Bourbon

Jimbaround

Bill, Bozo, or whoever-can you recommend where to go if you’re willing to pay secondary market prices?  I’m on the Facebook Austin Bourbon traders group and those guys will talk about making five or six stops into different liquor stores every weekend.  I’m never going to have time for that.  

26 minutes ago, LCHorn said:

Bill, Bozo, or whoever-can you recommend where to go if you’re willing to pay secondary market prices?  I’m on the Facebook Austin Bourbon traders group and those guys will talk about making five or six stops into different liquor stores every weekend.  I’m never going to have time for that.  

Honestly I don't go secondary very often. Off the top of my head, I've only really it down it once. I paid $400 for a 2019 George T. Stagg at a small liquor store in West Houston.

@BigDHornfan and @Yev Kassem are both mods of Facebook groups, they should be able to help you out. 

Before you do anything crazy, I would suggest trying what you want at bar. We're blessed here in Houston with 3 Whiskey Cake locations. They almost always have GTS, Handy, WLW for $45 a pour. It's steep, but it's a 2 oz pour and it should give you a pretty good idea on what you're willing to spend. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis
  • Hook 'Em 2

58 minutes ago, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

I grabbed a bottle of the Calumet Farm 14 year old Single Rack Black yesterday.  It was kind of pricey but there is not much out there that I can find so I gave it a shot.  Thought it was pretty good.  Anyone else try this yet?

Sam Houston 14 is the one you wanted. 

Calumet Farms 14 is the current king of the shelf turds. Nearly every Spec's has a bottle in their glass case. 

This is a good place to start.
Send me a pm with your name on Facebook and I’ll friend you and invite you.
a3f7d767aa8800b6d6450af7bd7337da.png

Calumet 14 is widely believed to be Barton distillate. A neighbor bought a bottle and I think that belief is accurate. I’ve had the SH14 too, and that’s definitely the better bottle if you’re in a position to choose.

That said, the Calumet 14 is not bad bourbon by any means. It’s maybe a touch too oaky, but has some really good flavors that help to balance it out. I think it ultimately falls a little short of the price tag, but it’s something I’d be happy to drink if I saw it out.

2 hours ago, LCHorn said:

I enjoy the secondary for what it’s worth.  It’s cheaper than most stores that have rare bottles out and also cheaper than stupid websites selling rare bottles.  If you need Austin group invites you can PM me, looks like Dallas is covered. 

5 hours ago, LCHorn said:

So this is just me, and there’s no judgement, but the two rules that keep it fun for me are

1) I never pay more than MSRP or within a reasonable range

2) I don’t flip

#1 is has gotten much harder. It takes relationship building and scouting that consumes time, and when retail staff turns over, you have to start all over again. But it’s rewarding and I’ve learned a lot about scotch, wine, and lots of other stuff and consequently I’m less single threaded through my bourbon.  #2 is easy, I don’t buy anything I don’t mean to drink at some point. But the combination of the two keeps me from having much if any awareness of the secondary market. 

But I will say this about how to buy good bourbon at retail 

- pick 2 or at most 3 stores and buy everything you want there. Ideally one very well stocked independent and one 2nd tier chain. But for the chain don’t go to the flagship store. Go the a smaller location that doesn’t get the bulk of allocated items and get establish yourself as a good customer.

- find out what the manager is into and  buy their recommendation in that category. Scotch, Wine, whatever.

- Don’t just buy bourbon. In fact, don’t even ask about it often. Most buy other stuff. But do buy bourbon, and spread your purchases out and express your opinion after the fact.

At some point, you should tell the manager that you are looking for something hard to get. It’s less important than what it’s not.  Do NOT ask for Pappy or BTAC, and Weller 12 is extremely dicey. MWND or Old Fitz would be a decent choice. Or RHF. Anyway tell them you are looking for _____, and ask if they have it at the flagship store. They almost certainly will say no, but if you did this right, the next thing that will happen will be the manager offering you something they have from the back room.  Whether or not you take it is up to you. But either way that’s the signal that you are in, and from that point on you should be getting access to whatever that store gets. 

Edited by Bozo_Casanova
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Herbie Hancock said:

3aedb647023912e9b725024e9d1b57aa.jpg

Never pass this one up boys. Never.

Sits on the shelf in Houston which is baffling. You'd think the Blanton's Boys would be all over this one. It's almost certainly older than Blanton's and a higher proof. 

It's a good nominee for a daily drinker. I always keep at least one on hand. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis
  • Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

What's this compare to in terms of flavor, nose, quality ?  Never seen one in the wild.

The last two have been pretty unique. 2017 and 2018 were pretty traditional bourbons. It's been awhile, but I really liked 2017. I can't remember anything notable about 2018. 

I got a cherry bomb note on the 2019 BB, but it was really good. It wasn't like any bourbon I've drank before. 

2020 had the best vanilla note I've ever tasted. The mixed reviews were strange. 

I'd say 2019 and 2020 BB were better than ORVW the past two years. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

The last two have been pretty unique. 2017 and 2018 were pretty traditional bourbons. It's been awhile, but I really liked 2017. I can't remember anything notable about 2018. 
I got a cherry bomb note on the 2019 BB, but it was really good. It wasn't like any bourbon I've drank before. 
2020 had the best vanilla note I've ever tasted. The mixed reviews were strange. 
I'd say 2019 and 2020 BB were better than ORVW the past two years. 

