Bourbon

Jimbaround

5 hours ago, brown water said:

@USCATX interested in your thoughts on rp15. Thx. 

It’s good, but in a weird funky old corn whiskey way.  I like to pour it while I’m sitting on my porch with the Egg cranking out some smoke when it’s a little cooler.  If you’ve had the Chronicles 40 corn whiskey range but want more flavor and proof then you’ll really like it.  If you’re looking for classic bourbon flavors then you’re headed for disappointment.  

• Like 1

16 hours ago, USCATX said:

I have a ton of love for Boone County 12 90 proof but I haven’t had a store pick 14.  It reminds me most of ‘18/‘19 ER17 101.  MGP doesn’t really taste like most Kentucky bourbon so I’m not really sure what to say.  

I have the Nasa Boone 14 pick.  I never opened it since I was looking to sell it (Paid $190).

Now I think I should open it if YOU PEOPLE say that's the best shit out there.

32 minutes ago, huge said:

I have the Nasa Boone 14 pick.  I never opened it since I was looking to sell it (Paid $190).

I like Boone County 12 quite a bit. I'm hoping for something better. As @USCATX said, it's not realistic to expect something twice as good.

I'm not sure what to expect with Volstead. From what I've gathered, I shouldn't expect a traditional bourbon profile, but it is something unique and complex. I probably won't open it until Labor Day, we'll see then.

12 year BC picks are generally better than the 14 year picks from all I've tasted. The 14 year picks were the barrels not getting chosen until they were last standing. I had 2 of the party source 14 year picks but sold the second. They are still good, just not earth shattering by any means and not worth the secondary cost imo. 12 > 14

2 minutes ago, ISUCyclones said:
52 minutes ago, huge said:

12 year BC picks are generally better than the 14 year picks from all I've tasted. The 14 year picks were the barrels not getting chosen until they were last standing. I had 2 of the party source 14 year picks but sold the second. They are still good, just not earth shattering by any means and not worth the secondary cost imo. 12 > 14

See that's what I heard.  I also tried to trade it for any Birthday to no avail.  This damn thing is an albatross

Edited by huge
fuckpiss

2 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Brick Top has some competition for the MGP Fan Boy Cup. 

Speaking of MGP, Smoke Wagon Uncut/Unfiltered stopped at Spec’s today in Austin/SA.  Grabbed one from the 57% batch.  

Edited by USCATX

7 hours ago, stork642 said:

Bourbon newby.  Started with Weller SR and tried Elijah Craig SB tonight.  Not gonna lie it’s DANM good.  Paid $23 for .75.  Thanks for everyone’s suggestions.  I’m pissed I drank beer all these years.   

I'm in the same boat, possibly even greener than you with regard to bourbon.

I'll never regret my years of beer though. LOL.   It's spectacularly awesome to be getting to discover something new again.

Like watching Star Wars/ Debbie Does Dallas for the first time ever at age 50...

Edited by slorch

Hope you guys aren’t giving up your prior passion. There’s room for all kinds of booze/beer. Vodka, bourbon, scotch, beer, tequila, and wine all have a place in my heart. I discovered bourbon about five years ago and it’s now my primary dark liquor, replacing scotch. I still drink scotch and vodka is my primary summer booze. Beer was my first love and it never gets old. Wine is still my go-to with a fine meal.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, stork642 said:

Bourbon newby.  Started with Weller SR and tried Elijah Craig SB tonight.  Not gonna lie it’s DANM good.  Paid $23 for .75.  Thanks for everyone’s suggestions.  I’m pissed I drank beer all these years.   

I feel spoiled/lucky. If I've told this story before, my apologies.

I think I got in at the last possible moment early in 2017. One of my contractors was about 10 years older than me and deeply into bourbon. So much so that it came up frequently in casual conversations. I obliged him, and told him I'd pick up a bottle of Blanton's if I could find one. 

I was a vodka/tequilla drinker at the time, so $60 for any kind of liquor was pretty steep for me. I was shopping at a Spec's in Houston, and I talked shop with the bourbon guy. He didn't give me the usual Spec's newbie sales pitch to buy some 1835 crap. He just listened and agreed with what I heard about various good bourbons. Finally, I asked if he had Blanton's. Sure he said and went in the back and grabbed a bottle.

