Bourbon

Jimbaround

Been waiting for this one for the longest time.
How does Woodford at 128 proof taste 1000% better than regular WR?
Big leathery nose with chocolate and a hint of caramel on the palate and coffee coming in on a big long finish.
It just keeps going and going.
Just outstanding.
Going to need a backup!
e49a5fa16d36fe66ce2b02cd0735a17b.jpg

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

57 minutes ago, BigDHornfan said:

Big leathery nose with chocolate and a hint of caramel on the palate and coffee coming in on a big long finish.
Just outstanding.
Going to need a backup!

Better than Woodford Very Fine Super Rare Old Bourbon?

10 hours ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

We're skiing the northeast for 10 days of spring skiing.

A guy in an RV next to ours had battery trouble.  We fixed him up, and he was very proud to offer us some fine Vermont bourbon.  He was particularly proud of the fact it was finished with real maple syrup. 

Had to accept his kind offer, but note to self: never buy Vermont bourbon finished with real maple syrup. 

Pour it in a pan, light it on fire, reduce it down, add a little extra syrup and bless some French toast with the finished product. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

We're skiing the northeast for 10 days of spring skiing.

A guy in an RV next to ours had battery trouble.  We fixed him up, and he was very proud to offer us some fine Vermont bourbon.  He was particularly proud of the fact it was finished with real maple syrup. 

Had to accept his kind offer, but note to self: never buy Vermont bourbon finished with real maple syrup. 

Pour it in a pan, light it on fire, reduce it down, add a little extra syrup and bless some French toast with the finished product. 

Just outstanding.
Going to need a backup!

It looks delicious just based on that coloring.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blind tasted Makers Mark, Cask Strength, Private Select, and Limited Release

Makers Mark was easy to pick out; weak nose, weak taste. Blah

Cask Strength surprisingly kicked Private Select's ass, and the Cask Strength was maybe 95% as good as Limited Release; those last two tasted similar to me, except LR stayed on the tongue longer, which I suppose is worth paying up for once a year 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Fud said:

Blind tasted Makers Mark, Cask Strength, Private Select, and Limited Release

Makers Mark was easy to pick out; weak nose, weak taste. Blah

Cask Strength surprisingly kicked Private Select's ass, and the Cask Strength was maybe 95% as good as Limited Release; those last two tasted similar to me, except LR stayed on the tongue longer, which I suppose is worth paying up for once a year 

Thanks for the review. 

I believe there’s a FAE-02 is coming out in the fall. 

Wife made some banana bread muffins so I had to wash it down with a couple of pours.  Not going to lie, I don’t think the JD Barrel Proof Rye is really doing it for me.   Decent at retail but when secondary hits $300 I’m unloading my spares. 

Second pour was a L’Encantada Lous Pibous single barrel from 1995. I have five of these Armagnacs open now and this is by far the best. Do yourself a favor and pick one or three up.  If you like bourbon you’ll like this.  

DF2EF76A-ED4E-4121-B13F-F4E9C4AD6803.jpeg

Wife made some banana bread muffins so I had to wash it down with a couple of pours.  Not going to lie, I don’t think the JD Barrel Proof Rye is really doing it for me.   Decent at retail but when secondary hits $300 I’m unloading my spares. 

Second pour was a L’Encantada Lous Pibous single barrel from 1995. I have five of these Armagnacs open now and this is by far the best. Do yourself a favor and pick one or three up.  If you like bourbon you’ll like this.  
DF2EF76A-ED4E-4121-B13F-F4E9C4AD6803.thumb.jpeg.47a7c8c1b1d88aa885b2d4435d9940cf.jpeg

Man, I will say I’ve respected your opinion 100% thus far based on tried overlaps, but I’m not with you on this one. That stuff is fantastic in the 3 variations I’ve had. That said, I’ve seen as high as $260 personally, and it’s been tempting. I’ve currently got a 132.7 from TW and a 133.2, and I won’t part with them for anything.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, H_Boogie said:

Man, I will say I’ve respected your opinion 100% thus far based on tried overlaps, but I’m not with you on this one. That stuff is fantastic in the 3 variations I’ve had. That said, I’ve seen as high as $260 personally, and it’s been tempting. I’ve currently got a 132.7 from TW and a 133.2, and I won’t part with them for anything.

It’s unique and different than the other profiles out there, but other than being balls to the wall on proof I’m not sure it’s better in its uniqueness. Probably most comparable to the Michter’s style in the tobacco and char   notes.  Finishing up with some SAOS 4 yr rye and I’ll take the clean rye spice and marshmallow nose with a little sweetness on the palate any day. 

You can still listen to my 100% valid opinions on the Armagnac, tho. 

• Like 1

It’s unique and different than the other profiles out there, but other than being balls to the wall on proof I’m not sure it’s better in its uniqueness. Probably most comparable to the Michter’s style in the tobacco and char   notes.  Finishing up with some SAOS 4 yr rye and I’ll take the clean rye spice and marshmallow nose with a little sweetness on the palate any day. 

You can still listen to my 100% valid opinions on the Armagnac, tho. 

Lol and eventually one of us will drive to Dallas or Austin for a swap. I can slap your hand for being wrong then.

The SAOS Cask Strength SiB Rye is one I wish I could have back. I bought one bottle at Total on a whim. Forgot about it and then tried it a few weeks later. It was a terrific rye for a 4 year. Of course it was long gone when I tried to buy more. 

While I like the NASA SAOS bourbon picks, the rye was much better. I should have spent my money there. 

Jack Daniel’s makes better ryes than “Tennessee Whiskey”. Everybody understands except for Jack Daniel’s. 

On 4/13/2021 at 6:53 PM, BigDHornfan said:

Just outstanding.
Going to need a backup!

