Valheim

MillerEP

1) You can eat 3 different items at once, make sure you always have 3 different types of food at all times to maximum your stamina and health bar, cooked meats are the best, but Jelly is also super easy to make.

2) Find the peddler as soon as possible (only spawns in Black Forest biomes, so drop a portal near him when you find him) to get yourself the weight upgrade and the fishing pole, fish don't take long to catch and they're a great cooked meat source.

3) Don't over terraform where your main base is, it'll cause massive fps drops once you reach a certain point of no return and until they optimize that better it'll suck.

4) Carts are your friend, most of the items you'll constantly need are in the meadows biomes, which are the safest biomes (berries, fine wood, necks/deers/boars, and fish)

5) Don't start sailing in Ocean biomes until the start of a new day, the sea serpents are really hard to see at night, and you don't want to be caught out there with the wind against you

6) Portals are your friends, they're super easy to make, and all the ingredients can fit in the storage hold of a Knave ship. Carry that stuff with you everywhere so you can port back to your main base whenever you find a safe spot. Also, make sure you build a portal next to all the bosses and in at least each biome, so you can always have a quick path back to repair your gear at your main forge, and also have easy access to stock up on supplies before going on an expedition.

7) Whenever somebody finds something new, pass it around real quick so everybody can learn the recipes. This also works with storage crates, wherever your storage room is, put one of everything in them. That way when somebody new comes on, they can move it to their inventory real quick, and then back to the box to catch up.

8) Swamps are a pain in the ass, since most things can poison you, make sure you stock up on poison potions (2 should do) before going into sunken crypts to mine iron. I also don't recommend you delve into those on your own, it's best with a friend. It's also wise to mine the iron from top to bottom, that way you can look into the next room to see if there is anything waiting for you on the other side.  If there is, pull out your bow to clear it before unblocking the path fully.

9) Always carry at least 10 regular wood with you and a hammer, so you can plop down a workbench anywhere to repair structures you find out in the wild, repair your boats/carts/etc., or if you're like my friends and I who always carry a hoe to make paths (for the carts) and put signs up everywhere (just takes 1 coal and 1 wood), you can build bridges or signs to make trekking around the world easier. You can hit the middle mouse button while holding the hammer to demolish the workbench and it'll drop your 10 wood back, and whatever you built there like a bridge or sign or whatever will stay there.

10) Use the map markers to mark the shit out of your map. Mark resource locations, portal locations, where you leave your boat/cart, where you died, where you saw fairy circles or dungeons, etc. There is no limit that I have found to what you can mark on your map. You can also put a red X on your map markers to mark resources or dungeons you cleared, you'll thank yourself later when you discover it's much easier to plan.

Edited by MillerEP
  • Hook 'Em 1

• 1 month later...

It keeps breaking all kinds of Steam records. It's really well done for a small shop/early access game. And it's only $20. I've got 100 hours into it in 6 weeks and not bored at all. I'm probably still only half way through the actual game progression. You could go faster, but I like to build cool bases instead of working on the game progression sometimes. 

We downed the last boss in about 3 weeks and had all metal weapons and armor. Then after finding the Merchant, we really didn't have anything left to do. So now we're all just waiting for some new biomes to open up. So my advice is to not progress too fast, or else you'll end up like us.