends and experimental will still be MGP-dominant for many years to come, but they’re expanding their capabilities greatly, and the whole area around the distillery is about to blow up.

Their growth will likely mimic that of High West, but with the folks involved I’m hopefully they won’t fuck it up in the same manner.
  • Hook 'Em 1

It’s pretty good.  Not Barterhouse, but beats Copper Tongue like Dickel owes it money.  It definitely tastes like there might be significant amounts of > 14 year barrels in the blend.  Not as dry as the Rhetorics, tho. 

76E3C861-2EB3-401D-BC6C-04D1ECE7F583.jpeg

• Like 1

Worth a try?  Had never seen this bottle before and didn't know how good/ bad it might be.  Did not pull the trigger.

Kentucky10.jpg

and I know some folks had said they liked this one, but is that a good price, is it hard to get?  I had not seen it at my place before today.  Full disclosure, i left with a bottle of McKenna 10.  Might return tomorrow if y'all say to jump on either of these.

Nulu-Toasted.jpg

It’s pretty good.  Not Barterhouse, but beats Copper Tongue like Dickel owes it money.  It definitely tastes like there might be significant amounts of > 14 year barrels in the blend.  Not as dry as the Rhetorics, tho. 
76E3C861-2EB3-401D-BC6C-04D1ECE7F583.thumb.jpeg.170336c24cab2746e7d1a66c1b5bf354.jpeg

Buddy called me yesterday asking if he should buy this or an EC18. I told him I had no knowledge other than the damn Muckity Muck was in the glass case at every store in town, so it couldn’t be that good. Maybe have him bad advice lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, H_Boogie said:

Buddy called me yesterday asking if he should buy this or an EC18. I told him I had no knowledge other than the damn Muckity Muck was in the glass case at every store in town, so it couldn’t be that good. Maybe have him bad advice lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Orphan Barrel has done a few scotches and the last Bourbon was Dickel nonsense.  I’d say they’re back in the groove with older, low proof whiskey.  Now that Remus Repeal is gone it feels like there’s a place for this. 

The Poor Man’s Four Grain turned out pretty well. I had to eye ball the OGD114 measurement. 1 750ml bottle is full, 1 boot flask is full, but one the last 750 has a gap. Oh well. 

Patiently waiting until July. 

Put it in a blender for 1 min.
Then it’s ready to drink.
No need to let it sit.
  • Like 1

On 5/5/2022 at 7:25 AM, BigDHornfan said:

It is a 2021, I’m sure they will do a 22 release. Can’t recall a year that they didn’t do one.

Release typically in the Spring (March-ish).  Delayed this year due to all sorts of materials/supply chain delays.  You'll see it on shelves in late July/August, then 2023 in March per usual release schedule

8 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I picked up a bottle of Benchmark Full Proof. $20 for full proof Buffalo Trace Mashbill No. 1 is extremely reasonable. 

I've heard it's pretty hot/young, but I'm looking forward to trying it. 

got one about a month ago. enjoyed it.

19 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I’m fading all MGP ryes. The mashbill just isn’t for me, but their high proof bourbons still slaps. I  tempted to drive down to NASA to get their new 7 year old Old Scout pick. Drinking this tonight: 

966B720E-09B2-4CEC-9B2E-25C2945603D8.thumb.jpeg.da089394227e482877dc814f16441b32.jpeg

I recently had the Redemption 18, which is MGP, and it might have been the best rye I’ve ever had in my life.  The young stuff is a waste of time, but I like the 8-10 year MGPs.  It can be a dill bomb at young ages and I don’t blame you for moving on from that.  

• Like 1