Bourbon

Jimbaround

20 hours ago, Chewbacca said:

How much do you fuckers spend at liquor stores to have them hold WLW and GTS for you?  I've never heard of that happening out here.

I'm reestablishing myself right now because my two main guys moved on and I was sick for most of the year, but in general I spend about $300-$500/mo, mostly on wine and gin. 

I'll repeat something I've observed elsewhere - most liquor store managers are tired of talking bourbon with bourbon chasers, particularly BT honks. They are sick to death of talking about chase bottles and having their inventory cherry picked. It's good to spend money and come in the store a lot, but that's ante, because anybody with money can spend it. If the goal is to buy WLW and GTS and W12 handles for MSRP,  a good place to start is by thinking about how you establish yourself as a truly valuable customer and realize that you will always get outspent by dumb money. 

So whereas i do stop by a number of places just to see if I can get lucky I focus my spending on a couple of smallish non-flagship outlets of midsize chains. They are big enough companies to get the good stuff, but the stores are small enough that I can get on a first name basis with everyone at the store.

1) I might talk about what I think about bourbon, but I ask for recommendations on scotch, gin and wine. That makes me more interesting and gives the people at the store an opportunity to show off their acquired knowledge.

2) I buy what's recommended and I give a lot of feedback, and eventually the people at the store come to value my perspective and eventually start asking me about what I think.

3) When a good recommendation comes from a regular employee, I talk up their recommendations to the manager. 

4) When I talk bourbon, I talk about bourbons I haven't tried and then mention the ones that I haven't been able to get, but I really want. 

5) I make sure they know that I drink what I buy.

Edited by Bozo_Casanova
  • Like 6

11 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

I'm reestablishing myself right now because my two main guys moved on and I was sick for most of the year, but in general I spend about $300-$500/mo, mostly on wine and gin. 

I'll repeat something I've observed elsewhere - most liquor store managers are tired of talking bourbon with bourbon chasers, particularly BT honks. They are sick to death of talking about chase bottles and having their inventory cherry picked. It's good to spend money and come in the store a lot, but that's ante, because anybody with money can spend it. If the goal is to buy WLW and GTS and W12 handles for MSRP,  a good place to start is by thinking about how you establish yourself as a truly valuable customer and realize that you will always get outspent by dumb money. 

So whereas i do stop by a number of places just to see if I can get lucky I focus my spending on a couple of smallish non-flagship outlets of midsize chains. They are big enough companies to get the good stuff, but the stores are small enough that I can get on a first name basis with everyone at the store.

1) I might talk about what I think about bourbon, but I ask for recommendations on scotch, gin and wine. That makes me more interesting and gives the people at the store an opportunity to show off their acquired knowledge.

2) I buy what's recommended and I give a lot of feedback, and eventually the people at the store come to value my perspective and eventually start asking me about what I think.

3) When a good recommendation comes from a regular employee, I talk up their recommendations to the manager. 

4) When I talk bourbon, I talk about bourbons I haven't tried and then mention the ones that I haven't been able to get, but I really want. 

5) I make sure they know that I drink what I buy.

Relationships...

7d32910baa2607531c78232931be53a4.jpg

My buddy said he knew a good bourbon place so we met for drinks after a long work week. He brought the cigars. We started with weller full proof and were lucky enough to finish that last two pours of the bottle. The mouthfeel was great and just danced off the tongue always making you want more.

8fb98c8f9ec9755606206cb7755341da.jpg

From there we moved on to weller CYPB. Pretty interesting story about the consumer having the ability to have input and play around with mashbill number 2 until it was “perfected”. At this point I was pretty fucked up but do remember it was indeed tasty. The finishing bourbon with cigars outside was the EHT barrel proof. Again my memory is a little hazy but I remember it being bold and complex, a little heavier and long lasting than the weller full proof. Hell of a night.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, T’Boo Ted Marshall said:

You’re talking about Ginny folk like@G650. Haha.

My sister doesn’t drink. It’s a safe space.

Yeah, always liked the Bull Islanders.  Those Guiney folk are worse for damn sure.  The wife's got a lot of that guiney blood in her. If G650 is one that answers some questions about him.

I didn't know for a long time why they were so hated other than being called thieving scum by everyone on the Peninsula. The whole loyalty to the crown during the rev war apparently sealed their fate with the upstart colonists.

3 hours ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

A nice little Festivus miracle.  Found a bottle, the last bottle of Eagle Rare on the shelf, and on sale for $29.00.  

It's a gift, but I'll get some Christmas night.

Merry Christmas 

It’s always been crazy to me how scarce eagle rare is in some places. I’ve never walked into a liquor store in PA and it not been on the shelf. More often than not it’s an end cap with 6+ cases waiting to be bought. 