Is this worth the $130 price tag?  Thinking of grabbing one.

4 minutes ago, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

How would you compare it to EC barrel proof or Stagg Jr.  

SJR to me has always just been hot.  not much flavor profile that fits my palate.  The WR BP has much more depth to me.  
ECBP is great, but I prefer the WR.  your mileage may vary.  

• Hook 'Em 1

I think Buffalo Trace has Stagg Jr very dialed in, but it’s very tough to find. 

Woodford Reserve Batch Proof is about the same scarcity and $80 more expensive. I haven’t tried the 2021 edition, but the Stagg Jr releases from 2020 will be tough to beat. 

Elijah Craig Barrel Proof C Editions need to be aggressively hunted every year. If your collection is small to smallish, I’d recommend picking up A-C every year until you grow it out. I passed on C920 in a package deal. A regrettable decision. I really didn’t want to buy Irish whiskey after dropping $150 on a Doc Swinson’s store pick. 

42 minutes ago, Fud said:

Grabbed a Heaven’s Hill BIB, and this thing isn’t great for ~$45. Tastes more like something I’d be ok with buying for $30 

31 minutes ago, Hank Kingsley said:

Yeah, I'm not a fan either. 

$30? You mean $15? That’s what it used to retail for. 

https://www.gobourbon.com/yep-heaven-hill-6-year-bottled-in-bond-discontinued/

It’s a great deal at $15. It’s incredibly rough though. And in no way holds up at $45 

They let it age an extra year and raised the price by 30. I understand raising prices for demand but that ain’t a $45 bourbon. I would pay $25

@USCATX are you familiar with Rebecca's Creek process? I assume MGP distills, barrels, and ages it in Indiana before tank dumping the distillate and trucking it down to Texas. Rebecca Creek then proofs it down using water from the Edward's Aquifer, and bottles it. 

78C43EDA-DD40-420C-BBCB-212A732A1C97.thumb.jpeg.425593a8906db86464be420df6339959.jpeg

Edited by billfromlaketravis

2 minutes ago, Scooter Monzingo said:

I have a 2016 that is not opened. And based on what this shit is currently selling for in my neck of the woods it probably won’t be for a while. So for now I will have to imagine it’s great.

And as we all know, price is the greatest indicator of value. 

Spoiler

1*Wiv_I1d5MKvV8ntxcHoZRA.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I have a 2016 that is not opened. And based on what this shit is currently selling for in my neck of the woods it probably won’t be for a while. So for now I will have to imagine it’s great.

Are you considering selling it? If not, why does the current market price make you want to wait to drink it? If you are concerned about the replacement value then you may never drink it.

50 minutes ago, HouTex said:

Are you considering selling it? If not, why does the current market price make you want to wait to drink it? If you are concerned about the replacement value then you may never drink it.

Well, It is a lot of money for me. So I would hope something special happens and I can bust it open. I would enjoy it sharing with friends celebrating whatever good fortune came my way.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

@USCATX are you familiar with Rebecca's Creek process? I assume MGP distills, barrels, and ages it in Indiana before tank dumping the distillate and trucking it down to Texas. Rebecca Creek then proofs it down using water from the Edward's Aquifer, and bottles it. 

78C43EDA-DD40-420C-BBCB-212A732A1C97.thumb.jpeg.425593a8906db86464be420df6339959.jpeg

I’ve never done a tour, not sure if they’re aging in TX or not.  It’s not distinctly different than most MGP to me, so if it’s fully aged in TX that would throw a wrench in the logic that most TX bourbon has to taste like ass. 

Also, LOL at Edward’s Plateau.  Reminds me of that idiot Fajita’s at Rita’s billboard on 35 outside of Schertz. 

Well, It is a lot of money for me. So I would hope something special happens and I can bust it open. I would enjoy it sharing with friends celebrating whatever good fortune came my way.

I’d argue that simply possessing a bottle of WLW is good fortune worth celebrating.
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Got to enjoy some Booker’s Anniversary (silver wax) tonight along with the best and most infesting ERSB pick I’ve had to date.

Lost my ass at cards but those two were certainly winners. The ER was especially dusty up front, giving way to the traditional flavor profile, and I’ve never tasted anything that came close to that combination.

8 hours ago, Party_Taco said:

Got to enjoy some Booker’s Anniversary (silver wax) tonight along with the best and most infesting ERSB pick I’ve had to date.

Lost my ass at cards but those two were certainly winners. The ER was especially dusty up front, giving way to the traditional flavor profile, and I’ve never tasted anything that came close to that combination.

Booker’s 30th has a silver top.

C30EA5C7-FB3E-4249-A574-D311F8A5C348.thumb.jpeg.c96d7ca85b78eadd4d0a073e052d01ae.jpeg

31 minutes ago, TankedBevo said:

Saw some TX Barrel Proof on the shelf at my local liquor depository. I fucking love the blended but haven't tried anything else from them. Label was marked with 127 proof and was selling for $65. Worth picking up? There was six bottles left when I was there yesterday 

image.gif.d01d209a61c12689d09fec024e74407d.gif

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, TankedBevo said:

Saw some TX Barrel Proof on the shelf at my local liquor depository. I fucking love the blended but haven't tried anything else from them. Label was marked with 127 proof and was selling for $65. Worth picking up? There was six bottles left when I was there yesterday 

I honestly haven’t tried it, but most people in this thread are violently opposed to Texas bourbons. 

32 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I honestly haven’t tried it, but most people in this thread are violently opposed to Texas bourbons. 

I gotcha, and that makes sense. I'd never pay what Garrison or Balcones are asking for but TX's blended is so good imo I was wondering if they had any chops in the bourbon game, especially considering the price. Might get it just to fuck around and find out.