Bourbon

Jimbaround

1 hour ago, BigDHornfan said:

This morning at Goody Goody.
Father’s Day allocated drop a week early.
Manager goofed.
It was limit one.
f45e577d2e69c570b81c646765671b25.jpg
I was 15th in this line:
62e05258c45211bf46ee57e7494b72b3.jpg
Ended up getting a Harlen Wheatley Eagle Rare pick.

Not a bad start to the weekend.

I assume the Weller 12 went first? Jesus, the hysteria behind that bottle. 

I read in another group that I’m in that TW no longer keeps allocated bottles up in front of the store and now put everything on the shelves. Apparently that started this week. Have any of you guys seen that this week?

Was told at one store that everything would be out, with limit 1 on hard to find bottles. Not sure how they enforce?

Was told at another store that the really rare bites would still be on an ask-for-it basis, but they are trying to throw the professional hunters off the scent with the policy. Gives them plausible deniability...
  • Like 2

59 minutes ago, Godzillatron said:

Was told at one store that everything would be out, with limit 1 on hard to find bottles. Not sure how they enforce?

Was told at another store that the really rare bites would still be on an ask-for-it basis, but they are trying to throw the professional hunters off the scent with the policy. Gives them plausible deniability...

Good. Fuck professional flippers. 

• Like 2

Can confirm allocated stuff will be out on the shelves, but most will still be limit 1
And the high end stuff will remain on concierge hold when it comes in.
Which means we still aren’t getting a shot at it.
  • Like 1

Sazerac acquired Early Times from Brown-Forman over the weekend. Link: https://www.thespiritsbusiness.com/2020/06/brown-forman-sells-early-times-and-canadian-mist-to-sazerac/

I wonder if Brown-Forman made Sazerac take Early Times as part of the deal? They're trying to corner the Canadian Whiskey Market. 

r/bourbon is not handling the news well. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis

Sazerac acquired Early Times from Brown-Forman over the weekend. Link: https://www.thespiritsbusiness.com/2020/06/brown-forman-sells-early-times-and-canadian-mist-to-sazerac/
I wonder if Brown-Forman made Sazerac take Early Times as part of the deal? They're trying to corner the Canadian Whiskey Market. 
Ha, what is the mood on it? Early times bib is great as a cheap bottle.

3 minutes ago, ISUCyclones said:
6 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Ha, what is the mood on it? Early times bib is great as a cheap bottle.

The early posts are a mix of allocation dread, and Early Times BiB becoming Buffalo Trace taterade jokes.

That thread is something else. 30,000 taters trying to convince themselves they're not taters. It's a fascinating psychological case study. 

Probably a good question for [mention=883]ISUCyclones[/mention], but has anyone heard about Old Forester delaying the release of Single Barrel Barrel Strength? They announced It back in February and I haven’t a peep about  since. 
Good question that I have no idea on unfortunately. I know the bourbon pursuit guys did a whiskey quickie review on the barrel proof a few months back so it's got to be in the pipeline. Covid probably it screwed up.

14 minutes ago, ISUCyclones said:
55 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:
Probably a good question for [mention=883]ISUCyclones[/mention], but has anyone heard about Old Forester delaying the release of Single Barrel Barrel Strength? They announced It back in February and I haven’t a peep about  since. 

Good question that I have no idea on unfortunately. I know the bourbon pursuit guys did a whiskey quickie review on the barrel proof a few months back so it's got to be in the pipeline. Covid probably it screwed up.

My thoughts as well.

A Knob Creek 12 Year Cask Strength label is out there. This in addition to 15 year 100 proof label, the recently released 12 year 100 proof, and famous single barrel store picks. I see you Jim Beam. On a mission to bring back age statements. They must have a ton of old stock ready to go. 

On 6/13/2020 at 2:44 PM, Jimbaround said:

No, allocation. My specs contact found a case and hooked me up.

been looking for that forever.  they stopped making it and will likely never make it again.  most people didnt like it, but i wanted to try it anyway.  did they have any more?

29 minutes ago, thrillhammer said:

been looking for that forever.  they stopped making it and will likely never make it again.  most people didn't like it, but i wanted to try it anyway.  did they have any more?

I had called my Specs contact to get a bottle of Taylor Single Barrel for a golf weekend.  She said they got their shipment the week prior and they were put on the shelves, but that she would call around and find me a bottle and let me know.  She never called and I just figured she couldn't find one.  Fast forward a week and she calls and apologizes that she completely forgot about my request and said he coworker found a case of Amaranth in her office (she's been working remotely since COVID started) and offered me a bottle.  The others were already spoken for.  So, dumb luck on my part really.

19 minutes ago, BigDHornfan said:

Scored a backup Master’s Keep at GG today.
Work those relationships boys.

It’s out there, but you have to hustle for it. Really weird store allocation pattern here in Houston. I had to drive to three different stores.

Edited by billfromlaketravis

16 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

? Pretty glowing reviews from what I've seen. 

All I've seen is that it's good, but underwhelming for what you'd expect.  I'm fine paying $130 or so for a bottle of bourbon, but it better be really fucking good for me to pay the same for one bottle that I paid for the three posted above.  

On 6/10/2020 at 7:28 PM, billfromlaketravis said:

I’ve searched the earth for a 1792 Bottled in Bond. I’ve only tried the Full Proof picks. Pretty, pretty good. 

I saw this last weekend (at same store I bought the Baby Saz and 4R Small Batch Select).  Worth it?  They had Full Proof and BiB.

I saw this last weekend (at same store I bought the Baby Saz and 4R Small Batch Select).  Worth it?  They had Full Proof and BiB.
My opinion is it's good not great. I would pick full proof every day for a couple bucks more if they are both options. That said I have a few BIB store picks that are really good.

1 hour ago, ISUCyclones said:
1 hour ago, Chewbacca said:

My opinion is it's good not great. I would pick full proof every day for a couple bucks more if they are both options. That said I have a few BIB store picks that are really good.

Nice.  Might have to see if they still have Full Proof next time I swing by.

7 hours ago, Longhornfan1024 said:

As of 11:10 there was one bottle of MK left on the shelf at TW Lakeline. I almost walked out with it but the reviews don't seem to justify the price point.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

Tried it Monday. As a huge WT fan, can’t recommend it at the price. 101 is a far better value.