Bourbon

Jimbaround

2 hours ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

I’ve got a couple bottles of ETL, paid about $35 per

I think I hate you.

It's strange how the bourbon supply and prices can be so different between areas of the country.  I can readily get Eagle Rare and Blanton's where I'm at (CA), and the prices aren't crazy.  But apparently they're both scarce in TX.  OTOH, if I'm looking for ETL or Weller out here?  Fuhgeddaboutit.

5 hours ago, Carl Spackler said:

I'm a fan of ER, but I've gotta admit that I'm kicking myself for not trying the McKenna BIB sooner.  More heat than the most recent vintage of EWSB, but still smooth with no burn.  I get a fair amount of vanilla from the McKenna, which I like.  Definitely another worthy candidate in the $25-35 range, along with BT, EWSB, ER and a bunch of others.    

For the price I think the McKenna BiB is a clear winner. One of the rare times a rec from the store has paid off for me.

2 hours ago, Carl Spackler said:

I think I hate you.

It's strange how the bourbon supply and prices can be so different between areas of the country.  I can readily get Eagle Rare and Blanton's where I'm at (CA), and the prices aren't crazy.  But apparently they're both scarce in TX.  OTOH, if I'm looking for ETL or Weller out here?  Fuhgeddaboutit.

truth.  blantons, er, etl, mck all easily found here.  but for some reason being nextdoor to ky i can rarely find any weller offerings.  when it's on the shelf it's as good as gone.

11 hours ago, Carl Spackler said:

I think I hate you.

Eagle Rare and Blantons arent scarce in TX

15 hours ago, conVINCEd said:

I'm in DFW, and I haven't seen Weller Antique in a couple of years.  I shop at Specs/Total Wine exclusively, would I have better luck at a smaller independent place?

This is correct. It will be hard to find at these stores. Go to the privately owned stores or the woods.

7 hours ago, GreenspointTexas said:

Eagle Rare and Blantons arent scarce in TX

Maybe scarce isn't the right word to use, but I've seen a lot of posts on this board and the old Shag in which posters were bitching about having to go to great lengths to find ER and Blanton's, and I assume most of those folks live in TX.  I suppose it may depend on which part of TX one lives in.

On 3/31/2018 at 9:17 PM, Carl Spackler said:

I think I hate you.

I can always get ER. Blantons and ETL are always on allocation but I'm a good customer of a couple of places and I don't hoard or resell, so when they have good stuff in the back room they usually put a bottle aside for me. So at the moment I've got Weller 12, Blantons, ETL, and Craig 18, purchased at MSRP.

• Like 1

I couldn't wait for the weekend.

Love the vanilla notes in the Henry McKenna 10 year.  Extremely smooth with a couple of small pebble ice cubes from my ice-maker.

De-frosting a batch of seafood gumbo that I froze in late December since we've had our last cool weather of the year blow through up here in North Texas.  This should go well with it.

13 hours ago, FigurelliPwC said:

Picked up a bottle of Weller 12 today - Westlake Twin Liquors.  $25.99.  They may have more, she brought me one from the back.  Any leads on Antique in Austin?

I was told that Twin Liquors rarely, if ever, has Antique for retail sale.  The allocation they get is sold wholesale to bars and restaurants.  

New distillery called Rockfilter opened about 30 minutes down the road from me in Spring Grove, MN last fall.  Making some really great stuff.  The distiller also grows all the grain used (corn, oats, sorghum, rye) within a 10 mile radius of the distillery.  If you ever find yourself at the nexus of Minnesota, Iowa, and Wisconsin, it's worth your stop.

ZNZVcQc.jpg

Went up last Friday, as my wife's boss plays in a blues band that was doing a show there.  Good stuff as usual.  Due to the crowd volume, they were doing cocktails.  I ordered a smoked Bloody Mary, which was ridiculously good.  Had never tried that with bourbon.

A9B6Cwe.jpg

The food truck was damn good too.  A Spring Grove native had been living and working in Austin for the past decade, and had learned the Centex BBQ style.  He's taken the methods he learned there and applied it to proper cornfed Midwestern pork and beef.  A stellar match.  The good stuff was sold out by the time I got hungry, but the chopped brisket and pulled pork sandwiches were solid as hell.

xR1QUIE.jpg

Edited by Al_4_ISU
  • Like 1

On ‎3‎/‎31‎/‎2018 at 9:57 PM, conVINCEd said:

I'm in DFW, and I haven't seen Weller Antique in a couple of years.  I shop at Specs/Total Wine exclusively, would I have better luck at a smaller independent place?

Goody Goody in Little Elm has it in the back if you make your way up there and just ask for it.  At least they did last week.

oh fuck you.  tell me you didnt just find that on the shelf or behind the counter. 

Should I tell you I didn’t find it behind the counter or should I tell you the truth?

I’ve had good luck there. A month or so ago it was Blantons, which was what I was hoping for today.

Just had that gut feeling today. “I need to drop by and see.”

I certainly was not expecting to land a BTAC bottle.

I glanced up and saw it and said “Whoa. How much for the William La...never mind. It doesn’t matter. I’ll take it.”

2 hours ago, ou97cpa said:

OKC, but I’ll be in Tulsa this weekend. Any particular store?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's been a while since I looked, but my advice in order would be as follows.  These are the stores I generally visit so I may be missing some.  If for whatever reason it's dried up in the last month or so, forgive me.  I just always notice it on the shelf because this board says its hard to find in Texas, and I always found that interesting.

1.  Ranch Acres

2.  Midtown Liquor

3.  Modern Spirits

4.  Parkhills (midtown or south)

5.  Warren Wine & Spirits

6.  Tulsa Hills Wine Cellars.

I might stop by one or more of these places before the weekend and if I see it I'll post it here.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, thrillhammer said:

wow horn21, that was a score.  it must have set you back a pretty penny, but that's one of the unicorns.  nice pick up.

It was less than I was expecting...$87, which I believe is MSRP.  With surprises like yesterday, I may be swinging by 2-3x a week after work.

Stumbling on WLW for $87 on the shelf is unbelievable. Like, I don’t believe it.

That’s fine. I had a hard time believing it myself. Would be an odd thing to lie about, though.

Lucky for me, belief or no belief doesn’t change how much I’m going to enjoy it.

It's been a while since I looked, but my advice in order would be as follows.  These are the stores I generally visit so I may be missing some.  If for whatever reason it's dried up in the last month or so, forgive me.  I just always notice it on the shelf because this board says its hard to find in Texas, and I always found that interesting.
1.  Ranch Acres
2.  Midtown Liquor
3.  Modern Spirits
4.  Parkhills (midtown or south)
5.  Warren Wine & Spirits
6.  Tulsa Hills Wine Cellars.
I might stop by one or more of these places before the weekend and if I see it I'll post it here.

Thank you! I’ll check some this weekend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Buzzrock said:

Stumbling on WLW for $87 on the shelf is unbelievable. Like, I don’t believe it.

Some stores like playing where's waldo and put out allocated bottles randomly on the shelf throughout the year for regulars to find.

1 hour ago, FigurelliPwC said:

Good lunch hour, found a good independent store in N Austin.  Weller Antique (39.99 for a 750ml) and EH Taylor small batch.  Also had Eagle Rare but didn’t buy it (39.99 also.)  EH Taylor Rye also but didn’t want to spend $70.

you gotta help a brother out here.  What store?  I called that Westlake Twin Liquors you mentioned up-thread and they had just sold their last Weller 12 bottle.