Just now, Okie State said:

Was also thinking about the Rye, but lots of other Rye suggestions in this thread that I'd like to check out.

Agreed, plenty of good rye suggestions. 

Old Forester Rye is unique.  It has  mashbill has a high malt content so it tastes different than a lot of ryes. 

1 hour ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

The Old Forester lineup is solid top to bottom. That being said, as great as Birthday Bourbon is I think 1910 is the best thing they have ever made.

I think I agree with you. I wasn’t blown away by either year I tried at a bar. 

anyone ever tried the BIB one? Think it’s 1897 

I'm just starting out, but the Eagle Rare 10 Yr is my favorite so far followed by the 1910. I need a couple Ryes and was probably going to pick up a Four Roses Small Batch Select. Rare Breed is a bit too stout for me unless I add some ice cubes.

Washing away the loss today with some 1910 and then Blantons. I think next will be Weller 107 and then some Angels Envy rye to close things out.

Very easy to find. 1910 is better, but obviously you want something different. 
Old Forester Rye is my everyday drinker. It's so cheap and pretty good.
A lot of people think 1920 is the best thing they’ve ever made. Old Forester is hitting on all cylinders right now.

16 hours ago, HookEm said:

Washing away the loss today with some 1910 and then Blantons. I think next will be Weller 107 and then some Angels Envy rye to close things out.

Hitting for the cycle!

18 hours ago, Okie State said:

I'm just starting out, but the Eagle Rare 10 Yr is my favorite so far followed by the 1910. I need a couple Ryes and was probably going to pick up a Four Roses Small Batch Select. Rare Breed is a bit too stout for me unless I add some ice cubes.

If I wanna catch a quick buzz, it's (2) 3 finger pours, and one ice cube.  I'm a big fan of Rare Breed I find an ice cube kills the alcohol burn pretty nicely allowing some really fine flavors to come forward for a bourbon with a 116 proof.

If I wanna catch a quick buzz, it's (2) 3 finger pours, and one ice cube.  I'm a big fan of Rare Breed I find an ice cube kills the alcohol burn pretty nicely allowing some really fine flavors to come forward for a bourbon with a 116 proof.
I'm acquiring a taste for it. I'm just an amateur so the first drink was a bit of a shock.

1 hour ago, Okie State said:
2 hours ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

I'm acquiring a taste for it. I'm just an amateur so the first drink was a bit of a shock.

I get that.  It's a bourbon I probably didn't like when I first started drinking bourbon. I stumbled on it a few years ago, and haven't looked back.

Edited by Onboard 2.0

Bought Eagle Rare and Weller Antique 107 at a liquor store in Galveston yesterday.  Was told I got the last bottle of each.

Edited by smwhorn

I know I’m a broken record on this but I think the Bulleit Rye 12 Year is really good. Maybe my favorite.

I know I’m a broken record on this but I think the Bulleit Rye 12 Year is really good. Maybe my favorite.

That’s a bold statement.
Haven’t even considered looking at Bulleit.
Hmmmm.

1 hour ago, BigDHornfan said:

That’s a bold statement.
Hmmmm.

The 12 year rye is darned good. It’s MGP. I wish it were a higher proof, but oh well. 

1 hour ago, BigDHornfan said:

That’s a bold statement.
Hmmmm.

I think all the Bulleit products are solid.

2 hours ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

I think all the Bulleit products are solid.

The only one that has disappointed me is the 10 year bourbon.    Really like the 12 year rye and the original ones.

4 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

The only one that has disappointed me is the 10 year bourbon.    Really like the 12 year rye and the original ones.

The first few bottles I sampled from were a bit underwhelming. The last couple were pretty tasty.

31 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

The first few bottles I sampled from were a bit underwhelming. The last couple were pretty tasty.

The 12 rye is really smooth but a little thin.  Great for mixing.  Certainly worth buying at least 1.

And isn't that really the bar these days?  Just try to avoid buying something you totally regret in between the things you know you want and like?

2 hours ago, Dutchrudder said:

Wife stopped by TW in the Galleria today and picked up a bottle of 1792 Sweet Wheat. Any thoughts on it?  

Don't know.  Post pics of the wife.  You know the rules.

The 12 year rye is darned good. It’s MGP. I wish it were a higher proof, but oh well. 

I’m not a big rye fan in general so take my recommendation for what it’s worth. I like the hotter wheated bourbons best.

I do like MWND but that’s a special thing and I don’t think it would make a great cocktail. I consider it an outlier.