I was still a bit skeptical and kind of pissed I had to pay $60 for anything, but I went home that night and cracked it open. That bottle change my life. I've never looked back. Early on, I got very, very lucky. I was able to string together enough bottles of Blanton's, Weller Antique, and Weller 12 to keep me in high cotton. The right introductions were made, and some local honey holes were discovered. 

Then Christmas 2017 came around. I received a call to come pick up a bottle of Handy. My contractor assured me it was a really good rye and I'd like it. When I picked up the bottle, I was a given a bottle of George T. Stagg instead. At the time, I didn't know it was an upgrade, so I asked the store rep what the heck happened to my bottle of Handy. There was a short sigh, and I was asked if I wanted the bottle of Handy as well. Of course I said. I went without Pappy that first Bourbon Christmas, but it was still very merry.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, HouTex said:

Hope you guys aren’t giving up your prior passion. There’s room for all kinds of booze/beer. Vodka, bourbon, scotch, beer, tequila, and wine all have a place in my heart. I discovered bourbon about five years ago and it’s now my primary dark liquor, replacing scotch. I still drink scotch and vodka is my primary summer booze. Beer was my first love and it never gets old. Wine is still my go-to with a fine meal.

I just can't get back into beer. The last beer that surprised me was Austin Beerworks Pearl-Snap. I ordered a "Pearl" at the Tavern on Lamar, expecting a Pearl Beer, I was surprised to get something that tasted much better. I do enjoy English/Irish beers on tap at decent pubs in Houston. 

It's hard to go wrong with shooting Patron with salt and lime. 

Redbreast makes really good Irish Whiskey if you're looking to take a break from bourbon/rye. 

I dislike single malts. Scotch, Balcones, Japanese Whiskey, it doesn't matter, just not for me. 

Other than, it's all bourbon and rye all the time for me. 

2 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I just can't get back into beer. The last beer that surprised me was Austin Beerworks Pearl-Snap. I ordered a "Pearl" at the Tavern on Lamar, expecting a Pearl Beer, I was surprised to get something that tasted much better. I do enjoy English/Irish beers on tap at decent pubs in Houston. 

It's hard to go wrong with shooting Patron with salt and lime. 

Redbreast makes really good Irish Whiskey if you're looking to take a break from bourbon/rye. 

I dislike single malts. Scotch, Balcones, Japanese Whiskey, it doesn't matter, just not for me. 

Other than, it's all bourbon and rye all the time for me. 

I'd pretty much gone completely away from beer, and was strictly bourbon, vodka, and wine. The son's turned me back onto good beer ... I guess I did something right raising the little thug....(no fucking IPA's though, they all taste like vinegar gone bad to me).  Gimme a brown ale,  porter, stout or a really good lager on a hot day.

7 minutes ago, 4th&Five said:

a good, hazy ipa is what i drink mostly now when i'm drinking beer.  love a good stout or porter when the temp drops. a little vodka or tequila occasionally but bourbon is the only liquor i really have a taste for anymore.

Bourbon with a brown ale back. I've tried lots of IPA's they all taste bitter as shit to me.  Must be like folks who either love cilantro or it tastes like dishwasher detergent.

On 7/15/2020 at 9:11 PM, Godzillatron said:

And grabbed an Uncle Nearest 1856 because that’s great stuff and will soon be unobtainable just because they won an award.

Saw this at my local hole in the wall (priced in the mid $50s I think), the story itself is pretty cool. Was it worth it?  It was the same place I saw the BT kosher bourbon/rye and today no wheated but they did have a rum finished Redemption. Not sure how good any of those are but they are definitely unique considering the type of shop it is.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1

12 hours ago, achooloco said:

Saw this at my local hole in the wall (priced in the mid $50s I think), the story itself is pretty cool. Was it worth it?  It was the same place I saw the BT kosher bourbon/rye and today no wheated but they did have a rum finished Redemption. Not sure how good any of those are but they are definitely unique considering the type of shop it is.

