Bourbon

Jimbaround

9 minutes ago, Yev Kassem said:

Turned 40 today, so I need to break out the hitter lineup tonight. Will start with a bit of Rock Hill Farms, and then on to Sam Houston 14, Joseph Magnus Cigar Blend (with an Alec Bradley Tempus Nicaragua stick) and Bardstown Chateau de Laubade. Might have to end with a nightcap of Stagg Jr if I’m not completely hammered by then. 

Enjoy those drams tonight, fellas. 

Cheers to you!  Happy 40th. 

Really great read on Mount Vernon Rye:

https://bourbonveach.com/2020/08/24/brand-history-mount-vernon-rye

Being a former Mount Vernon resident here in Baltimore, I very much hope that this comes to pass. Sagamore has a fun section dedicated to the old Maryland rye brands, and there’s a lot of cool history there (Pikesville, etc.) but this is one that should absolutely make a comeback.

Dipping into my new stash, here are some rookie bourbon tasting thoughts...

Old Forester 1920 - God DAMN. Sensory explosion. By far the most interesting pour so far. Love the long finish. I got a lot of banana on the nose. 

Russell's Reserve SB - Very good. For me a more muted taste than OF 1920 but great product. 

McKenna 10 year - Very, very solid. I think it's a great introduction to 100+ proof for any drinker. 

Regular Buffalo Trace - Have had this a lot in the past, but have a better appreciation of it now. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Hank Kingsley said:

Dipping into my new stash, here are some rookie bourbon tasting thoughts...

Old Forester 1920 - God DAMN. Sensory explosion. By far the most interesting pour so far. Love the long finish. I got a lot of banana on the nose. 

Russell's Reserve SB - Very good. For me a more muted taste than OF 1920 but great product. 

McKenna 10 year - Very, very solid. I think it's a great introduction to 100+ proof for any drinker. 

Regular Buffalo Trace - Have had this a lot in the past, but have a better appreciation of it now. 

Keep an eye out for Buffalo Trace store picks. The big stores like Total Wine and Twin Liquors do them. They’re about $5 more, but it’s a single barrel pick, so it’s likely to different (and better) than the regular expression. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Keep an eye out for Buffalo Trace store picks. The big stores like Total Wine and Twin Liquors do them. They’re about $5 more, but it’s a single barrel pick, so it’s likely to different (and better) than the regular expression. 

Maybe it will help because I’m in the minority in that I don’t care for BT.

13 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Great cause, but this stuff is silly. You'd be much better off buying bottle lottery tickets like @Yev Kassem described up thread. 

I'm kind of surprised a big outfit like WB/Costco is letting them do this for charity. Good for them. 

Yeah, much better chance. I usually Pappy raffles going for about $150 a spot (depending on the bottle being sold), but with only 10 spots you’ve at least got a pretty decent chance. 

I’m not that desperate to take that kind of risk just for a Pappy,  but plenty of others are. 

6 hours ago, BigDHornfan said:

For those in Austin,
Deb's just got their Woodinville Cask Strength store pick in.

Go get it.   

The couple of DFW picks I have are incredible, this one isn't too far off on barrel number.

Deb’s is bringing it lately. Elijah Craig Toasted “pick” last week. Woodinville Cask Strength this week. Allegedly dropping a Welller Full Proof pick for Labor Day.

22 hours ago, ousuxndallas said:

Crazy. I sampled all of those last week. ca093a47670ae9721a18ca4cca1e858c.jpg

Without question, the single best business trip I've ever been on was in 2016 to San Diego, to meet with a major tech firm there about some partnership stuff. Had my then-boss with me who was a total badass, and a co-worker that i'm still friends with. Stopped in to a local joint for lunch and a warm-up drink to find Pappy 15 for $35 a pour. Didn't partake at lunch but we dropped a pin on the map. Wrapped up the meeting (crushed it), and made plans for dinner later. Three of us, being from out of town, had no families to go check in with, so at about 4pm we went back to that place. Put three pours down before dinner, had a badass meal with the partner, and then returned to that bar and finished the bottle. Got to talking with the manager and he said that there wasn't a massive demand for bourbon in their sleepy beach suburb, but since he'd been in business for so long his distributor kept him stocked. He priced it so that people would actually drink it, and he loved that we came to his bar three times in nine hours because of it. We also got the deal done, which made the hangover the next day TOTALLY worth it.

