Dalhart

smwhorn

8 hours ago, Beau Vine said:

Dumas is much less of a shithole than Dalhart.  

I kindly disagree.  Dumas has a packing plant and lotsa people who work there.  

12 hours ago, Neonmoon said:

Prison? 

Internship.  For the work I was doing, Dalhart was awesome.  And is it really THAT bad?  You're a short drive from Taos.  Taos is awesome.  The nicer parts of Amarillo are fine too.

• Like 1

I drove through Dalhart once.  It was indistinguishable from any of the rural county seat towns in Nebraska, western Iowa, or Kansas.

That's not a compliment.  I'd have to think you could get a good steak or burger there, though.

Do those rural county seat towns have 200,000 cows upwind?  Is everyone's back yard laden with sandbur?  I work in agriculture, and Dallam and Hartley counties are 90% irrigated corn.  That is why I was there.

Good bbq though.  Hodie's gets my whole-hearted endorsement.

13 minutes ago, Parliament said:

Do those rural county seat towns have 200,000 cows upwind?  Is everyone's back yard laden with sandbur?  I work in agriculture, and Dallam and Hartley counties are 90% irrigated corn.  That is why I was there.

They have lots of cows and pigs, so yeah, they smell.  Less irrigation probably (but still a fair amount of it). 

On 5/8/2019 at 7:53 AM, Al_4_ISU said:

I drove through Dalhart once.  It was indistinguishable from any of the rural county seat towns in Nebraska, western Iowa, or Kansas.

That's not a compliment.  I'd have to think you could get a good steak or burger there, though.

It's exactly what you would expect halfway between Guyman, Oklahoma and Tucumcari, New Mexico to look, sound, smell, and taste like.

• Like 1

On 5/8/2019 at 8:14 AM, Parliament said:

What we have here is someone who has never driven through Dodge City.

9 hours ago, SimonBolivar said:

They're only 3 hours from Dodge City. When my brother lived in Perryton they would their shopping in Dodge City.

Never been to Dodge, but I have been to Garden.  And Liberal.  Garden was OK, I guess, but Liberal was decidedly NOT.

• 1 year later...

My grandparents and folks winter in Arizona, and in late March I’m driving my dad’s vehicle down to Tucson to permanently leave there. Looks like I’ll be spending a Friday night in Dalhart in the process.

Anything worth a shit there food and booze-wise, or should I just plan on getting Subway and a 6 pack in my hotel room?

Hell, I posted in the thread and forgot about it.

I drove through there years ago, and it seemed like any other small town in the middle of nowhere, but I didn’t eat there or anything.

Based on that thread, woof. Then again, I have a high tolerance for places in the middle of nowhere.

My wife's grandmother and most of her mom's family live in Hartley, which is even smaller and the next town over. There used to be a decent little mom & pop Mexican place there, but her aunt said it closed due to covid. There are lots of migrants living there now working in the dairies, so I'd bet most Taquerias are legit. 

XIT Woodfire Grill

http://places.singleplatform.com/xit-woodfire-grill/menu?ref=google

Twisted Elm

http://places.singleplatform.com/twisted-elms-golf-club/menu?ref=google

The Grill- small divey diner. For your burger fix.  I have eaten breakfast here, but never lunch/ dinner

Dalhart, TX 79022
Edited by slorch

1 hour ago, slorch said:

XIT Woodfire Grill

http://places.singleplatform.com/xit-woodfire-grill/menu?ref=google

Twisted Elm

http://places.singleplatform.com/twisted-elms-golf-club/menu?ref=google

The Grill- small divey diner. For your burger fix.  I have eaten breakfast here, but never lunch/ dinner

Dalhart, TX 79022

We drove through there going to Colorado over Christmas and had lunch at the "Red Baron Cafe" inside the airport. It was actually very good food. No atmosphere at all and off the beaten path, but definitely worth the extra 10 minutes detour off of 87. 

Dumas is a lot nicer, imo.