Bourbon

Jimbaround

3 minutes ago, After irth said:

This seems odd.  Taste and preference is subjective, of course, but your #2 pick is an untasted guess.

I've heard and read enough about President's Choice to surmise it's better than 1910. 

But hey, you're right, who knows? It could be a scarcity thing. President's Choice is a Kentucky only, limited release deal while 1910 is arguably the best shelfer. 

3 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I've heard and read enough about President's Choice to surmise it's better than 1910. 

But hey, you're right, who knows? It could be a scarcity thing. President's Choice is a Kentucky only, limited release deal while 1910 is arguably the best shelfer. 

Don’t get me wrong. Not picking on you, but...isn’t that strange to just presume that the next unreleased Bourbon you haven’t had yet is the best thing ever?  Gleeful anticipation aside, of course. 

For the record, I dig the 1870 Original Batch out of all the Row series. And love the Rye the more that I drink it. 

Just sayin...

9 hours ago, After irth said:

Don’t get me wrong. Not picking on you, but...isn’t that strange to just presume that the next unreleased Bourbon you haven’t had yet is the best thing ever?  Gleeful anticipation aside, of course. 

For the record, I dig the 1870 Original Batch out of all the Row series. And love the Rye the more that I drink it. 

Just sayin...

Man why you gotta be harshing his mellow ??

Old Forester's pricing is curious. Bottled in Bond and 1910 are the same price. Single barrel is more than 1920. Based on a big box store in Houston : 

$57.46 - Single Barrel, 90 Proof, Store Pick 

$52.60 - 1920

$51.57 - Statesman (shaking my head)

$49.44 - 1910 and BiB

$39.97 - 1870 

$24.94 - OF 100 Proof

$23.13 - Rye 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I just realized Old Forester turns 150 years old this year. Birthday Bourbon is going to be fun to find. Taters love anniversary bottles above all else. 

How I would rank the Old Forester offerings :

1) Birthday 

2) President's Choice Bourbon (purely speculative, but supposed to awesome) 

3) 1910

4) 1920 

5) Single Barrel Store Picks 

(giant cliff) 

6) Rye 

7) 1870

'8) Bottled in Bond 

9) Statesman

10) OF 100

11) OF 86

OF is rolling out a 100 Proof Single Barrel and a Single Barrel, Barrel Strength some time this year. I haven't seen or heard of anybody acquiring a bottle of either. I'm sure the Barrel Strength will be tough to find initially. 

My I've tasted everything other than president's choice. 
Here's my ranking as of now, excluding store picks because it's a crapshoot:

1) Birthday (in a good year)

1a) 1910

2)1920

3) OF86

4) Rye

5) 1870

6) 1897

7) OF100

8 ) BiB

Giant Cliff

9) Statesman

12 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Old Forester's pricing is curious. Bottled in Bond and 1910 are the same price. Single barrel is more than 1920. Based on a big box store in Houston : 

$52.60 - 1920

$49.44 - 1910 and BiB

$39.97 - 1870 

$24.94 - OF 100 Proof

$23.13 - Rye 

Demand Pricing

Fair Value

Sucker Tax

Great Value

Fair Value

Fair Value

Fair Value

Edited by Bozo_Casanova
  • Like 3

23 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I'd fast forward through the Fred Minnick segment of the Bourbon Pursuit Podcast, Episode 253. What a preachy douche. His feelings are very hurt that us bourbon hunters are looking for good covid sales right now. 

I’m hoping that we can get to a point where you can buy online directly from the distillery (as you can with many wine vineyards) for at least their allocated varieties. They could sell “memberships” that give you access to these allocations instead of hoping hit hit the lottery and find one out in the wild or pay ridiculous secondary prices.  They’d still sell out their inventory and they’d create a new revenue stream via their “memberships”.  You’re telling me you wouldn’t pay some membership fee to guarantee yourself a bottle of BTAC a year at MSRP?

Probably won’t ever happen with the distributors having such a big lobbying presence, but it’s nice to dream...

