Bourbon

Jimbaround

20 minutes ago, Fud said:

How would you rank the Van Winkle + BATC for a lotto at msrp? I especially have no idea how to rank the BATC, but I'm assuming 23, 20, and 15 are the first three

I think most would have it like this: 

1) Pappy 15

2) WLW

3) Pappy 20

4) Van Winkle Rye

5) Pappy 23

6) Eagle Rare 17 

7) Sazerac 18

8.) ORVW

9) Handy 

* I didn’t list GTS because it’s unavailable this year. I’d probably it put 6th or 7th in a normal year. 

Many people think Pappy 20 and 23 are too oaky and under proofed. I’ve tried 23 and enjoyed it. 15 seems to be the consensus sweet spot for Pappy. Peak age and proof. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis
  • Hook 'Em 2

I think most would have it like this: 
1) Pappy 15
2) WLW
3) Pappy 20
4) Van Winkle Rye
5) Pappy 23
6) Eagle Rare 17 
7) Sazerac 18
8.) ORVW
9) Handy 

* I didn’t list GTS because it’s unavailable this year. I’d probably it put 6th or 7th in a normal year. 

Many people think Pappy 20 and 23 are too oaky and under proofed. I’ve tried 23 and enjoyed it. 15 seems to be the consensus sweet spot for Pappy. Peak age and proof. 

I’m sure this is in reference to the TW lottery emails that came out today. The list above is missing Lot B. You a hater or just an oversight? Haha They do actually include GTS in the offerings this cycle, so not sure if that’s an oversight or if they just know they have leftovers from previous years. I remember a few posts about people getting 19s in 2020 and whether or not the raffle specified (does not - blurs the proof and year on images).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10 minutes ago, H_Boogie said:

I’m sure this is in reference to the TW lottery emails that came out today. The list above is missing Lot B. You a hater or just an oversight? Haha They do actually include GTS in the offerings this cycle, so not sure if that’s an oversight or if they just know they have leftovers from previous years. I remember a few posts about people getting 19s in 2020 and whether or not the raffle specified (does not - blurs the proof and year on images).

Yes I forgot Lot B. I’d ranked it 9th. Handy 10th. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis

4 hours ago, Fud said:

How would you rank the Van Winkle + BATC for a lotto at msrp? I especially have no idea how to rank the BATC, but I'm assuming 23, 20, and 15 are the first three

Pappy 23

WLW

Pappy 15

GTS

Pappy 20

ER 17

Lot B

ORVW

Handy

Getting hit by a truck

Saz 18

*rankings on taste, not retail or secondary pricing.  If you’re paying then Saz 18 (Buffalo Trace years) is even more laughable and Pappy 23 isn’t 2x better than WLW   

• Like 1

So the Bourbon Pursuit guys think 2021 GTS goes back in the barrel and gets released in a later year. 

Something tells me there will be a lot of GTS in 2022.

A lot means maybe some of us beg/borrow/steal and most of the universe gets none

I’m drinking the Russell’s Reserve SiB, watching the Astros, and enjoying the nice weather with some friends. 

Pretty good, but damn it has some strong Turkey notes. Not surprising as it a distiller’s pick. The Village Liquor picks are better. 

Despite whatever the f*** is going on at Bellmont life is good. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Tried Series 6 when I was at the distillery. It’s a much needed comeback after the letdown that was Series 5.

Still working on my Series 5. Bought into the hype and picked up a bottle. Good but not a fan for the price. Better, cheaper alternatives out there.

18 hours ago, BigDHornfan said:

Doc Swinson is Jim Beam distillate

Bardstown's Discovery Series features blends of older, sourced bourbons. Bardstown Discovery Series #6 will be a blend of the following:

• 68% 11-year-old Kentucky bourbon (undisclosed distillery). 75% corn, 13% rye, 12% barley, likely sourced from Jim Beam
  • 16% 17-year-old Tennessee whiskey (undisclosed distillery). 84% corn, 8% rye, 8% barley, likely sourced from Dickel
  • 16% 7-year-old Indiana bourbon (undisclosed distillery). 75% corn, 21% rye, 4% barley, likely sourced from MGP

Bardstown Bourbon Company just officially announced Discovery Series #5 and Fusion Series #5, but we can expect these new, sixth editions later this year. Expect pricing to be about the same, $60 for the Fusion Series bottling and $130 for Discovery.

https://lostcargo.com/article/upcoming-bardstown-fusion-and-discovery-series-6-blends-revealed

Bardstown's Discovery Series features blends of older, sourced bourbons. Bardstown Discovery Series #6 will be a blend of the following:
  • 68% 11-year-old Kentucky bourbon (undisclosed distillery). 75% corn, 13% rye, 12% barley, likely sourced from Jim Beam
  • 16% 17-year-old Tennessee whiskey (undisclosed distillery). 84% corn, 8% rye, 8% barley, likely sourced from Dickel
  • 16% 7-year-old Indiana bourbon (undisclosed distillery). 75% corn, 21% rye, 4% barley, likely sourced from MGP
Bardstown Bourbon Company just officially announced Discovery Series #5 and Fusion Series #5, but we can expect these new, sixth editions later this year. Expect pricing to be about the same, $60 for the Fusion Series bottling and $130 for Discovery.
https://lostcargo.com/article/upcoming-bardstown-fusion-and-discovery-series-6-blends-revealed

Yep. Beam

Hopefully they'll have some Discovery Series 5 and 6 at a whiskey social I'm attending later this week. I'd like to find out for myself. 

I will say that blend should give everyone pause. I like 11 year Beam, but it's not for everybody. I hate Dickel, and I won't touch it unless somebody gifts me a bottle. 

Side bar: I loved the NASA Liquor Doc Swinson 15 year old pick. It's not cheap, but I think it's worth the money. 

Has anybody tried the new Prideful Goat? 
I believe Kris Hart said something on his radio show that they're working on a rye. 
HIm and his partner both swore up and down that Prideful Goat I wasn't Beam. They're either lying to us, or it's pretty settled fact that it was Heaven Hill. 

I’m good friends with his partner.
They signed a non disclosure. They can’t say what it is.

It’s Beam.

3 minutes ago, BigDHornfan said:

I’m good friends with his partner.
They signed a non disclosure. They can’t say what it is.

It’s Beam.

Haha of course it is. Maybe they crossed their fingers behind their backs when they said it wasn't Beam on the radio. Thanks for clearing that up. 

So it's safe to say Prideful Goat I is the same as Doc Swinson 15? 

3 minutes ago, BigDHornfan said:

Who waited in line for PG?
Specs had tons of it

PG 2 required an advance ticket, and you had to pick it up at the "distillery" East of Downtown Houston. I haven't seen it at any Houston liquor stores. 

I walked into a release of PG 1 when I was picking up something else, and it went in a hurry.