Bourbon

Jimbaround

It’s crazy how different parts of the country have different selections. I’m in Southern California for a wedding and the local liquor store has cases of buffalo trace and eagle rare as well as numerous EC12 ($74),  WLW ($799) and the most of the BTAC. 

I haven’t seen mass quantities of ER10 in the metroplex in a long time

It’s crazy how different parts of the country have different selections. I’m in Southern California for a wedding and the local liquor store has cases of buffalo trace and eagle rare as well as numerous EC12 ($74),  WLW ($799) and the most of the BTAC. 

I don’t understand what’s going on in SoCal, but I miss the availability there. 7 days a week I could walk down the hill to my grocery store and find multiple varieties of Weller, a plethora of ER and more BT than I could fit in my car.

Was at a local honey hole last night and struck out (she had Blanton’s but I’m good at the moment) - Told me she sold a single bottle of Antique for $27 on Wednesday though, which hurt.

23 minutes ago, Party_Taco said:

I don’t understand what’s going on in SoCal, but I miss the availability there. 7 days a week I could walk down the hill to my grocery store and find multiple varieties of Weller, a plethora of ER and more BT than I could fit in my car.

Was at a local honey hole last night and struck out (she had Blanton’s but I’m good at the moment) - Told me she sold a single bottle of Antique for $27 on Wednesday though, which hurt.

Last time I was in LA I walked down to the corner liquor store and was stunned by what was available.  It was a nice corner, but still.  I wasn’t nuts about the prices (probably about 75% of secondary pricing) but if you wanted it, they had it.  I left with a bottle of Blanton’s because it served my needs, but that was the first time I laid eyes on WLW in the wild.

1 hour ago, Eggo said:

HH7 doesn't drive me crazy. Pretty thin, a lot of vanilla. Will probably use it as a mixer, but I wouldn't buy another bottle. 

I haven’t had HH7, but I had HH6 and did not get the hype. Of course it was $12 and not $40. Now, I don’t buy Bourbon to mix like I used to do. But neat, it’s a pass. 

HH7 doesn't drive me crazy. Pretty thin, a lot of vanilla. Will probably use it as a mixer, but I wouldn't buy another bottle. 

It was good, but for the price point I’d rather get Old Forester Rye, Old Granddad 114, or Early Times Bottled In Bond.
Hell, you can get 2 of those 3 for the same price as the HH.

I'm still new to the bourbon scene but coming from beer, it's the same thing.  Everybody was chasing down whales that were honestly not worth the effort, time, and money.  That whole agenda has changed lately with the huge increase in semi-quality hyper local stuff that outweighs being corporate takeover beers that were former classics (bcbs, etc).  

All that to say and especially after my trip to kentucky last spring, I'd love to get my hands on some weller 12 and blantons as my regular sipping material.  I'm perfectly content drinking ejsb, of1910, evsb, 4rSib, etc.  I can find all of them at any time here in San Antonio.  I keep fighting cock and of100 for mixing as well as that stellar deal on OF rye 1L at total wine.

It gets me drunk and it tastes good.  What else is there?

• Like 3

On 12/6/2019 at 8:56 AM, Eggo said:

I have probably a year's supply of unopened bourbon sitting in my cabinet and the fiancée (no pics) is getting annoyed, but I feel like I should be buying 1910 for some reason. Is this how the bourbon hysteria started?

It was probably a BS flipper cover story, but there was a guy on Bottle Spot a few years back that was getting married and his lady forced him to sell his entire collection. Really heart breaking if true. 

1 hour ago, deft said:

I'm still new to the bourbon scene but coming from beer, it's the same thing.  Everybody was chasing down whales that were honestly not worth the effort, time, and money.  That whole agenda has changed lately with the huge increase in semi-quality hyper local stuff that outweighs being corporate takeover beers that were former classics (bcbs, etc).  

All that to say and especially after my trip to kentucky last spring, I'd love to get my hands on some weller 12 and blantons as my regular sipping material.  I'm perfectly content drinking ejsb, of1910, evsb, 4rSib, etc.  I can find all of them at any time here in San Antonio.  I keep fighting cock and of100 for mixing as well as that stellar deal on OF rye 1L at total wine.

It gets me drunk and it tastes good.  What else is there?

Very meta. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Well I open my big mouth and recommend Evan Williams Single Barrel and Spec’s is sold out. I think I Fred Minnick’ed myself. 

Bourbon

conVINCEd replied to Jimbaround's topic in Food and Travel

Y’all need to shut the fuck up about EWSB.

On 12/6/2019 at 9:57 PM, Buzzrock said:

Maybe they can find me a Weller 12.

I got a Weller 12 recently here in Austin. Also, if you are not aware they are in the middle of the 12 Days of Whiskey at The Austin Shaker. Each day they are pouring samples of something new and you get a raffle ticket where they open up the vault on the last day and raffle away opportunities to buy rare stuff at good prices. Sampled the Boss Hog last week on Whistle Pig day and Garrison Bros Cowboy Bourbon on Sat.