5 hours ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

My I've tasted everything other than president's choice. 
Here's my ranking as of now, excluding store picks because it's a crapshoot:

1) Birthday (in a good year)

1a) 1910

2)1920

3) OF86

4) Rye

5) 1870

6) 1897

7) OF100

8 ) BiB

Giant Cliff

9) Statesman

Demand Pricing

Fair Value

Sucker Tax

Great Value

Fair Value

Fair Value

Fair Value

the 1920 and 1910 used to be fairly rare.  now i'm seeing them everywhere.  still have yet to try the 1897, but those have a very unique taste, unlike other bourbons, smoother, imho.

20 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

I’ve never had the OF 1870 and almost pulled the trigger. Is it really that bad? 1910 is one of my favorite bourbons 

Hot take alert: OFBB can be great but can also be very average depending on year. 

1870 is good. The entire OF lineup is very good, including OF86. Statesman is the worst of the bunch and overpriced to boot, according to my taste, but it's still decent. 
Agree about OFBB, but I think it ranges from transcendent to very good. That being said, notice how little emphasis OF puts on single barrel releases?  Axioms #2 and #3 apply to this topic, especially in the context of the abundance of 1910 and 1920 vs the grail status of OFBB:

2) The best bourbon is often hard to get, but the hardest bourbon to get us not usually the best.
3) All good blends are better than all but the best single barrels, and only the absolute best individual barrels are better than the best blends.

7 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

$52.60 - 1920

$49.44 - 1910 and BiB

$39.97 - 1870 

$24.94 - OF 100 Proof

$23.13 - Rye 

Man, I *wish* I could find the 1910 under $50 around where I live.

$52.60 - 1920
$49.44 - 1910 and BiB
$39.97 - 1870 
$24.94 - OF 100 Proof
$23.13 - Rye 

That rye is the best bang for the buck on the list. TW has it by the L for $25.

1 hour ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Balcones Shiner Bock is interesting, opens up a little, and lands somewhere on the decent scale. It'd be fun to boilmaker it with a Shiner Bock beer.

I was thinking of driving to Dallas this weekend to hunt for it (like I said earlier even if it’s average I still want it in my cabinet) but I read online that someone found it in OKC so I checked the warehouse store here in Tulsa and there it was! I agree that it had a bite at first then opened up. I’m really enjoying it.  Very different but I can pick up hints of their single malt and hints of the shiner malt. Just enjoyable all around especially for the price.

EE3B73CA-77B0-45BA-B8F0-95D7CDC2F9B6.jpeg

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 'stache said:

I was thinking of driving to Dallas this weekend to hunt for it (like I said earlier even if it’s average I still want it in my cabinet) but I read online that someone found it in OKC so I checked the warehouse store here in Tulsa and there it was! I agree that it had a bite at first then opened up. I’m really enjoying it.  Very different but I can pick up hints of their single malt and hints of the shiner malt. Just enjoyable all around especially for the price.

EE3B73CA-77B0-45BA-B8F0-95D7CDC2F9B6.jpeg

It reminded of a Japanese single malt. Definitely not my thing, but it's a good option for single malt guys at $35. 

16 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I'd fast forward through the Fred Minnick segment of the Bourbon Pursuit Podcast, Episode 253. What a preachy douche. His feelings are very hurt that us bourbon hunters are looking for good covid sales right now. 

Wow, you weren't kidding. What a douche, even though the secondary prices of bourbon have actually exploded instead of going down, but that didn't stop him.

Four roses barrel strength, rock hill farms, and elmer and probably others have gone up by 100 to 200 dollars secondary pricing in the last 3 weeks. Its some bullshit.

1 minute ago, ISUCyclones said:
35 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:
I'd say fuck the retailers charging prices for bourbons 4x what they should retail for.

That too

I feel for ya'll in states that don't regulate the prices.  I wouldn't have a collection if I had to pay the prices I've seen in places like Texas.  I'm too cheap.....

1 hour ago, ISUCyclones said:

Wow, you weren't kidding. What a douche, even though the secondary prices of bourbon have actually exploded instead of going down, but that didn't stop him.

Four roses barrel strength, rock hill farms, and elmer and probably others have gone up by 100 to 200 dollars secondary pricing in the last 3 weeks. Its some bullshit.

I think he has a good nose/palette, but his “Above the Char” segments are a beating. Some of his all time hits: 

- Multiple segments on mocktails because young people are more health conscious.

