Bourbon

Jimbaround

On 2/29/2020 at 4:57 PM, Party_Taco said:

Holy shittttt this Calumet is good.

Light notes of vanilla and charcoal on the front, mouthfeel is syrupy and the finish is char forward with hints of oak and just a touch of sweetness.

Very distinct, not too hot for a 12 year. I dig it as a change of pace, but this would bowl you over as anything but a special occasion drinker. Half way through the pour and I’m already contemplating bad decisions...

Saw a bottle of this for $99 yesterday.  You're saying its actually worth close to that?

Also WT Rare Breed is now $40 at TW.

Fucking great bottle.
This one is a store pick from my local store here in DFW. Mine is a cask strength at 123 proof. Haven’t had the 90 though.
94f4f1a1ec9d4540cca2e78cec685c16.jpg

Ok I am lovvvvinnnngggg this...

It has a bit of Blood Oath (the good batches) in it, a nose full of gunpowder on the front-end and it finishes smooth with hints of orange.

Early impression: For $40 this is the best bourbon outside Kentucky

I’m going back on Monday to buy the rest.
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Scooter Monzingo said:

It’s whiskey not bourbon by definition. My understanding is the sugar charcoal mellowing process is considered an additive. 

This is actually not true. It’s meets the definition of bourbon. They have elected to use Tenn whiskey nomenclature. 

• Like 3

On 2/22/2020 at 10:21 AM, USCATX said:

If you guys see the Redemption Wheated Bourbon for anything in the $40-$45 range you need to pick up a bottle.  I tried it semi-blind with an NCF OWA pick and Maker’s RC6 and it won outright.  The Redemption was all over at Spec’s a couple months back and there has to be some still lying around. I can’t wait to see how that MGP wheated mashbill tastes at 8-10 years and higher proof.  

Picked up a bottle today from Alamo City Liquors ($42) along with a bottle of ECBP C919. Eager to try both after the recommendations here. 

• Like 1

On 3/7/2020 at 3:46 PM, billfromlaketravis said:

Did any you of SOBs get a bottle of Larceny Barrel Proof at Spec's today? I went at 11 am. Didn't want to wait in line. Picked up a Spec's pick of Russell SiB and Bourye. 

I did, but not from the Saturday ER release. Haven’t cracked it yet.  

Edited by USCATX

On 3/6/2020 at 8:40 PM, Party_Taco said:

Ok I am lovvvvinnnngggg this...

It has a bit of Blood Oath (the good batches) in it, a nose full of gunpowder on the front-end and it finishes smooth with hints of orange.

Early impression: For $40 this is the best bourbon outside Kentucky

I’m going back on Monday to buy the rest.

nice, I see that Total Wine stocks it for $38

• Like 1

11 hours ago, smwhorn said:

They serve Buffalo Trace bourbon on United flights.  At least on the flights from Houston to Richmond, Va.  They would only give me two of the small bottles.  Bastards . . . . 

Toss those on the secondary market. 

One would have to think that some of the rarer bourbons won’t be gobbled up by bars and restaurants and actually make it to liquor stores.  I can’t imagine they’ll be buying as much as they normally over the next few weeks, so maybe some of us will be lucky enough to land some W12 or Blanton’s. Trying to stay positive in the COVID-19 hysteria!

Picked up Makers Mark Private select from recommendations here. Thank you. It is very tasty. Funny cause the nose is almost non-existent but the palate is phenomenal. Like smooth creme brule and spices. 

Also picked up a Balcones True Blue  because coworker “swears by it”. I’m going to give it the old college try during the pandemic 

3 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

Also picked up a Balcones True Blue  because coworker “swears by it”. I’m going to give it the old college try during the pandemic 

This is an example of that American can do spirit in action.  We're at our best when things are at their worst.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Yev Kassem said:

One would have to think that some of the rarer bourbons won’t be gobbled up by bars and restaurants and actually make it to liquor stores.  I can’t imagine they’ll be buying as much as they normally over the next few weeks, so maybe some of us will be lucky enough to land some W12 or Blanton’s. Trying to stay positive in the COVID-19 hysteria!

I call BS, the MFers will continue to buy em from their normal allocation and sit on them knowing full well that they will sell them in a month when the hysteria dies down. It's not like there's dozens of  extrac cases sitting out there to be had. "Hey dont send me any of the good stuff this quarter, okay joe?..."

Edited by RaylanGivens