Bourbon

Jimbaround

Damn.. I need to keep up with this thread since it's gotten more active it seems.

Had a good time hanging out with@BigDHornfan last week for a private SSW dinner with the awesome Woodinville rep Renee.
Had to run out and get a bottle of the rye after having several pours at whiskey cake Plano. The surprise pour at the dinner was a rye cask strength. It's not bottled yet.. But damn that's so good and smooth.

Happened to wander into a tw yesterday, missed on the owa and er but did get a kosher rye, couple early times, Boston batch bookers. Also stopped by longhorn cheers and grabbed last bottle of rare breed rye.

I know something new is always going to drop or become popular (just like beer) but gotta take a break and drink some of this stuff more often.. Getting close to 50 bottles and have nearly that many samples to go thru for muling bottles.

Heading to dinner at Cafe italia to enjoy some vino then back to watch a movie / play games and sip away on some of that bourbon.

8554f188cb8aed04ac52b5bc6bae3024.jpg5404cfe8ddaf29e2c14797951650f780.jpgec60a02c1756dae2ae680dd29978a766.jpg5d64457513c2624a842b389b8b7d1b2c.jpg02a35648a5029bc6757c224f3107f6cf.jpg06a05004a4bbc04490e80ef8295a2bc3.jpge78ed573cdfaf54142674f007cd26f35.jpg

Sent from my SM-G988U1 using Tapatalk

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3

I need to look for Buffalo Trace Kosher. 

That short rib looks pretty tasty. 
Bottle was still cold from truck /cooler.

I kinda want to get a bottle of the wheated now after reading some reviews but not paying secondary..

Dinner went great.. Won't cloud this thread with vino but great bottle of vino for dinner..

Now time for some texopoly ( I'm forever screwed on that card until I learn the fight song completely)and finally cracking this ssw Sagamore rye pick.
c0cc69eba8b52c9242177c3770e28c29.jpg9ac824fad8db358d0c528e9518015aff.jpg

Sent from my SM-G988U1 using Tapatalk

12 minutes ago, Party_Taco said:

21509a2df50e162f7a4cd6dd07f47958.jpg

Today’s finds were not bad at all...

My guy had a MK17 but wouldn’t let it go... I’m sure one of his 5 figure clients will enjoy it. :(

I have a 17 BIB and Decades sample at home I need to crack open.. thanks for the reminder. 

Enjoy that KC 15, I wonder how it compares to say the Longhorn Steakhouse pick that was aged for 14.5 years. i have seen some other store picks that are 15, 16 years old. 

It's slowly dawning on that Decades is the best of the Master's Keep Collection. 

KC 25th Anniversary might be favorite Jim Beam product of all time. I'm glad I followed my rule and bought 2. I'm pretty sure I bought a 3rd at some point. I love the stuff. 

KB 12 is getting better reviews than KB 15. 15 is said to be an oak bomb while 12 is said to be more well rounded. 

I enjoyed Smoke Wagon Uncut/Unfiltered. It opened up well in a second seating. 

It's a beautiful bottle, but man alive that label is confusing as hell. If you didn't research it beforehand, you'd have no idea what you were buying. "AGED AND BOTTLED IN NEVADA". Las Vegas and Nevada H&C Distilling Company is also printed on the front in large letters.  Tiny little print on the back "Distilled In Indiana". Casual consumers will think they're drinking a Nevada Bourbon. 

• Like 1

It's slowly dawning on that Decades is the best of the Master's Keep Collection. 
KC 25th Anniversary might be favorite Jim Beam product of all time. I'm glad I followed my rule and bought 2. I'm pretty sure I bought a 3rd at some point. I love the stuff. 
KB 12 is getting better reviews than KB 15. 15 is said to be an oak bomb while 12 is said to be more well rounded. 

I’ll take 3/4 any day of the week! Still excited to try out the 15.

3 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

It's a beautiful bottle, but man alive that label is confusing as hell. If you didn't research it beforehand, you'd have no idea what you were buying. "AGED AND BOTTLED IN NEVADA". Las Vegas and Nevada H&C Distilling Company is also printed on the front in large letters.  Tiny little print on the back "Distilled In Indiana". Casual consumers will think they're drinking a Nevada Bourbon. 

I saw the "regular" Smoke Wagon today.  $29.  Did not buy.

Also the Specs on Shepherd and San felipe area had assloads of Weller SR.

Also the Specs on Shepherd and San felipe area had assloads of Weller SR.

My guy today said the distributor is sitting on piles of the stuff, along with Elmer, at their warehouse. But they’re so paranoid about breakage that they’ll only let the salespeople hand deliver, and COVID precautions are keeping them away from the warehouse...

Also... holy SHIT this decades is fantastic!

I'm listening to Bourbon Pursuit Episode 256 - Inside the World of Woodinville Whiskey with co-founder Brett Carlile. 

Pretty interesting origin story on how they started and secured Dave Pickerell as a consultant. 

i wasn't aware that Kentucky farms can't grow rye. The humidity is too high. More expensive grain, higher transportation costs = pricier than bourbon. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Just like Smooth Ambler. They get the distillate from MGP and age it in WVa. A number of folks do this vs having MGP age it on premise. 

Just now, Bert Orange said:

Just like Smooth Ambler. They get the distillate from MGP and age it in WVa. A number of folks do this vs having MGP age it on premise. 

Kind of crazy to tank dump a product in a tractor trailer, drive it 1,800+ miles, and then age it in a strip mall in Las Vegas. But hey, Smoke Wagon sent a quality product to market. It worked for them. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I'm listening to Bourbon Pursuit Episode 256 - Inside the World of Woodinville Whiskey with co-founder Brett Carlile. 