- His rule about stopping drinking when he can no longer savor the bourbon’s flavor. Uh, that beer belly didn’t come from drinking in moderation buddy. 

- Holier than thou segments railing against hoarders when his personal collection looks like the wall at Jack Rose. 

- Bitching about Jim Murray’s Whisky Bible creating scarcity when he does exactly the same thing. 

I think Minnick is “Kentucky Famous” and he lives inside a bubble of people kissing his ascot. He’s not very self aware. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis

Picked up a Knob Creek 12 and Larceny Barrel Proof today. Looking forward to trying both. TW had Kentucky Owl bourbon and rye and Cream of Kentucky on the shelf (Atlanta).

TW guy recommended this but I already had a couple bottles so I didn’t pull the trigger. Anyone tried it?

16b816c870e9cf26cee2fa9efaebe0b5.jpg

$28

I’ve never had the OF 1870 and almost pulled the trigger. Is it really that bad? 1910 is one of my favorite bourbons  Hot take alert: OFBB can be great but can also be very average depending on year. 

I’ve had an entire bottle. No coke.

TxTower approved.

Definitely worth trying out a bottle.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, T’Boo Ted Marshall said:

Let’s give this ECBP a go.

Stopped at a package store off I-30 in Cumby to see if I could find a score.
I was told they had some Blanton’s a few weeks back but at $139 a bottle.
No thanks Chester. They did have Buffalo Trace at MSRP.

ECBP is something else.  Numbs the gums.

1 hour ago, TxTower said:

I tried the KC12 last night and wasn’t very impressed though it’s gotten some good reviews online. YMMV

I grabbed a bottle of the Knob Creek 12 a few weeks ago and honestly wasn't real impressed either.  It's not something I look forward to drinking (but still will).  I feel the same about the Old Ezra 7 year bourbon I also picked up a few weeks ago.  I know its not expensive ($35)  but I much prefer the Stagg Jr or Elijah Craig Barrel Proof to the Old Ezra.  Finished my Old Foresters 1920 last night so picked up a bottle of the 1910 today.  I really like the 1910 for a lower proof bourbon but I may have more of a sweet tooth than others and the 1910 to me has a lot of sweetness to it.

I grabbed a bottle of the Knob Creek 12 a few weeks ago and honestly wasn't real impressed either.  It's not something I look forward to drinking (but still will).  I feel the same about the Old Ezra 7 year bourbon I also picked up a few weeks ago.  I know its not expensive ($35)  but I much prefer the Stagg Jr or Elijah Craig Barrel Proof to the Old Ezra.  Finished my Old Foresters 1920 last night so picked up a bottle of the 1910 today.  I really like the 1910 for a lower proof bourbon but I may have more of a sweet tooth than others and the 1910 to me has a lot of sweetness to it.
I feel like Stagg Jr and ECBP are probably the best 2 bourbons that are somewhat available. They are hard to find, but not unicorns.
  • Like 1

Picked up a Knob Creek 12 and Larceny Barrel Proof today. Looking forward to trying both. TW had Kentucky Owl bourbon and rye and Cream of Kentucky on the shelf (Atlanta).

TW guy recommended this but I already had a couple bottles so I didn’t pull the trigger. Anyone tried it?

16b816c870e9cf26cee2fa9efaebe0b5.jpg

$28

Never trust a TW rec of something you’ve never heard of before.
  • Like 3

27 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:
1 hour ago, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

I feel like Stagg Jr and ECBP are probably the best 2 bourbons that are somewhat available. They are hard to find, but not unicorns.

This is true which is also why I prefer saving those two along with my WLW and EH Taylor Barrel Proof.  I was hoping the Old Ezra 7 would fit the bill as a every day type of barrel proof sipper but like I said, so far not a huge fan.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, thrillhammer said:

yep, tw is famous for that.  they probably have 10 bourbons you've never heard of and won't find anywhere else but there.  much like hill country fare brand, or presidents choice, etc.

In theory, I don’t have a problem with it.  But don’t instruct the guy working the bourbon aisle to tout it has some incredible new bourbon that nobody knows about yet.  Just say we bought some juice, came up with a cool sounding name, slapped a label on it, and are selling it for a few bucks less than the shit you’ve heard of.

• Like 1