Edited by capnamerca

34 minutes ago, huge said:

Assume you guys have seen the Longhorn Liquor post about the OF Single Barrel Barrel Strength store picks that come out Saturday?

Lumberton

Beaumont

PN

Nederland

Groves

Mont Belvieu

Katy

Got a link?

I'll warn you Houston guys, the Longhorn Liquor  in "Katy" is out there near the Buc-ees in Cane Island. It's a long haul. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis

Anyone have a good tip on a liquor store to beg for Birthday Bourbon (in Austin)?  I just don't buy enough to be a VIP anywhere, sadly. 

I already called the place to not be named on 183 and he's going to decide whether to sell it or give it away (in store tasting as he did last year) based on how many bottles he gets shipped. 

31 minutes ago, LCHorn said:

Anyone have a good tip on a liquor store to beg for Birthday Bourbon (in Austin)?  I just don't buy enough to be a VIP anywhere, sadly. 

I already called the place to not be named on 183 and he's going to decide whether to sell it or give it away (in store tasting as he did last year) based on how many bottles he gets shipped. 

It was just released at the distillery yesterday.  It's not here yet.

• Like 1

My advice? Prepare your anus and get ready to pay secondary or go without. You’re not exactly alone in wanting that bottle and I don’t see anyone offering up a magical honey hole where they just sell unicorn bottles willy nilly. My guess is that every bottle heading for Austin already has a name attached to it by whatever shops are lucky enough to get an allocation.

Sucks, but that’s just how it works now.

55 minutes ago, LCHorn said:

I’ve seen a few reviews that say don’t feel bad if you miss out as it’s not great this year. 

As long as it's not a Jim Beam product, you can trust the Bourbon Pursuit guys. Link to review: https://bourbonpursuit.com/2020/04/21/whiskey-quickie-old-forester-single-barrel-barrel-strength/

I know a lot of it is probably the format, but they didn’t seem to gush about it much. Maybe I’m being stupid (happens often), but I’m seeing red flags here.

Did you watch the YouTube clip linked to that Reddit review? Awkward as hell.

401188502c17b6f80109ff6dfc40e2d4.jpg

New place near me is doing a points system, and as you rack up points you get the privilege of buying the allocated stuff. It’s basically a point per dollar but they double points on stuff sometimes. He says these will be sold at MSRP to those who have the points.

Top points level is 4000.

5 hours ago, RichUT said:

I know a lot of it is probably the format, but they didn’t seem to gush about it much. Maybe I’m being stupid (happens often), but I’m seeing red flags here.

Did you watch the YouTube clip linked to that Reddit review? Awkward as hell.

Yes. It’s really strange how Gene tastes. He noses the bourbon in a plastic jello shot cup, and then shoots it. He does kind of take a breath like it sucks, says something like that’s a great bourbon, and then they cut the video. 

Also strange about Gene, he says y’all. I believe he’s out of Chicago. That’s definite you all and youse guys territory. 

I’ve read a few things about Old Forester “heat treating” barrels in the winter to hasten the aging process. You can’t rush this stuff and eventually it’ll come back on them. 

Breaking Bourbon gave OF SiB BS 2.5 stars earlier this year. The guy is an extremely tough grader, but anything under 3 stars is concerning. https://www.breakingbourbon.com/review/old-forester-single-barrel-barrel-strength

Edited by billfromlaketravis
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Hank Kingsley said:

Was able to snag an Eagle Rare today.  Also looked around for some more Buffalo Trace Kosher...nothing. Apparently only 1 or 2 Spec's locations in Houston will ever even have a bottle. 

I was offered a Kosher last week, but literally never heard of it, and passed. 

12 hours ago, Buzzrock said:

401188502c17b6f80109ff6dfc40e2d4.jpg

New place near me is doing a points system, and as you rack up points you get the privilege of buying the allocated stuff. It’s basically a point per dollar but they double points on stuff sometimes. He says these will be sold at MSRP to those who have the points.

Top points level is 4000.

Can I live near you?