Bourbon

Jimbaround

Pop it PT. I know a lot of us are wondering. 

While you’re at it, start hitting the pavement to look for Bowman Barrel Strength. I want this. 

If it’s around tomorrow afternoon I’ll snake one...

Been owning the Bowman distillery a visit, so that might be the spot to locate the BS.

17 hours ago, usmc0331horn said:

Being brand new to bourbon, what should I definitely have in my home bar? I drank some Woodford yesterday and it was decent but I have no idea what is good or isn't at a decent price. I've consumed many if not most of the white whale beers and think I'm ready to move on to our beloved bourbons.

If you want to dabble in something more expensive that doesn’t suck then grab a Remus Repeal Reserve for $76.99.  12-ish year MGP at 100 proof is a great option.  Tejas Liquor also has an Elijah Craig pick right now which is as good an option as you’ll find in the $30 range. 

• Hook 'Em 1

9 hours ago, Party_Taco said:

Thoughts on this? I don’t really do Jefferson’s, but this caught my eye...

af73c564f6262278ea8021abe08055cf.jpg

got one on wednesday.  specs had plenty.  guy up there told me they were all surprised it wasnt moving.  it was ok i guess.  not worth the price.  RBR or any of the HW cask finishes (not scotch) are better buys.

• Hook 'Em 1

11 hours ago, RichUT said:

There is no wrong answer, but I’d personally point you to the very solid $50-$60 tier and suggest you pick up 4-5 of the following:

Wild Turkey Rare Breed
Old Forester 1910 or 1920
Woodinville Bourbon
1792 Full Proof
John J Bowman Single Barrel
Russell’s Reserve
Four Roses Small Batch Select

You’re going to pick up more variety in flavor profiles across these products which should prove helpful in dialing in your preferences.

I love the high proof offerings, but for a starter I'd be staying in the 80 proof range. Bulleit would be a good start because it's easy to find, and in the $30 range.  

If you see Eagle Rare jump on it because it's a really great intro bourbon. After that start moving up the higher proof chart, and looking at the ryes (not my favorites though).

1 hour ago, USCATX said:

If you want to dabble in something more expensive that doesn’t suck then grab a Remus Repeal Reserve for $76.99.  12-ish year MGP at 100 proof is a great option.  Tejas Liquor also has an Elijah Craig pick right now which is as good an option as you’ll find in the $30 range. 

Thanks for the recs! I tried Four Roses Single Barrel yesterday and really enjoyed it. I'll keep this in mind and put them on my list to try.

2 hours ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

I love the high proof offerings, but for a starter I'd be staying in the 80 proof range. Bulleit would be a good start because it's easy to find, and in the $30 range.  

If you see Eagle Rare jump on it because it's a really great intro bourbon. After that start moving up the higher proof chart, and looking at the ryes (not my favorites though).

Different strokes, but I disagree with starting low proof and working your way up. I'd actually advocate for the opposite. Get a water dropper to proof it down if you have to, but if you're in the process of acclimating, start hot and dial it back. 

Besides, none of my recommendations are really THAT high to begin with. I think Rare Breed was the hottest, and that is still just in the 116 range. 

Edited by RichUT

3 minutes ago, RichUT said:

Different strokes, but I disagree with starting low proof and working your way up. I'd actually advocate for the opposite. Get a water dropper to proof it down if you have to, but if you're in the process of acclimating, start hot and dial it back. 

Besides, none of my recommendations are really THAT high to begin with. I think Rare Breed was the hottest, and that is still just in the 116 range. 

116 is going to burn the new bourbon drinker IMO.  I say start low, and work your way up.  The hotter it is the harder it is to pick out the flavors if you're focussing on the heat.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

To each their own. My second bottle of bourbon ever was Booker's and I ended up loving it. Granted, the first sip was eye opening, but it accelerated my ability to handle higher proof whiskey and made things in the 100-110 range feel downright approachable.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, thrillhammer said:

oak liquor had a store pick last time i was in there.   i killed it quickly.  it was good for a texas bourbon.

Store picks are double barreled MGP distillate where 4-5 years is the first barreling from Indiana and the second barreling is done in TX for about a year. Not exactly Texas bourbon but it would explain why it’s good. 

