Bourbon

Jimbaround

Of all the outstanding whiskey I’ve had in Tennessee this week, tonight’s 1-2 punch may have left the most inedible impression.

Dinner at Husk tonight demanded quality, so I opened up with 2017 ER17. Just a beautiful pour, taking everything I love about ER, extending the mouthfeel and softening the backend. If I could, I would drink this every day.

After dinner I went down to the bar to see if they had anything off list, and was stunned to find this year’s Heaven Hill 27 BP sitting next to a Yellowstone from the 70’s. Was able to convince them to give me a 1oz pour for half-price and good lord what a ride... Soft yet powerful, bright yet layered with darker notes. Just a magnificent pour all the way through and I only wish it had lasted longer.

Perhaps 10-20 mins after I emptied the glass, multiple people at the table where picking up the sweetness of the most wafting through the room, which is pretty remarkable coming out of a glencairn.
Party taco takes down Tennessee, nice

Gentlemen, I present to you, the “Tennessee Run”:

ba001c353cb5197eb3b139025b7b89ad.jpg

Only had time for one Kentucky stop at Justin’s on the way home, and while their selection is excellent, those prices are stupid... $400 for regular Blanton’s?!

There was a cabinet that made me consider giving up all my worldly possessions however...

1bffe669d11aaf5253d7481ba34134ff.jpg

• Like 2

Just now, Party_Taco said:

Sure is... the RHF BiB tucked into the corner out there ain’t no slouch either. Seriously, some of those bottles are simply insane. Can’t believe I missed a chance to buy that Fitz 17 for retail by a few hours earlier this year :(

i've always wondered about jhob pricing.  they're a fun instagram follow because of photos like that, but hearing that blanton's is $400 is...disappointing.

is that just the regular rock hill farms?

i've always wondered about jhob pricing.  they're a fun instagram follow because of photos like that, but hearing that blanton's is $400 is...disappointing.
is that just the regular rock hill farms?

Yeah, some straight looting going on in there... I respect that they have a lot of choices at retail prices, but the vast majority of that is easily acquired at any liquor store or repute.

The RHF in my second pic is the BiB but I believe they had multiple on offer. They were asking $350 for the standard bottle that I paid $109 for at my local a few weeks ago.

4 hours ago, Party_Taco said:

Gentlemen, I present to you, the “Tennessee Run”:

ba001c353cb5197eb3b139025b7b89ad.jpg

Only had time for one Kentucky stop at Justin’s on the way home, and while their selection is excellent, those prices are stupid... $400 for regular Blanton’s?!

There was a cabinet that made me consider giving up all my worldly possessions however...

1bffe669d11aaf5253d7481ba34134ff.jpg

The Booker’s Rye is said to be otherworldly. I’d love to find out. 

The only reason I bought Little Book 4 is to get a taste of something remotely similar.

Edited by billfromlaketravis
  • Like 1

Justin's hob is pretty cool but the prices on the rare stuff are mostly meant to keep things there as a museum. They want people to come in to be impressed and either get single pours or buy other non rare bottles. I was in their about a month ago in Lexington and snagged a 1792 sweet wheat for 35 bucks on the retail side of the store, while the "rare" side of the store had literally the same bottle of sweet wheat for $350.

On 11/27/2020 at 1:30 PM, SMUlawUTgrad said:

Anyone else read Pappyland? Decided today’s drink is weller on the rocks with a twist.

Was reading it this morning. Great stuff. I attended an online book-release event with the author and Julian, which was light-hearted and fun. 

I’ve been away from home until yesterday, but prepping a “Julian” is on my to-do list. 

Side note: Bro-in-law gifted me two bottles of Weller 12 this week. We killed the majority of a 750ml together, but I still came home with an unopened liter. Quite nice!

• Hook 'Em 1

For lack of a better term, what are y'alls  "daily drinkers?"

