Bourbon

Jimbaround

I have a confession to make.  I had the Garrison Cowboy thanks to @erhine and it is good.  Sampled it against some Old Fitz 11 and it had some ass on it that the Fitz didn't.  That being said I am not planning on buying a bottle.

I did buy that Little Book 3 yesterday.  Looking forward to trying that.  GG continues to be the only place I ever find things on the shelf that I consider a real "find".

1 hour ago, huge said:

I have a confession to make.  I had the Garrison Cowboy thanks to @erhine and it is good.  Sampled it against some Old Fitz 11 and it had some ass on it that the Fitz didn't.  That being said I am not planning on buying a bottle.

I did buy that Little Book 3 yesterday.  Looking forward to trying that.  GG continues to be the only place I ever find things on the shelf that I consider a real "find".

I like it too, just not for the price.  

2 hours ago, Chewbacca said:

What is secondary on WLW, ER 17 and GTS these days?  Is ER 17 in the same ballpark as the other 2?

WLW is $800, GTS is $450 and ER17 is $1050.  

Finally found a Little Book Chapter 3 in a Twin back room today.  Also picked up a ‘19 GTS for retail that was being held for me.  Christmas is gonna be lit. 

• Like 2

Found this in the wild for $85. I used to drink tequila more but almost all whisky now. Is it worth it? Does the barrel come through strong enough?
4e9e63cad6a3713e0adba774869ee09f.jpg

I personally think that entire collection is delicious and have a few of them on the shelf here at home. The price is high, no doubt, but not outrageous for high-end anjeo.

Recommend giving it a shot at your local watering hole before pulling the trigger.

Found another George T. Stagg in-store today in San Antonio. This one was going for $400. Apparently his brother owns the other store that was selling for $450. The owner explained to me that they don't have a problem not selling it because having it on the shelf provides them with reputability. Needless to say, I won't be going back to that fuck face. 

Edited by Eggo
  • Like 1

50 minutes ago, Eggo said:

Found another George T. Stagg in-store today in San Antonio. This one was going for $400. Apparently his brother owns the other store that was selling for $450. The owner explained to me that they don't have a problem not selling it because having it on the shelf provides them with reputability. Needless to say, I won't be going back to that fuck face. 

that's the dumbest shit I have ever heard.

4 minutes ago, Okie State said:
41 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:
How much do you fuckers spend at liquor stores to have them hold WLW and GTS for you?  I've never heard of that happening out here.

More than you can afford buddy!

Apparently.  Although in the last 30 days I estimate I've spent north of $1k on bourbon.  I guess I'm a small timer.

1 minute ago, Okie State said:
10 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:
Apparently.  Although in the last 30 days I estimate I've spent north of $1k on bourbon.  I guess I'm a small timer.

Some guy on a local group says he's spent close to $10K since October. Based on what he posts, I believe him.

I cannot fathom spending that much money on booze.  Holy shit.  I just laughed when I saw the prices people were willing to pay at that silent auction I went to last night.  $2k for Pappy 23.  $1,500 for Pappy 15.  $1,200 for ER 17.  $1,000 for WLW.  $500 for GTS.  It was just nuts.  People were bidding $150 for fucking Blanton's and $100+ for Stagg Jr.  They should have thrown some Buffalo Trace in there.  I bet they could have gotten $50+ per bottle.

I cannot fathom spending that much money on booze.  Holy shit.  I just laughed when I saw the prices people were willing to pay at that silent auction I went to last night.  $2k for Pappy 23.  $1,500 for Pappy 15.  $1,200 for ER 17.  $1,000 for WLW.  $500 for GTS.  It was just nuts.  People were bidding $150 for fucking Blanton's and $100+ for Stagg Jr.  They should have thrown some Buffalo Trace in there.  I bet they could have gotten $50+ per bottle.
Yeah he just buys a lot, not necessarily the $1K+ bottles. He posted yesterday he was done for the year and then posted this a few minutes ago. Picked them up in Denver I guess. He's always up there for work and seems to have bottles set aside for him all over town.e7e61d7448628ffd70b31207e4ee12a8.jpg

1 hour ago, Chewbacca said:

How much do you fuckers spend at liquor stores to have them hold WLW and GTS for you?  I've never heard of that happening out here.

Just checked, and I've spent $2885 at my Goody Goody this year.  Probably half of that at Spec's.  My experience is that it's not necessarily the $ spent, but the relationship I have built with the GG manager.  He knows I don't flip shit for cash, and I take care of him with an occasional bottle.  
I get the hookup regularly at GG, occasionally at Spec's. 

