Bourbon

Jimbaround

57 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Whatever Goody Goody BigD shops at. 

Even that one has dried up quite a bit.  They've gone to a weekly drawing on most allocated stuff now.  I still get the hookup, but it's not on everything like it used to be.  But I've built up a big enough stash of OWA and most other allocated stuff that I drink to not really be bothered too much.  Just hope and pray I continue to get that call every Christmas for a WLW.

• Hook 'Em 1

c109af219053453316bd699bd0606662.jpg

Any of you vintage bourbon encyclopedias have any idea what this is? Found an unopened bottle and tried googling what it was. Closest I found out was one on a Pinterest page, but I can’t read the name on the original neck label that’s missing on mine. Just that it’s “8 year old Kentucky straight bourbon whiskey” or something.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

so a little update on my corner store shithole that was slowly turning into a honeyhole.

the short version - this glorified 7-11 had a stagg, jr sitting on the counter for $60 in like november.  he said he doesn't get much good stuff, but was happy to hold it back for me.  a couple weeks later he got an eht straight rye for $89.  he went through this whole song and dance about how he knows other stores gouge people on allocated bottles, but he doesn't like to do that.  

so he said his deliveries come on fridays, and to call him every friday.  i have been.  around christmas, he got 3 weller 12's and an old rip van winkle 10.  he was telling me this over the phone as i was putting my shoes on to literally run down there (it's down the hill on the corner), but then he told me the w12 were $199 and the rip was $600.  "but he could cut me a deal".  i said we were so far off, it wasn't worth negotiating.

i've been calling every friday since, and this past friday i called, and nothing.  but then a couple hours go by, and he called me back around 4pm, and said he got a couple of bottles of stagg, jr.  i said sweet, and started mentally thinking about whether i would buy both, probably i would.  then he said, "the stagg, jr is $199".

i was like, "ok, what?  the same stagg, jr you sold me for $60 like 2 months ago?"  he said yeah, last time we got a case, but this time we only got two bottles.  that shit is not true, he told me when i bought the stagg that it popped up by itself, and that they don't get many bottles.  he's also told me since then that because of our conversations, he's been pushing his distributor, and getting a lot more bottles.

so this turncoat mother fucker is now operating exactly like the secondary stores that he was shitting on like 10 weeks ago.  and he's only getting better bottles because i pushed him to ask for them.  so i'm making him more money, getting fewer bottles from him, and have eliminated this store from potential honeyhole status.

he killed my spirit.  my spirit blood is on his hands.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3
  • Rage+1 2

so a little update on my corner store shithole that was slowly turning into a honeyhole.
the short version - this glorified 7-11 had a stagg, jr sitting on the counter for $60 in like november.  he said he doesn't get much good stuff, but was happy to hold it back for me.  a couple weeks later he got an eht straight rye for $89.  he went through this whole song and dance about how he knows other stores gouge people on allocated bottles, but he doesn't like to do that.  
so he said his deliveries come on fridays, and to call him every friday.  i have been.  around christmas, he got 3 weller 12's and an old rip van winkle 10.  he was telling me this over the phone as i was putting my shoes on to literally run down there (it's down the hill on the corner), but then he told me the w12 were $199 and the rip was $600.  "but he could cut me a deal".  i said we were so far off, it wasn't worth negotiating.
i've been calling every friday since, and this past friday i called, and nothing.  but then a couple hours go by, and he called me back around 4pm, and said he got a couple of bottles of stagg, jr.  i said sweet, and started mentally thinking about whether i would buy both, probably i would.  then he said, "the stagg, jr is $199".
i was like, "ok, what?  the same stagg, jr you sold me for $60 like 2 months ago?"  he said yeah, last time we got a case, but this time we only got two bottles.  that shit is not true, he told me when i bought the stagg that it popped up by itself, and that they don't get many bottles.  he's also told me since then that because of our conversations, he's been pushing his distributor, and getting a lot more bottles.
so this turncoat mother fucker is now operating exactly like the secondary stores that he was shitting on like 10 weeks ago.  and he's only getting better bottles because i pushed him to ask for them.  so i'm making him more money, getting fewer bottles from him, and have eliminated this store from potential honeyhole status.
Don't really mean to "like" this post but damn can bourbon be a bitch nowadays

15 minutes ago, ISUCyclones said:
25 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

Don't really mean to "like" this post but damn can bourbon be a bitch nowadays

It gets harder everyday, and I don’t think the secondary market is entirely to blame. Bourbon is a very hot item. Casual consumers are dropping in on bourbon aisles and looking. All you need is a cell phone to figure out what to buy. 

57 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

I’ve had two stores start this and I no longer buy anything from them.  The only reason I was able to get Stagg Jr for $60 was my name was drawn.  But that store doesn’t overcharge for anything so they get all of my business.  I think I’ve talked my wife into going on a bourbon tour this summer so hopefully I can stock up then.  

1 hour ago, henrygandorf said:

Liquor stores are starting to think customer service doesn't matter because if they have the product, people will come. 

https://greatergood.berkeley.edu/article/item/how_money_changes_the_way_you_think_and_feel

5 minutes ago, stork642 said:

I’ve had two stores start this and I no longer buy anything from them.  The only reason I was able to get Stagg Jr for $60 was my name was drawn.  But that store doesn’t overcharge for anything so they get all of my business.  I think I’ve talked my wife into going on a bourbon tour this summer so hopefully I can stock up then.  