TW has it on the shelf for $59.99

On 7/23/2020 at 7:38 AM, HouTex said:

This.  Like just about everyone else, I drank cheap, crappy beer in my high school and college days.  Once I started making a bit of money, I branched out into single malt scotch.  But about 10-15 years ago, I started drifting toward bourbon and rye -- the typical taste profiles (caramel, cinnamon, vanilla, apple, etc.) are all right in my wheelhouse.  And now I'm primarily a bourbon/rye guy, but I still occasionally hit other types of liquor.  I still enjoy good scotch, esp. when the weather turns cooler and rainier, but my preferences have lightened up.  I liked the phenolic, peaty, Islay stuff more when I was younger.  Now my Scotch preferences are more middle-of-the-road from a taste profile standpoint.  I've also gotten into good sipping rums.  As much as I love bourbon and rye, there's nothing that goes with a good cigar quite as well as a great sipping rum.  And every once in a while, I'll opt for a good sipping tequila.  I hate gin.  Vodka is a mixer.  

I will always love beer.  I'm a fan of IPA's and (to a lesser extent) pale ales.  If it's super hot outside, then a lager or hefeweizen tastes good.  Otherwise, I'm into the hops.   

new acquisitions over the past week or so (the front 5).  i'm way out of room and can't drink fast enough (i only drink 2-3 days a week, but baseball is here).  have never tried any of these, so we'll see.  obviously i got into the makers already, very nice.

image.png.43d2b15a6585b2630658d6d4ae1a4987.png

a couple of these were k&l store picks, and that's where my hookup is.  he sent me the a.d. laws, which i had never heard of.  this will also be the first old forester i've had that isn't 1910, which @huge turned me onto.  hard to go wrong for $29.

and i saw uncle nearest is available at my grocery store (ordered groceries for the weekend yesterday).  maybe i'll give it a try.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

new acquisitions over the past week or so (the front 5).  i'm way out of room and can't drink fast enough (i only drink 2-3 days a week, but baseball is here).  have never tried any of these, so we'll see.  obviously i got into the makers already, very nice.

a couple of these were k&l store picks, and that's where my hookup is.  he sent me the a.d. laws, which i had never heard of.  this will also be the first old forester i've had that isn't 1910, which @huge turned me onto.  hard to go wrong for $29.

and i saw uncle nearest is available at my grocery store (ordered groceries for the weekend yesterday).  maybe i'll give it a try.

I absolutely love the Four Roses SBS.  That Old Scout and Maker's are both excellent.  That Laws 4 grain was not my bag at all.  Couldn't finish a pour.   Your mileage may vary

a couple of these were k&l store picks, and that's where my hookup is.  he sent me the a.d. laws, which i had never heard of.  this will also be the first old forester i've had that isn't 1910, which@huge turned me onto.  hard to go wrong for $29.
Very nice pickups, my bourbon buying outpaced my actual drinking years ago.

1 minute ago, BigDHornfan said:

I absolutely love the Four Roses SBS.  That Old Scout and Maker's are both excellent.  That Laws 4 grain was not my bag at all.  Couldn't finish a pour.   Your mileage may vary

he typically sends me 3 bottles at a time, and knows what i like generally, but he does the picking (unless i need a new blantons or something).

i usually like 2 and can barely drink the 3rd.  and it's almost always the most expensive that i have an issue with.

Agreed with the above posts on Four Roses Small Batch Select. It's really cool that they've given consumers a chance to taste 6 of Four Roses' 10 recipes. I think it's priced OK and I like the extra proof. Now if they'd only make more Four Roses Barrel Strength Single Barrel...

Smoke Wagon Uncut/Unfiltered came and went in a hurry. I wasn't too aggressive looking for it, but it's a pretty expensive bottle to fly off the shelf. 

4 hours ago, henrygandorf said:

I've had the Laws 4 Grain, and didn't care for it.  I got banana bread bigtime on the taste with that bottle.  I like banana bread,  but this was too much.  There was just something off with the taste.  Wasn't a complete drain pour for me, but there's a lot of stuff in the same price range that destroy it, IMO.