Edited by BigDHornfan

Just checked, and I've spent $2885 at my Goody Goody this year.  Probably half of that at Spec's.  My experience is that it's not necessarily the $ spent, but the relationship I have built with the GG manager.  He knows I don't flip shit for cash, and I take care of him with an occasional bottle.  

You have expensive piss.

Edit: NTTAWWT

3 hours ago, Chewbacca said:

First call I've ever got from Specs. They said I scored that GTS off the corporate list. I have sweet talked them into a W12 off the local list, a right place right time right attitude kinda deal. I don't really know how they run their allocations, but when I got the call, I jumped in the car and took the next conference call from the road/liquor store. Ain't about to let them figure out they called the wrong guy. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, BigDHornfan said:

DFW Goody’s did theirs.
I got called yesterday. The pappys were gone, but I would’ve traded any of those anyways. I’m extremely happy.
fe9c2cbc9f4f0a9d02daa84a3f553f90.jpg

This is my unicorn.  How do you measure up the WLW? Does it really differentiate significantly from W12?

ETA: My other unicorn is OFBB, but OF1920 and OF1910 do a good enough job scratching that itch. 

Edited by Anastasis

1 hour ago, BigDHornfan said:

I get the rest of that, makes sense, and seems normal/good to build a rapport with someone providing you product. But what exactly do you mean buying a bottle for a guy who works at a liquor store? Wouldn’t he get offers or discounts that most normal people wouldn’t? Not trying to be a dick, just never tried schmoozing people with the same goods they can get much easier than I can.  

or maybe I’ve been at work too long. Happy hunting y’all, vacation starts tonight and this time tomorrow I’ll be enjoying the MWND I got my bro and one or two other nice bottles of whatever I can find in the mueller area. 

3 hours ago, Okie State said:

Yeah he just buys a lot, not necessarily the $1K+ bottles. He posted yesterday he was done for the year and then posted this a few minutes ago. Picked them up in Denver I guess. He's always up there for work and seems to have bottles set aside for him all over town.e7e61d7448628ffd70b31207e4ee12a8.jpg

I have an unopened store pick Weller 107 in my cabinet. What could I get for it on secondary?

10 hours ago, Chewbacca said:

About $2500 in client gift $60-$80 bottles in December and maybe a grand through the year on myself will get it done.  

I get the rest of that, makes sense, and seems normal/good to build a rapport with someone providing you product. But what exactly do you mean buying a bottle for a guy who works at a liquor store? Wouldn’t he get offers or discounts that most normal people wouldn’t? Not trying to be a dick, just never tried schmoozing people with the same goods they can get much easier than I can.  
or maybe I’ve been at work too long. Happy hunting y’all, vacation starts tonight and this time tomorrow I’ll be enjoying the MWND I got my bro and one or two other nice bottles of whatever I can find in the mueller area. 

I know what he likes and I’ve given him a bottle of that and every time he hooks me up with a few W12’s and OWA’s, I will make him a bottle of Poor Man’s Pappy with them.
Most of the bottles I get from him are heavily allocated and I know he can’t get them for himself and I will give him samples from the ones I get.
He greatly appreciates it and I get bumped to the front of the list when the holiday raffle happens.
I’ve gotten a WLW the last 2 years so it’s definitely worth what I do for him during the year.
  • Like 1

This is my unicorn.  How do you measure up the WLW? Does it really differentiate significantly from W12?
ETA: My other unicorn is OFBB, but OF1920 and OF1910 do a good enough job scratching that itch. 

Hands down IMO, WLW is the best bottle I’ve tasted. It’s in a different world compared to any other Weller.
And much better than any of the Pappy’s I’ve tasted.
  • Like 2

On 12/19/2019 at 7:20 AM, Bert Orange said:

Do you live in Tokyo?

No, but I am retired and travel extensively. And I believe if people were being completely honest they would report similar numbers.

That said I have no doubt there are those who find great deals (through blind luck) and take advantage of them. Or perhaps they have a connection that allows them access to a bottle. Everyone else has to pony up. Jesus, If I could get it cheaper I would. 

Hands down IMO, WLW is the best bottle I’ve tasted. It’s in a different world compared to any other Weller.
And much better than any of the Pappy’s I’ve tasted.

Yep, agree with this. But they are in a different universe of product so it’s not a fair comparison. WLW is both legit special and highly limited. Van Winkle products are mostly very hard to acquire.

3 hours ago, Scooter Monzingo said:

No, but I am retired and travel extensively. And I believe if people were being completely honest they would report similar numbers.

That said I have no doubt there are those who find great deals (through blind luck) and take advantage of them. Or perhaps they have a connection that allows them access to a bottle. Everyone else has to pony up. Jesus, If I could get it cheaper I would. 

Well, the numbers you quoted are significantly above the secondary market.