Pretty interesting origin story on how they started and secured Dave Pickerell as a consultant. 

i wasn't aware that Kentucky farms can't grow rye. The humidity is too high. More expensive grain, higher transportation costs = pricier than bourbon. 

Thanks for the mention of that episode.. will watch later. Intereesting.. had no idea they were bought by Moet. It's interesting to learn the big world of liquor after being all about local independent craft beers. If woodinville was  still "craft" and independent.. no way I would know about / be able to walk into TW and pick up a bottle of theirs. 

5 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Kind of crazy to tank dump a product in a tractor trailer, drive it 1,800+ miles, and then age it in a strip mall in Las Vegas. But hey, Smoke Wagon sent a quality product to market. It worked for them. 

No doubt. Doing a barrel pick of SW next month. Kinda excited for it. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Interesting.. I was wondering how that worked with MGP products.. if they barrel aged it or if they shipped it to the company... such as Whistlepig and then they aged it. Didn't seem to make sense for an upstart whiskey company to buy MGP juice and then hold it for 10 years to finally release something. Makes sense it's an either or thing instead. 

1 minute ago, msudawg said:

Thanks for the mention of that episode.. will watch later. Intereesting.. had no idea they were bought by Moet. It's interesting to learn the big world of liquor after being all about local independent craft beers. If woodinville was  still "craft" and independent.. no way I would know about / be able to walk into TW and pick up a bottle of theirs. 

Yep. Pickerell suggested to Moet Hennessy that they acquire Woodinville.

Side bar: Pickerell had to leave his family a pretty nice nest egg. His consulting fees alone should have generated a really nice income. 

I'd recommend Bourbon Pursuit Episode 244 with Master Distiller of A.Smith Bowman, Brian Prewitt. 

Contrary to popular belief, they don't contract source 100% of their distillate from Buffalo Trace. Prewitt didn't reveal the exact ratio, but he said they do some distilling on site in Fredericksburg, Virginia and blend their product with Buffalo Trace. All of the aging is done in Virginia. He declined to answer when asked if Bowman was a combination of Buffalo Trace Mashbills 1 and 2. This is widely assumed/accepted Bowman mashbill. 

Buffalo Trace provided Bowman with their proprietary yeast strain and mashbill in 2003. It sounds like BT helps primarily with distribution, access to barrels, and distilling. Prewitt said they have some 14 year old barrels in the rickhouse. 

While I do like Bowman, I disagree Single Barrel is a substitute for Blanton's. It does have the classic Buffalo Trace tasting notes, but there's some unique stuff going on there. I pick up a little salt, in a good way. It doesn't taste like somebody vatted Eagle Rare (BT Mashbill No. 1) and Blanton's (BT Mashbill No. 2).

Hancock's Reserve is the only correct answer for Blanton's substitute. I'd probably get embarrassed in a blind tasting, but I optimistically think I could tell the difference between the two in a blind tasting. For the record, I like Hancock's better. I suspect it's a little older than Blanton's.

I'd recommend Bourbon Pursuit Episode 244 with Master Distiller of A.Smith Bowman, Brian Prewitt. 

Contrary to popular belief, they don't contract source 100% of their distillate from Buffalo Trace. Prewitt didn't reveal the exact ratio, but he said they do some distilling on site in Fredericksburg, Virginia and blend their product with Buffalo Trace. All of the aging is done in Virginia. He declined to answer when asked if Bowman was a combination of Buffalo Trace Mashbills 1 and 2. This is widely assumed/accepted Bowman mashbill. 

Buffalo Trace provided Bowman with their proprietary yeast strain and mashbill in 2003. It sounds like BT helps primarily with distribution, access to barrels, and distilling. Prewitt said they have some 14 year old barrels in the rickhouse. 

While I do like Bowman, I disagree Single Barrel is a substitute for Blanton's. It does have the classic Buffalo Trace tasting notes, but there's some unique stuff going on there. I pick up a little salt, in a good way. It doesn't taste like somebody vatted Eagle Rare (BT Mashbill No. 1) and Blanton's (BT Mashbill No. 2).

Hancock's Reserve is the only correct answer for Blanton's substitute. I'd probably get embarrassed in a blind tasting, but I optimistically think I could tell the difference between the two in a blind tasting. For the record, I like Hancock's better. I suspect it's a little older than Blanton's.

Nice. Where can this Hancock's be found?

1 hour ago, billfromlaketravis said:

If y'all are looking for a good, inexpensive shelfer, I'd recommend Old Forester 1870. It's probably been a couple months, but that bottle has stayed on my mind. I'm not sure why, it just hit a lot of tasting notes on my palette. Not bad for $38. 

I've never seen 1870 anywhere that 1910 hasn't been. Tell me why you'd go with 1870 - just price?

25 minutes ago, Eggo said:

I've never seen 1870 anywhere that 1910 hasn't been. Tell me why you'd go with 1870 - just price?

I think I prefer 1870 to 1910. I know this is blasphemy, but my palette has shifted some. I pick up a smoky tasting note in 1910. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis

56 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

Picked up an 1870 and an Old Scout today. Which should I open first?

It’s been awhile for me for Old Scout. I think the last bottle I enjoyed was a 10 or 12 year single barrel a few years back. Some of the experts upthread, and I do think they’re experts, really like the NASA Liquor Store Pick. It’s 5 years old, distilled in Indiana and north of 55% ABV. If your bottle meets that criteria, and I’d jump in with both feet. 

If not, I’d probably drink the 1870. 

• Like 1