What's the range of real temperatures you have experienced in your life?

Trivial, but slightly interesting.   I know we have some folks who have been to all ends of the earth on here, but did they hit it at the right time of the year?  Don't be using the wind chill or heat index numbers.   What was the actual temp on the thermometer?

As a kid, we had record temps of 117 in Wichita Falls/ North Texas in the Summer of 1980.  Today it is -9 in Amarillo.

126 degrees for my lifetime.

Ambient air temp in Ontario, Canada, -30 below zero.  (I know that's redundant like ATM Machine, but it's for effect).  Few occasions in Texas, Western Morocco, and Nevada at about 115.  With heat indexes, probably 125 but for very short periods of time.  With wind chill, been at near -60 below zero for sustained periods of time. 

been up in arctic circle and around everest and shit, but the coldest ive ever felt was springtime in saltillo mountains near monterrey.  wore like 4 layers inside my sleeping bag and almos froze to death.  no idea of temperature.

second coldest ive ever felt was getting ghosted by this girl after what i thought was a good date at cirque du soleil.

hottest?  pick any day in texas.  there was that one summer where it was 40+ days without precipitation, and 100f+?  that was unberaable

• Haha 2

dibs on "Around Everest And Shit" for my REI improv troupe.  Was gonna call it a nice humblebrag ;) but you stuck the landing with "and shit" Nobody says, "The crossfit gym I do and shit", "I used to live around Manhattan and shit", "I became a vegan and shit."  Well done.  

And yeah, Saltillo Mountains get real fucking cold after sunset, real quick, and with no warning.

-25 during my 4 years I lived in SD. High is going to be the 112 during during the summer of 1980. (I dont really remember how hot it was when we went to Death Valley when I was a kid but I swear it felt like I was on the surface of the sun). 

137+

Edited by Laxtonto
national weather service says my memory sucks
  • Like 1

120-plus in the Arava, hottest part of the Negev in Israel. I was a kibbutz volunteer laying pipe (not the Steel Shank kind) in that shit. I about went loco.

I was also on a worksite sitting in a pick-up truck through the hottest day in Chicago history. It was about 104 and humid as fuck. Hundreds of people died over the course of a few days. 

Coldest I can say with certainty was about -9 in Nashville. Ex and I got off a bus in the middle of the night in bumfuck Germany one night to stretch our legs while en route to Prague and that was so cold you could practically hear it. Somewhere below zero, I am sure. 

36 minutes ago, Chooky said:

So a -87 wind chill is pretty much when your eyes slide out of your head and sound like ping pong balls when they bounce across the sidewalk?

Anything that wasn't covered stung within about 15 secs.  I was out for like 4 mins. and had to thaw my extremities for 15 mins. afterwards.

This was during a major pileup on an interstate.  Cops finally got to me about 4 hours into the wreck.  Fortunately I was traveling with GF and we had tons of winter clothes.  Unfortunately she was on her time of the month.  Considered for a few seconds holing up outside the car in -87° wind chill instead.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

119 in Phoenix back in the late 90s and -39 in Calgary in 2006.  Landed in Calgary that afternoon, checked in to hotel and my co-worker and I planned to walk across the street (literally) for dinner.  As we walked out the doorman asked if he could get us a cab.  We said, we are just walking right over there (pointing to the restaurant) and he said "are you sure"?  We said we were sure and then realized our mistake  by the time we reached the corner but were too prideful to turn back.  We did get a cab to go back to the hotel after dinner though.

2 hours ago, McCroskey said:

Lol at y’all knowing the actual temperature when you were in Vegas.

I usually measure it as cold, hot, or hot as fuck.

The women or the craps table?

21 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

My money is on @Macanudo to take the prize here, unless some oil worker on here has been to prudhoe bay as well as somewhere near the equator. 

my dad has been to both the north slope and some equatorial fields but i don't think his equatorial travels were to anywhere hotter than texas.  desert regions typically aren't right on the equator.  cairo is further north than houston, for example.  

now someone going to both the north slope and qatar, that'd probably do it. 

Edited by elfenix

-22 in Lake Louise, Alberta.  I was snow skiing and moisture in my eyelashes would freeze inside my goggles.  

116 a couple of times in DFW area. 

The most memorable heat for me was Six Flags a couple of years ago when it was 112 or so.  It took me  a few days to recover from that.  Never again.

10 years ago we reached 134 degrees, I think it was a field outside of my town that was the hottest place on the planet

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.mprnews.org/amp/story/2011/07/20/hottest-most-humid-mn-day-ever-tuesday-severe-risk-today

Coldest would’ve been a cold snap 2 years ago with the air temp at -26 but a wind chill of -56

https://www.weather.gov/fgf/2019_01_29-31_ExtremeCold

Looking at 200 degree swing. Edit: I guess thats heat index and wind chill

I don’t want to flex but the snap we’re in now pretty common. Next week looks promising, back to the mid 30s. That’s 60 degrees right there. Don’t see anything too cold in the future case