1 minute ago, heso said:

It’s always been crazy to me how scarce eagle rare is in some places. I’ve never walked into a liquor store in PA and it not been on the shelf. More often than not it’s an end cap with 6+ cases waiting to be bought. 

Yeah used to be common around here in Va. as well. You could walk in just about any ABC store and find Blantons, Eagle Rare, and Buffalo Trace all day long 3 years ago.  Not any more.  It's actually made me expand my palette, which isn't a bad thing.

35 minutes ago, T’Boo Ted Marshall said:

You’re talking about Ginny folk like@G650. Haha.

My sister doesn’t drink. It’s a safe space.

26 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Yeah, always liked the Bull Islanders.  Those Guiney folk are worse for damn sure.  The wife's got a lot of that guiney blood in her. If G650 is one that answers some questions about him.

I didn't know for a long time why they were so hated other than being called thieving scum by everyone on the Peninsula. The whole loyalty to the crown during the rev war apparently sealed their fate with the upstart colonists.

I'd just like to state for the record hell the fuck no I'm not a goddamn Guinea man.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Buzzrock said:

Any suggestions on a pricey-but-available bottle for a buddy in the hood whose wife just had their third boy? I’m thinking maybe Booker’s, the box looks nice. Thinking $200 max.

I’d call Booker’s an acquired taste. I didn’t like it very much when I first got into bourbon. It’s very hot for a newb. 

State run liquor stores are a whole different animal than normal retail.

On 12/20/2019 at 8:38 PM, heso said:

When I got home today my wife says “I want you to open one of your Christmas presents early so you can enjoy it over the holiday”

spacer.png

It’s a Christmas miracle. The store fucked up and  my wife just got home with 3 more bottles. 6 bottles in total. Ended up at $30 per. 

• Like 4

On 12/21/2019 at 3:32 PM, Buzzrock said:

If I can keep finding Larceny, OF1910, and Bulleit 12 Year Rye I’m not sure I really need much else. The hunt is frustrating and expensive. I’ll eventually run out of Blanton’s and Weller 12/107 and Eagle Rare, but oh well.

Same here (though I only found Bulleit 12 Rye once in Dallas). I don't drink or spend nearly enough to "form relationships" with liquor store guys, and I tend to spread my money around a handful of places nearby. Old Forester Rye is available, cheap, and my go-to sipper. I can find other good stuff randomly, Blantons and Eagle Rare still shows up every now and then, though I suspect that will stop soon. A place in OKC has some of the best store picks I can choose from whenever I'm in town. Two of my current favorites are a Knob Creek Single Barrel Rye store pick and a Makers Private Select store pick. If I want to splurge, WP Old World is a favorite and on the shelf. I'm currently on the lookout for Midwinter's Night Dram. I've seen it on the shelf, but I just look whenever I'm in, no luck yet.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, heso said:

No, full size. she bought 3 @ $60 per. They shipped her order to the store twice, only charged her once. 

For a moment  I thought you were telling this Surly bunch, that some Liqour store sold your wife 6 bottles of Blantons for $30 each...pretty amazing that she was able to get 3 full sized bottles 

Edited by RaylanGivens

Last night I got the text that I was one of the high bidders for GTS at a local shop. I’d offered $305.  

When I get there today some confusion ensued as they thought they’d already delivered my bottle because someone with the same first name came to claim it today.  Anyway, after a brief but somewhat tense conversation they figure out the issue. 

Fortunately they had an extra bottle that they let go for about retail ($140) since I took the Kentucky Owl off their hands too (also for about retail $280). 

Both are for consumption but feels like quite a deal considering the secondary prices for each. 

Merry Christmas...

13B923CC-74AB-4088-93B4-A967A906DA05.jpeg

• Like 8

2 hours ago, brown water said:

Last night I got the text that I was one of the high bidders for GTS at a local shop. I’d offered $305.  

When I get there today some confusion ensued as they thought they’d already delivered my bottle because someone with the same first name came to claim it today.  Anyway, after a brief but somewhat tense conversation they figure out the issue. 

Fortunately they had an extra bottle that they let go for about retail ($140) since I took the Kentucky Owl off their hands too (also for about retail $280). 

Both are for consumption but feels like quite a deal considering the secondary prices for each. 

Merry Christmas...

Pretty sure there is no secondary on Owl, but I still want to know how it is.  

2 hours ago, brown water said:

Merry Christmas...

I bought a bottle of the Owl last year as a Pappy/BTAC insurance policy. It turns out I didn’t need it, but I’m content with having another good bottle in the collection. I’m also curious to hear how it is.