FB whiskey group I help run has a special Woodford Rye pick we did with a DFW cigar lounge that includes a Woodford Rye Single Barrel, mint julep mix, Woodford Julep cup and 3 cigars aged in the Woodford Barrel.
If anyone may be interested in grabbing one, pm me.
Shipping available.
8d7c8ec8f8ba3585e7e5ac14f6014c5f.jpg
40d96712878d56466079585d921a89a8.jpg
6e30ee72c2eb5025ad7c166440b112f4.jpg

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Yev Kassem said:

Saw some Rebecca Creek 12 at ACL in San Antonio for $92. That was a bit too high for me the pull the trigger. I didn’t mind taking a flyer at $75, but not willing to pay almost $20 markup. 

Support the local guys, it’s worth $92 anyway.  

4 hours ago, USCATX said:

Support the local guys, it’s worth $92 anyway.  

My buddy actually found me the cask strength (just under 100 proof) Rebecca Creek 12 for $100, so I went with that instead. 

Apparently there were only 1400 bottles of the cask strength Rebecca Creek 12 so I’ll let y’all know how it goes. 

Edited by Yev Kassem
  • Hook 'Em 1

got one on wednesday.  specs had plenty.  guy up there told me they were all surprised it wasnt moving.  it was ok i guess.  not worth the price.  RBR or any of the HW cask finishes (not scotch) are better buys.

Damn, wish I had seen this before I pulled the trigger... was gonna report in with a “full meh” as, though it hits a ton of notes, all of them fall flat.

The hint of sweetness fighting through the burn on the tail was the only aspect worth mentioning IMO. At least it’s a pretty bottle I guess...

b1bd4309cc5373a80f63d1452e2f322c.jpg

2 hours ago, Party_Taco said:

Damn, wish I had seen this before I pulled the trigger... was gonna report in with a “full meh” as, though it hits a ton of notes, all of them fall flat.

The hint of sweetness fighting through the burn on the tail was the only aspect worth mentioning IMO. At least it’s a pretty bottle I guess...

b1bd4309cc5373a80f63d1452e2f322c.jpg

Jefferson’s never fails to deliver the disappointment, especially when it come to the enjoyment/dollar ratio.  

Oldest known bottle of whiskey to be auctioned

Source: https://www.ksnblocal4.com/

April 24, 2021

A 250-year-old bottle of whiskey, believed to be the oldest known whiskey in existence, is set to be auctioned.

Skinner Auctioneers believes the bottle was originally a gift and has been safeguarded for generations.

The front of the Old Ingledew Whiskey bottle says it's from Evans & Ragland in La Grange, Georgia. The back features a typed note taped to the glass that says, "this bourbon was probably made prior to 1865."

Skinner Auctioneers says they used a needle to extract a small sample of the liquid to be sent off for testing by experts. Scientists from the University of Georgia determined the whiskey was likely bottled between 1763 to 1803.

The bourbon is set to be auctioned at the end of June for $20,000 to $40,000.

5 hours ago, Mac8111 said:

Oldest known bottle of whiskey to be auctioned

Source: https://www.ksnblocal4.com/

April 24, 2021

A 250-year-old bottle of whiskey, believed to be the oldest known whiskey in existence, is set to be auctioned.

Skinner Auctioneers believes the bottle was originally a gift and has been safeguarded for generations.

The front of the Old Ingledew Whiskey bottle says it's from Evans & Ragland in La Grange, Georgia. The back features a typed note taped to the glass that says, "this bourbon was probably made prior to 1865."

Skinner Auctioneers says they used a needle to extract a small sample of the liquid to be sent off for testing by experts. Scientists from the University of Georgia determined the whiskey was likely bottled between 1763 to 1803.

The bourbon is set to be auctioned at the end of June for $20,000 to $40,000.

How is an American whiskey the oldest known bottle? That's wild to me. 

16 minutes ago, Carl Spackler said:

And the winner is . . . ?

Stagg Jr with the win on that one.  It got killed by EHTBP #9 and ‘18 GTS and then I shelved it.  But in this one it really couldn’t be touched with that cherry note that I love.  The Woodford is great, more caramel and oak with less peanuty finish than the ECBP.  Woodford has been on a roll with this batch proof and the Very Rare Fine Bourbon.  

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, stork642 said:

Any thoughts on Remus Repeal Reserve III?Picked it up today for $75. Haven’t had it before.  

It’s good, but I prefer II.  Haven’t tried I or IV and would guess that the Rebecca Creek 12 would beat out the III blind. 

• Hook 'Em 1