I don’t believe in having a daily drinker. I mean, I get the concept but I personally reject it. I have ~60 open bottles ranging from $25 up to $200 and I am constantly switching it up. I greatly prefer variety and basically never drink the same bottle more than once in a week.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, RichUT said:

I don’t believe in having a daily drinker. I mean, I get the concept but I personally reject it. I have ~60 open bottles ranging from $25 up to $200 and I am constantly switching it up. I greatly prefer variety and basically never drink the same bottle more than once in a week.

No shit?

My philosophy as well with around the same amount open
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Cousin Strawberry said:

Unlike my colleagues upthread, I don’t like to have many bottles open. I currently two bottles open, and one is strictly for cocktails. 

I like Wild Turkey Rare Breed as a daily, but it’s not cheap and a high proof. It’s a tough turn around on a weekday. 

Old Forester 100 is about $25 a liter. Early Times BiB is the same price and tastes extremely similar as they are the same proof/mashbill and they were the same distillery. I think OF 100 is slightly better in my opinion. It allegedly contains 8 year old product. 

My ideal daily drinker is a handle of a Buffalo Trace Store Pick. These aren’t easy to find, but they are $40 and last a little while. 

• Like 1

Bert is playing chess and we’re all playing checkers, but my collection is admirable when not compared to his.

With that said, I don’t dabble in my nice stuff unless it’s called for. My daily’s are easily findable bottles lie 4R sbs, the entire OF lineup as noted above, BT, and then the steady stream of barrel picks mine and BigD’s club does are more than enough for daily needs.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, RichUT said:

This right here.  I have in excess of 100 open and usually about 30 on the back bar at any one time.  A bottle will come out, lose a few ounces and then head back into the cupboard where I don’t see it until I’m running through my open list in Notes in my phone and dig through to find it.  I’m trying to not open any bottles right now until I kill one.  

If the question is what do I use for cocktails or people who don’t care then it’s a cheaper store pick EC or ER and Rare Breed/OF1920 for high proof.  If you had to pin me down on something I’d say EH Taylor SiB or SB because 100 proof is such a sweet spot. 

Bert is playing chess and we’re all playing checkers, but my collection is admirable when not compared to his.

With that said, I don’t dabble in my nice stuff unless it’s called for. My daily’s are easily findable bottles lie 4R sbs, the entire OF lineup as noted above, BT, and then the steady stream of barrel picks mine and BigD’s club does are more than enough for daily needs.

My first (or only, depending on the night) pour will always be something moderate to nice. Inevitably I end up switching to something from Herbie’s rundown. Only thing I always have an open of that I haven’t seen mentioned yet that’s good for the later pours or cocktails is Evan Williams Single Barrel, but go ahead and just bypass that and leave those on the shelf.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, Cousin Strawberry said:

Eagle Rare, Bulleit orange label (both for their consistently smooth flavor) or Rare Breed (if I need a quick buzz, but still damnabley smooth for a high octane pour) are my go to's if I drank on a daily basis.  

I hoard my Blantons cause it's gotten harder to find, and more it's expensive or that would be a daily drinker.

43 minutes ago, Cousin Strawberry said:

My dad drank plain old Ezra Brooks my whole life.  Do they have higher end options from that distillery?

Old Ezra 7 is a Luxco brand now using Heaven Hill sourced bourbon at barrel proof.  It’s damn good and $39 but has a secondary value of $75 or so and can be hard to find. 

• Like 1

Don't have a "daily drinker" per se because I don't drink every day and I like variety.  There are too many bourbons and other whiskies out there that I either enjoy or that I haven't tried to have just one or two that I imbibe routinely.  That said, I do manage to enjoy ER10, Evan Williams SiB, 4R Small Batch Select, EC, and OF 1910 on a fairly regular basis.  I'll typically have at least a couple of those five open at any given time.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, RichUT said:

every single word of this post describes my situation and attitude with remarkable accuracy and detail.