Bourbon

Jimbaround

It’s been awhile for me for Old Scout. I think the last bottle I enjoyed was a 10 or 12 year single barrel a few years back. Some of the experts upthread, and I do think they’re experts, really like the NASA Liquor Store Pick. It’s 5 years old, distilled in Indiana and north of 55% ABV. If your bottle meets that criteria, and I’d jump in with both feet. 

If not, I’d probably drink the 1870. 

Do not like the Old Scout. Gonna turn it into a mixer. This one is 107 proof and is from Indiana and Tennessee.

1870 is next.

1 hour ago, Chewbacca said:

Do not like the Old Scout. Gonna turn it into a mixer. This one is 107 proof and is from Indiana and Tennessee.

1870 is next.

Yeah, that Old Scout you had was Dickel. That’s why it sucks. The Old Scout Bill is talking about is MGP (since it was only from Indiana). The inclusion of Tennessee means it’s Dickel juice. 

• Like 1

Yeah, that Old Scout you had was Dickel. That’s why it sucks. The Old Scout Bill is talking about is MGP (since it was only from Indiana). The inclusion of Tennessee means it’s Dickel juice. 
Ugh. It's terrible. Good thing the 1870 delivers.

OF has the best product that is actually on shelves, IMO. 1910, 1897, 1870 and 1920 are all very solid drinkers. And the rye is good, too.
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, HouTex said:

I may be in the minority, but I like OF 1920 way more than 1910. Not even close. 1910 has a medicinal hit that I can’t abide.

It's completely the opposite for me.  I get pretty noticeable medicinal notes on the front end with both the 1870 and 1920, but not the 1910.

Different people -- different tastes.  Just underscores why, instead of relying primarily on recommendations by others, people new to bourbon should go out and taste as much as they can and find out what suits their palates.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Carl Spackler said:

It's completely the opposite for me.  I get pretty noticeable medicinal notes on the front end with both the 1870 and 1920, but not the 1910.

Different people -- different tastes.  Just underscores why, instead of relying primarily on recommendations by others, people new to bourbon should go out and taste as much as they can and find out what suits their palates.  

Yep. This is just another reason why I miss bars. A flight or two, of Old Forester could quickly settle your personal preferences. 

Buying the entire Old Forester Whiskey Row Series during Twin Liquors Dollar Days wouldn’t be a bad idea. 

8 minutes ago, Carl Spackler said:

I'm all for tasting as much bourbon as possible.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

Picked up a bottle of ETL for a beach trip on east coast.  Proprietor gave me choice of w12 at 185, Weller Full Proof at 300 or ETL at 125.  I felt dirty but I love ETL and its hard to come across.  The worse part wasn't the price gouging,  it was having to listen to how many cases of Wheatley vodka he had to buy to get the allocated bottles.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TheAuditor said:

Picked up a bottle of ETL for a beach trip on east coast.  Proprietor gave me choice of w12 at 185, Weller Full Proof at 300 or ETL at 125.  I felt dirty but I love ETL and its hard to come across.  The worse part wasn't the price gouging,  it was having to listen to how many cases of Wheatley vodka he had to buy to get the allocated bottles.  

Truth. 

You'd think liquor stores would sell Wheatley Vodka for $1 just to get it out of their stores. 

• Like 1

Completely agree - taste as much as you can before you buy. I do like hearing others opinions and experiences though. I can gauge for myself if I agree or not. Recommendations, tasting notes, research and news (looking at you BFLT) are one of the better elements of this thread as others share their experiences and knowledge.
  • Like 2

new to this but have been following along for a couple weeks.  there is a place by work that has "all kinds of weller" according to the lady i talked to last night.  what am i looking at cost wise for some of these bottles that are harder to find?

5 minutes ago, NOMAAA said:

new to this but have been following along for a couple weeks.  there is a place by work that has "all kinds of weller" according to the lady i talked to last night.  what am i looking at cost wise for some of these bottles that are harder to find?

When in doubt, check Total Wine. They’re a large, national chain that doesn’t mark up. 

Prices based on 750 mL: 

Weller Special Reserve $20

Weller 12 $35

Weller Antique $50

Weller Full Proof $50

Weller Single Barrel $45 

Weller CYPB $50

William LaRue Weller $100

1 hour ago, TxTower said:

Completely agree - taste as much as you can before you buy. I do like hearing others opinions and experiences though. I can gauge for myself if I agree or not. Recommendations, tasting notes, research and news (looking at you BFLT) are one of the better elements of this thread as others share their experiences and knowledge.