• Like 3

Hmm I come into Austin once a week for work and usually stop into Austin Wine Merchant. They have a really great wine, liqueur, and obscure spirit selection, but have been letting me down on whiskey lately. I'll have to check out Austin Shaker today.

17 minutes ago, Eggo said:

Hmm I come into Austin once a week for work and usually stop into Austin Wine Merchant. They have a really great wine, liqueur, and obscure spirit selection, but have been letting me down on whiskey lately. I'll have to check out Austin Shaker today.

Whiskey tasting today runs from 6-9 and it's the one on 12th and Airport (not the 5th location)

Wandered into Total Wine to see if they happened to have anything sitting out up front. Blanton's Limit 1, no bottles left...damn just missed it. Eagle Rare Limit 1, four bottles left...nice I'll take one. Buffalo Trace Limit 1, one bottle left...WTF? I saw where they do that in Austin, but it's sitting on shelves all over town around here.

30 minutes ago, Okie State said:

Wandered into Total Wine to see if they happened to have anything sitting out up front. Blanton's Limit 1, no bottles left...damn just missed it. Eagle Rare Limit 1, four bottles left...nice I'll take one. Buffalo Trace Limit 1, one bottle left...WTF? I saw where they do that in Austin, but it's sitting on shelves all over town around here.

You can never find Buffalo Trace here in Va. I haven't seen a bottle of it in the wild in over 2 years. I've found Blantons, and Eagle Rare more often.  It's OK, but it's not worthy of 1bottle limits IMO.

4 hours ago, Okie State said:

Total is notoriously bad about keeping Buffalo Trace in stock. I’ve only ever seen it up front on the counter. They usually have 1792 and some of the other, lesser known Buffalo Trace/ Sazerac products. I have some theories, but the trail usually leads back to the distributors. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis

Total is notoriously bad about keeping Buffalo Trace in stock. I’ve only ever seen it up front on the counter. They usually have 1792 and some of the other, lesser known Buffalo Trace/ Sazerac products. I have some theories, but the trail usually leads back to the distributors. 
Yeah I think I read that here. It also seems to be my best option to stumble upon some Blanton's and is the only place I've ever seen Eagle Rare. Just have to be there at the right time I guess.

27 minutes ago, Eggo said:

Posted a couple days ago about how HH7 is not great. Trying to cull it from the herd tonight. It may not be as bad as I first stated. Brb fiancée(no pics) wondering why I'm on computer in dark. 

I’m not encouraged by your review or the Bourbon Pursuit review. It seems like a slightly better version of HH6. Since we’ve never been able to buy HH6 in Texas, I think it’s still worth picking up a bottle. 

2 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I’m not encouraged by your review or the Bourbon Pursuit review. It seems like a slightly better version of HH6. Since we’ve never been able to buy HH6 in Texas, I think it’s still worth picking up a bottle. 

This review isn't much better, guess I'll  save my bottle to trade.

On 12/11/2019 at 1:43 PM, Okie State said:

Fuck Total Wine

Thats what Ive been saying for the past couple of years. Not out of the ordinary to see endcape dispalys of ER on the west coast, no trou le getting blantons, it sits on the shelves

True story.  This past weekend at TW Brodie, Buffalo Trace drop was tipped off by someone in distribution.  Over a hundred folks line-up at opening.  Big surly guy cuts the front of the line.  Words were exchanged and tough guy brandishes some brass knuckles.  Sunset Valley PD arrive in full-force to haul surly guy away.  All the hoopla for a storepick BT and a few Blanton’s.  Go figure.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Whiskyteer said:

True story.  This past weekend at TW Brodie, Buffalo Trace drop was tipped off by someone in distribution.  Over a hundred folks line-up at opening.  Big surly guy cuts the front of the line.  Words were exchanged and tough guy brandishes some brass knuckles.  Sunset Valley PD arrive in full-force to haul surly guy away.  All the hoopla for a storepick BT and a few Blanton’s.  Go figure.

Not sure why you thought you needed brass knuckles when you're in a store full of heavy, glass bottles. 

6 hours ago, Smax said:
On 12/6/2019 at 2:41 PM, cknight said:

Thats what Ive been saying for the past couple of years. Not out of the ordinary to see endcape dispalys of ER on the west coast, no trou le getting blantons, it sits on the shelves

I'm in Montana. I can't remember the last time I walked my local store and didn't see BT, Blanton's, and ER on the shelf. Can't fine a Russell's Reserve Single Barrel anywhere in town though. 

4 hours ago, Seasick Sailor said:

I'm in Montana. I can't remember the last time I walked my local store and didn't see BT, Blanton's, and ER on the shelf. Can't fine a Russell's Reserve Single Barrel anywhere in town though. 

Well my friend you just found your purpose in life. Finding homes in the lower 48 for all those abandoned bottles. You'd be doing Gods work. We have RR SB pretty much all the time.

• Like 2