I get pineapple on the 2019.
Haven’t had the 20 yet.
19 is fucking hands down the best one I’ve tasted.
I’ve had 2015-2019.

5 hours ago, Herbie Hancock said:

3aedb647023912e9b725024e9d1b57aa.jpg

Never pass this one up boys. Never.

I texted @huge, @Ramsalot, and @henrygandorf about JJB last night. I think huge bought another bottle recently. 

Buffalo Trace single barrel 100 proof juice. $45. Comparable to McKenna 10, almost as good as Blanton's.  Readily available. Everyone here should buy it. 

Edited by Hank Kingsley

12 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Sits on the shelf in Houston which is baffling. You'd think the Blanton's Boys would be all over this one. It's almost certainly older than Blanton's and a higher proof. 

It's a good nominee for a daily drinker. I always keep at least one on hand. 

Not as smooth drinking as Blantons IMO.  I've had several of their offerings, Some are better than other for sure.  The distillery is just up the road about an hour.  

6 hours ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Not as smooth drinking as Blantons IMO.  I've had several of their offerings, Some are better than other for sure.  The distillery is just up the road about an hour.  

The smooth word trips me up every.single.time. I see it. Is smooth really a characteristic that people actively look for in whiskey? I hear smooth and I lose almost all interest in trying whatever it's attached to. Don't get me wrong, I don't like harsh whiskey. But, I definitely want spicy and bold bourbons and I enjoy many of the physical responses (i.e., "the burn") that come with those pours. 

Am I misunderstanding the use of this term, or is it more of a personal preference sort of thing?

Edited by RichUT
  • Hook 'Em 1

32 minutes ago, RichUT said:

The smooth word trips me up every.single.time. I see it. Is smooth really a characteristic that people actively look for in whiskey? I hear smooth and I lose almost all interest in trying whatever it's attached to. Don't get me wrong, I don't like harsh whiskey. But, I definitely want spicy and bold bourbons and I enjoy many of the physical responses (i.e., "the burn") that come with those pours. 

Am I misunderstanding the use of this term, or is it more of a personal preference sort of thing?

Smooth is an out for a lot reviewers. The better ones won't use it. 

That said, it's difficult to describe Weller 12 or Eagle Rare without using smooth. 

1 hour ago, RichUT said:

You're spot on.  I think it is a personal preference thing. I wouldn't describe a rye as smooth. Smooth to me isn't spicy, peppery or bold. It can for sure have hints of vanilla, leather, caramel, etc.  But when I think of Blantons I think smooth, and mellow. When I think bold, Pappy or Elijah Craig comes to mind as they always seem a much more spicy pour.  I don't care for the burn other than as a trace flavor.

14 hours ago, RichUT said:

I’m pretty much a rookie at describing flavor profiles. But, I use the term smooth to describe how long it takes to complete the shot. If I swallow it and it takes a second to feel the burn, that is not smooth. It does not mean it is good or bad, only how long one must wait before the kick.

I’m pretty much a rookie at describing flavor profiles. But, I use the term smooth to describe how long it takes to complete the shot. If I swallow it and it takes a second to feel the burn, that is not smooth. It does not mean it is good or bad, only how long one must wait before the kick.

When you say “shot”, please tell me you really mean sip.
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, RichUT said:

Well, I guess it could. At my age, the thought of shooting anything is just weird. And if I got a wild hair and decided to take a shot of something, it certainly would not be (bottom shelf) brown water.

To each their own and all that.

Took shots with my 80 plus year old grand dad (depth charges).  Sometimes a shot is warranted, just to be social and all.... : )

4 hours ago, RichUT said:

Yes, just a sip. I made the mistake very early on with some 140 proof Stagg. Thought I could take a shot and pull in some air as it went down, ala’’ wine taster looking for different notes. Yeah, really bad fucking idea. I’m an old guy, kicked my ass. I won’t make that mistake ever again.

9 hours ago, RichUT said:

i almost typed this word for word.

a couple of years ago, we were at some restaurant where a couple of us had dinner, but then others joined us after for drinks, and i wanna say we were drinking blantons or whatever was ~top shelf to sip.  a friend of a friend joined us, and we ordered him one, and when it came, he was like, "gotta catch up" and went to shoot it, and the whole table was like, "no no no!" but he did it anyway.  moron.

if i never take a shot again, i'm fine with that.  i'll shotgun a beer, but that's about it.

13 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

a couple of years ago, we were at some restaurant where a couple of us had dinner, but then others joined us after for drinks, and i wanna say we were drinking blantons or whatever was ~top shelf to sip.  a friend of a friend joined us, and we ordered him one, and when it came, he was like, "gotta catch up" and went to shoot it, and the whole table was like, "no no no!" but he did it anyway.  moron.

if i never take a shot again, i'm fine with that.  i'll shotgun a beer, but that's about it.

And this guy said he'd never put a life preserver on again, and look where it got him.

images-1.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, henrygandorf said:

Last time I took a shot was fireball before the Cowboys/Packers playoff game at Lambeau in 2015.  It was cold and Dez caught the ball.

• Like 1

I don’t think I’ll ever stop shooting high quality tequila... yes, I sip it too, but I have ZERO qualms throwing back Dragones or similar like it’s Cuervo on 2-1 night.

Bourbon? Never.