Total has a whole shelf of half bottles. If you’re not sure, look for the half bottle first. 

Big Spec’s stores usually have a rack in the front of half bottles as well. 

Smaller stores might let you take a sample home. Total of course has shut down the in  store samples/tastings.

Also look for bars that are selling sample bottles. Poison Girl in Houston was selling a cask strength Four Roses sample, but of course it sold out in like 20 minutes.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Neonmoon said:

1870 OF is good stuff. It is underrated.

Picked up this little guy. Yes, I overpaid. No, I don’t care.

a8233412a982097d5b258692f1e85ae5.jpg

I’ve been real busy with work, so I’ve missed out on the Weller craze lately, but I’ve got a couple friends I can probably get a bottle from. If I’m picking between full proof and single barrel, is there a consensus on which is better?

18 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

I’ve been real busy with work, so I’ve missed out on the Weller craze lately, but I’ve got a couple friends I can probably get a bottle from. If I’m picking between full proof and single barrel, is there a consensus on which is better?

If we’re talking scarcity, I’d say SiB. 

Weller Full Proof is just better Antique. It’s good, but it won’t blow your hair back.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Yeah I’ve been asking around for Weller SB but crickets so far 

just had a pour of Weller Full Proof. It’s really good. I mean it’s exactly what you think. It’s a stronger Antique, but I think it has more mouthfeel on the palate. 

Edited by Neonmoon

1 hour ago, Neonmoon said:

Yeah I’ve been asking around for Weller SB but crickets so far 

just had a pour of Weller Full Proof. It’s really good. I mean it’s exactly what you think. It’s a stronger Antique, but I think it has more mouthfeel on the palate. 

Agreed. The higher proof covers up some of the things I don’t like about Antique, and it’s smoother. I think it’s 1-2 years old than Antique. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Agreed. The higher proof covers up some of the things I don’t like about Antique, and it’s smoother. I think it’s 1-2 years old than Antique. 

It’s definitely smoother than the proof would suggest. I’m not a high proof drinker. I prefer stuff below 110, but this is really smooth. 

4 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

It’s definitely smoother than the proof would suggest. I’m not a high proof drinker. I prefer stuff below 110, but this is really smooth. 

It’s like Buffalo Trace read the suggestion box for Antique, and they decided to make Full Proof. 

Weller anything is going to be good. They all bend the knee to WLW. Jesus I loved Lot B and Old Rip Van Winkle, but I think WLW 2018 might have topped them all. I have Die Hard and Pappy Christmas Traditions to uphold, but I wouldn’t be mad at a WLW and Stagg Christmas. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, BigDHornfan said:

If you’re a MWND fan, get ready for disappointment. Did a Zoom tasting tonight with High West and they told us going forward they will be using their Rendezvous Rye as the base for MWND.
Not sourcing MGP for it anymore.

Shit.

Yikes. Probably looking at a huge drop. I’ll buy one bottle and call it. 

15 minutes ago, ousuxndallas said:

I have been really enjoying this RR SiB store pick. It is 110 proof, and damn good. Great nose as well. 269ce718e13717995df21a11e2c2c4f8.jpg

If I see another grandpa’s birthday/anniversary/wedding party/first child being born recommendation thread without Russell’s Reserve SiB/Store Pick, I’m going to scream. Don’t tell people what you paid or how hard you had to search, just show up with it. Everybody is going to leave happy. 

• Like 1

On 8/10/2020 at 11:51 AM, Party_Taco said:

21509a2df50e162f7a4cd6dd07f47958.jpg

Today’s finds were not bad at all...

My guy had a MK17 but wouldn’t let it go... I’m sure one of his 5 figure clients will enjoy it. :(

Those are both great, I’ll trade you one of my 17 BiB for them.  

20 minutes ago, Woland said:

I want to find a Texas bourbon to mix Manhattans and sours...trying to get some Texas product on my shelf. Lots of choices at Total wine but no help from the store associate. Suggestions?

If you’re not worried about price, TX Bourbon Barrel Proof. Minnick likes it, and despite his repulsive douche bag personality he possesses a good nose. 

• Like 2