What's the range of real temperatures you have experienced in your life?

4 hours ago, Chewbacca said:
4 hours ago, General Specific said:
-25 skiing Colorado (during a white out) trying to get that last run of the day.
112 just south of Ft. Stockton (saw a bird drop dead out of the sky)

-25 during the day? Wind chill, maybe, but zero chance ambient was that cold.

Unlikely, sure, especially if it was during a white out. Coldest temps in Colorado are under clear skies. But the coldest temp ever recorded in Colorado was -61, and the mountains hit the -20s at least once pretty much every year. This is from December 2020, for example: image.thumb.png.bd1272ec00cb83ad93e41ee0d319f6e8.png

image.png

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

10 years ago we reached 134 degrees, I think it was a field outside of my town that was the hottest place on the planet

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.mprnews.org/amp/story/2011/07/20/hottest-most-humid-mn-day-ever-tuesday-severe-risk-today

Coldest would’ve been a cold snap 2 years ago with the air temp at -26 but a wind chill of -56

https://www.weather.gov/fgf/2019_01_29-31_ExtremeCold

Looking at 200 degree swing. Edit: I guess thats heat index and wind chill

I don’t want to flex but the snap we’re in now pretty common. Next week looks promising, back to the mid 30s. That’s 60 degrees right there. Don’t see anything too cold in the future case

Yeah, 134 would have been a new all-time record on the plant.  What was the actual air temperature that day? 

12 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

My money is on @Macanudo to take the prize here, unless some oil worker on here has been to prudhoe bay as well as somewhere near the equator. 

Maybe.   The coldest it got when we were in Alaska was -58.   And the hottest I've been in was 110 in Death Valley as a kid.     And like Slorch said....   I was 35 in Alaska and 7 or 8 in CA.   

Edited by Macanudo

-19 below at my house right now. -20 on my car as I drove into town. Not sure the accuracy of a 2004 grand Marquis. Just know it's really cold. And it appears that the igniter has gone out on my furnace. I put heat lamps on both lp regulators to make sure they weren't frozen. They aren't. Waiting for the heating guy to troubleshoot the controls. It last ran at 6:00 so it's still 65 in the house but it is dropping.

Unlikely, sure, especially if it was during a white out. Coldest temps in Colorado are under clear skies. But the coldest temp ever recorded in Colorado was -61, and the mountains hit the -20s at least once pretty much every year. This is from December 2020, for example: image.thumb.png.bd1272ec00cb83ad93e41ee0d319f6e8.png
image.thumb.png.3bbec70779c53ac77d64ed471598aba3.png
Yes, i understand all that since i live in CO and have a house in one of the coldest places in the lower 48.

It wasn't -25 at 3 in the afternoon. Coldest temps are at night under clear skies. Not during the day in a snowstorm. Clouds hold heat in.

I was in Breckenridge in the early 2000s skiing and riding up the last ski lift to the top and it was snowing hard. They closed the mountain and made us ride the lift back down. When we passed the digital board that had the temperature, it said -50, but that might have been the wind chill. I honestly don't believe that was ambient temp.  But that seared in my brain. At the bottom of the lift, we had to ski down the rest of the way for some reason I can't remember. It was a white out, and I was just trying to follow the other people. A group of snowboarders took a blue run so I went down and made it after losing them halfway through the run.  For sure the coldest ambient temperature was  -13 below in Minneapolis. Who knows what the wind chill was but that felt a lot colder than Breck. 

Hottest is Phoenix at 113. 

42 minutes ago, burntorangebongos said:

I was in Breckenridge in the early 2000s skiing and riding up the last ski lift to the top and it was snowing hard. They closed the mountain and made us ride the lift back down. When we passed the digital board that had the temperature, it said -50, but that might have been the wind chill. I honestly don't believe that was ambient temp.  But that seared in my brain. At the bottom of the lift, we had to ski down the rest of the way for some reason I can't remember. It was a white out, and I was just trying to follow the other people. A group of snowboarders took a blue run so I went down and made it after losing them halfway through the run.  For sure the coldest ambient temperature was  -13 below in Minneapolis. Who knows what the wind chill was but that felt a lot colder than Breck. 

