Bourbon

Jimbaround

2 hours ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

Which is better, Four Roses Small Batch or Single Barrell?

I think the Single Barrel is a little better (just a tad smoother and a little richer in flavor), but it's close enough for me that oftentimes the Small Batch is the better choice once price is factored in.  

2 hours ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

Which is better, Four Roses Small Batch or Single Barrell?

4 Roses Single Barrel is better. 

Small Batch Select is slightly below that and pretty damn tasty. 
Small Batch is not bad, but the other two are noticeably better. 

Paid more than it’s worth, but it’s awesome to have this sitting on my bar.
36c8fb2e75dd670eb872f96d5aea3f32.jpg
His first batch of releases tastes young but it’s got a lot of promise.
Ed and his son are onto something. Look forward to when they start distilling in their own distillery next year.

• Like 4

I think the Single Barrel is a little better (just a tad smoother and a little richer in flavor), but it's close enough for me that oftentimes the Small Batch is the better choice once price is factored in.  

Agree with this. If your just starting out, you should probably start with Small Batch and work your way up. I think Small Batch is one of the best $30 Bourbons on the market and would never turn down a pour.

so all y'all talking about finding blantons, ER, larceny barrel, y'all mean in general bc you can't find it, or at a reasonable price? Maybe b/c it is a different kind of search, but I could name every liquor store and general prices within 3 miles of walking distance my house. And thats taken time and effort. But i know pretty well which bar has what and while the prices are way way higher than what y'all TX folk get, i can find them all for the right price. Just confused when y'all post and say it's there; i consider not finding Mckenna 10 when its 150, fuck that bullshit; or ER for 55 for 750ml, i'll just assume it's not there. Just mind blowing how the market changes from region to region.

The Larceny Barrel Proof I scored this week was from a Twin Liquors ($58). I hit up the manager and he remembered me from a few weeks ago when I picked up an Old Forester Single Barrel store pick from him a few weeks ago. 

I saw a GTS in a little independent store a few weeks ago for $399. I didn’t pull the trigger and then after some research I saw that’s actually not a bad secondary price for that bottle. 

I know that Alamo City Liquors has a store pick of Blanton’s on order, but they’ve been waiting on it since September and who knows now when it will come in. I’m hoping the leg work I’ve done at that store pays off and I get a call when it comes in.   

Edited by Yev Kassem

I pulled the trigger on some Elijah Craig Barrel Proof A120. The Bourbon Pursuit guys seem to like this batch the most. 

Because I was already paying a premium and shipping, I said what the hell and bought a bottle of Wilderness Trail Bottled in Bond Single Barrel. First time I’ve ever seen it for sale outside of Kentucky. I have a close friend that grew up near the distillery in Danville. I’ve wanted to try it for some time.

Some bourbon quarantine thoughts: 

- Maker’s Mark Private Select is excellent. I’ve tried three different store picks/stave recipes and they’ve all been great. I hate to pay $70 for it, but I’m down to my last bottle. I plan on loading up Twin Liquors’ Dollar Day dale. 

- The Whiskey Neat guy was on the money with Jack Daniels Single Barrel Barrel Strength. It’s a little steep at $60+, but it worth it if you can track down a store pick. Good stuff without the charcoal taint. Another bottle I’ll be looking for at Dollar Days.The single barrel rye is supposed to be really good, but I might wait until the barrel strength comes out. 

- Larceny Single Barrel is better than Barrel Proof in my book. I’ve only seen the SiB at Spec’s. I think maybe a couple cases were released in Houston. It came and went fast. The last time I saw it was in New Braunfels. 

13 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Some bourbon quarantine thoughts: 

- Maker’s Mark Private Select is excellent. I’ve tried three different store picks/stave recipes and they’ve all been great. I hate to pay $70 for it, but I’m down to my last bottle. I plan on loading up Twin Liquors’ Dollar Day dale. 

- The Whiskey Neat guy was on the money with Jack Daniels Single Barrel Barrel Strength. It’s a little steep at $60+, but it worth it if you can track down a store pick. Good stuff without the charcoal taint. Another bottle I’ll be looking for at Dollar Days.The single barrel rye is supposed to be really good, but I might wait until the barrel strength comes out. 

- Larceny Single Barrel is better than Barrel Proof in my book. I’ve only seen the SiB at Spec’s. I think maybe a couple cases were released in Houston. It came and went fast. The last time I saw it was in New Braunfels. 

If you ever find yourself in San Antonio, Alamo City Liquors (three locations) has their Larceny store pick in stock all the time. It’s like $26. I have one, but haven’t opened it yet. 

15 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I pulled the trigger on some Elijah Craig Barrel Proof A120. The Bourbon Pursuit guys seem to like this batch the most. 

Because I was already paying a premium and shipping, I said what the hell and bought a bottle of Wilderness Trail Bottled in Bond Single Barrel. First time I’ve ever seen it for sale outside of Kentucky. I have a close friend that grew up near the distillery in Danville. I’ve wanted to try it for some time.

i bought the wilderness trail at a store in north austin.  passed it up a couple of times then finally bought a bottle.  it's okay, but $50 is too steep for it.  I would say it's an excellent bourbon if it were in the $30 range.  woodenville for example, is in that range, and i think the two are comparable in quality.  

• Like 2

On 5/10/2020 at 4:26 PM, Yev Kassem said:

If you ever find yourself in San Antonio, Alamo City Liquors (three locations) has their Larceny store pick in stock all the time. It’s like $26. I have one, but haven’t opened it yet. 

I have one and it’s not good. But their last to ER picks have been money.  If they still have their Widow Jane 12 yr that’s a no brainer to pick up. 

I have an OF SiB store pick from Twin Liquors at the old 90 proof. I’m a fan and I’m excited to try the 100 proof and barrel proof varieties that are coming out. 

I haven’t had the 1910 yet, but have heard that it’s a more complex version of Woodford Reserve Double Oaked. 

Queue the Orangebloods’ Bourbon Thread one word response: “Relationships”.

Hey you need to start posting pictures of your scores

And tell us what kind of watch you wear. So we know it’s you. I want to enjoy MORE

I just realized Old Forester turns 150 years old this year. Birthday Bourbon is going to be fun to find. Taters love anniversary bottles above all else. 

How I would rank the Old Forester offerings :

1) Birthday 

2) President's Choice Bourbon (purely speculative, but supposed to awesome) 

3) 1910

4) 1920 

5) Single Barrel Store Picks 

(giant cliff) 

6) Rye 

7) 1870

'8) Bottled in Bond 

9) Statesman

10) OF 100

11) OF 86

OF is rolling out a 100 Proof Single Barrel and a Single Barrel, Barrel Strength some time this year. I haven't seen or heard of anybody acquiring a bottle of either. I'm sure the Barrel Strength will be tough to find initially. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis

7 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I just realized Old Forester turns 150 years old this year. Birthday Bourbon is going to be fun to find. Taters love anniversary bottles above all else. 

How I would rank the Old Forester offerings :

1) Birthday 

2) President's Choice Bourbon (purely speculative, but supposed to awesome) 

3) 1910

4) 1920 

5) Single Barrel Store Picks 

(giant cliff) 

6) Rye 

7) Statesman 

'8) Bottled in Bond 

9) 1870

10) OF 100

11) OF 86

OF is rolling out a 100 Proof Single Barrel and a Single Barrel, Barrel Strength some time this year. I haven't seen or heard of anybody acquiring a bottle of either. I'm sure the Barrel Strength will be tough to find initially. 

This seems odd.  Taste and preference is subjective, of course, but your #2 pick is an untasted guess.