Visiting Kentucky is high up on my list of things to do in the next 1-3 years, but I am in no way expecting to find shelves full of allocated bottles at MSRP. At best, I would hope for maybe a gift store only bottle or two and perhaps a few bottles from distilleries that aren't distributing in Texas. I haven't read anything online that leads me to believe Kentucky is in any way immune to what's happening with bourbon pricing and availability. 

• Like 1

Visiting Kentucky is high up on my list of things to do in the next 1-3 years, but I am in no way expecting to find shelves full of allocated bottles at MSRP. At best, I would hope for maybe a gift store only bottle or two and perhaps a few bottles from distilleries that aren't distributing in Texas. I haven't read anything online that leads me to believe Kentucky is in any way immune to what's happening with bourbon pricing and availability. 
It's worse. If you get into small towns you will run into more, but it is probably at secondary pricing.

Heaven hill, four roses, and wild turkey put out good stuff in the gift shops. Heaven hill you will have to line up before they open though.

Buffalo trace has a huge line every day for eagle rare, Weller Sr, eht small batch, or blantons, which is random each day and only one of those. Fuck that
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, henrygandorf said:

That sucks, but at least you got some good deals out of him before he turned into a bastard.  (Feeling glass half full today . . .)

3 hours ago, ISUCyclones said:

It's worse. If you get into small towns you will run into more, but it is probably at secondary pricing.

Heaven hill, four roses, and wild turkey put out good stuff in the gift shops. Heaven hill you will have to line up before they open though.

Buffalo trace has a huge line every day for eagle rare, Weller Sr, eht small batch, or blantons, which is random each day and only one of those. Fuck that

That’s disappointing to hear.  I still would like to see the distillery but probably won’t wait in line hoping I showed up on the Blantons day.  We have to drop off the kid at a music camp so we’ll be in the area so might as well see some distilleries and look for some bourbon.   

That’s disappointing to hear.  I still would like to see the distillery but probably won’t wait in line hoping I showed up on the Blantons day.  We have to drop off the kid at a music camp so we’ll be in the area so might as well see some distilleries and look for some bourbon.   
Distillery is definitely worth it to stop by. Just book a tour and you get to skip the line of taters. After the tour you get dumped into the gift shop anyway, bypassing said taters waiting in line for their Weller special reserve.
  • Hook 'Em 2

5 minutes ago, stork642 said:

It is worth seeing the distillery.  Beautiful location.

• Hook 'Em 1

5d602cd39d1b93a7902f947300c8cdeb.jpg

Local place, $1 in spend gets you a point, but he does double and triple points specials. Redeeming points allows you to buy a bottle at MSRP. Tier two means he only takes half the points you redeem.

I’m just shy of 1200 points. I think I need to just buy $20 worth of beer and wine and redeem my points for the Stagg Jr and call it a day.

It will be unpopular here, but why is it bad customer service for a merchant to sell his inventory at fair market value?

There’s a standard markup of about 30% on just about every whiskey out there. Most fair market value as you put it, is anywhere from 230-330%.

If I know what you payed for a bottle of whiskey, and I know that everything else in your store gets the standard 30% markup except for the one item that I want, I’m going to resent the ever loving fuck out of you. Better yet, I’m probably going to light a candle and pray to Jobu that some horrible sneezing fit hits you whilst you’re shaving your genitals.
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, ISUCyclones said:

I’ve had pretty good luck in small towns in KY. I’ve typically been able to buy near retail outside of the high end allocated which have generally been more in the $300-$400 range where I have seen them. 

10 minutes ago, HRSchenker said:

I visited Kentucky a few years ago and got to check out Woodford Reserve, Maker's Mark, and the Barton distillery. Even the drive from the highway to the Woodford distillery is breathtaking. 

Is it really that beautiful?  Genuinely curious,  I’ve never been to Kentucky, and the only reason I would consider going would be brown water or horses.  If it’s actually scenic that would be a selling point for the better half.

4 hours ago, HouTex said:

It will be unpopular here, but why is it bad customer service for a merchant to sell his inventory at fair market value?

he can do whatever he wants to do, but it’s shitty to go 3.5x on the same bottle he sold me in nov then turned around and called me about in feb. 

i didn’t stumble upon it, he called me. that’s bad form. someone else labeled it bad customer service, not me. but i agree. and if i feel like going on yelp to tell others, that’s my right. 

not a big deal, there are plenty of secondary stores on the strip. thanks to me, there’s now one more. 

10 hours ago, Buzzrock said:

5d602cd39d1b93a7902f947300c8cdeb.jpg

Local place, $1 in spend gets you a point, but he does double and triple points specials. Redeeming points allows you to buy a bottle at MSRP. Tier two means he only takes half the points you redeem.

I’m just shy of 1200 points. I think I need to just buy $20 worth of beer and wine and redeem my points for the Stagg Jr and call it a day.

Yeah, ECBP and Stagg Jr. are the best values on that list by far.