Hottest is Phoenix at 113. 

I have seen some wicked wind chills on the mountains during the day.  Coldest I remember seeing is -35 or so at the top of Mary Jane.  -50 is certainly believable with WC.  

2 hours ago, Shoxthemonkey said:

-19 below at my house right now. -20 on my car as I drove into town. Not sure the accuracy of a 2004 grand Marquis. Just know it's really cold. And it appears that the igniter has gone out on my furnace. I put heat lamps on both lp regulators to make sure they weren't frozen. They aren't. Waiting for the heating guy to troubleshoot the controls. It last ran at 6:00 so it's still 65 in the house but it is dropping.

After I posted I left the heat lamps on the regulators for another hour. It was too cold for me to worry about wasting the electricity. I decided to try the furnace one more time and lobyhole it came on. Apparently it can get too cold for LP regulators to do their job.The sun is out and it's only -3 now. Crisis averted.

36 minutes ago, Guadaloopy said:

Bahrain, August 1996.  I’m sure the actual air temp was only around 110F, but the thermometer at my watch station read 139F.  Steel covered in black non-skid gets real hot, real quick and radiates something fierce.  

Met a construction foreman who did a lot of DOD work in the ME. He showed me a pair of boots that melted (delimited, soles deformed) on his feet where they were working on some roofing projects.

14 hours ago, Longhornstampede said:

All these people using heat index and wind chill....fuck that. Post the actual temp.

I felt every bit of that 122 in Qatar.

I do not want to know what the feel like was.  No wonder they keep blowing shit up in the ME, they're all hot and miserable. 

• Hook 'Em 1

About 30 below in Glasgow Montana in February of 1988.  A week later, I was fishing at Lake Amistad and it was about 95.  I much prefer 95.  115 in Olney Texas on the opening day of dove season around 2001 or so. My dad used to tell the story of attending services at the First Baptist Church of Seymour back in '36-temps got to 120.  

On 2/15/2021 at 8:55 AM, slorch said:

Trivial, but slightly interesting.   I know we have some folks who have been to all ends of the earth on here, but did they hit it at the right time of the year?  Don't be using the wind chill or heat index numbers.   What was the actual temp on the thermometer?

As a kid, we had record temps of 117 in Wichita Falls/ North Texas in the Summer of 1980.  Today it is -9 in Amarillo.

126 degrees for my lifetime.

I was there in Wichita Falls at the same time.  So 117 on the high end, and -10 last winter in Douglas, Wyoming.  127 degrees for me.  Working in the oil field for both of those extremes.

Hottest:  117 while on a month long exercise at the Nat. Training Center in Ft Irwin, CA in Aug 1993.

Coldest: -47 in Barrow, AK Feb 1999.  It didn't get above -40 for almost 48 hours!

165 degree swing.

Edited by Burt

On 2/15/2021 at 9:35 PM, Blotto said:

-15 Milwaukee. Dont think the temperature got above 0 for over a week. 

112 in Austin in 2011. I shit you not, the austin hot sauce festival was that weekend so we checked it out that Sunday. Fantastic idea. 

I'm guessing is was the '77 polar vortex? I was in elementary school in the Cleveland area that year. Hit -17 and stayed below 0 degrees F for 17 days straight.  Have the same Austin 2011 as well. Weathered it at a friend's villa at Barton Creek Resort.

Edited by ShaggyBevo RIP

6 minutes ago, ShaggyBevo RIP said:

I'm guessing is was the '77 polar vortex? I was in elementary school in the Cleveland area that year. Hit -17 and stayed below 0 degrees F for 17 days straight.  Have the same Austin 2011 as well. Weathered it at a friend's villa at Barton Creek Resort.

it was either 98 or 99.

-17 in Denver on business trip. All meetings for multiple days were canceled. LoDo was completely shutdown so stayed in hotel most of the time. Hungarian girlfriend (no pics) had flown there to hang. And hang we did.
A week later, a podiatrist sent me the bill for the procedure to uncurl all 10 of her toes. Don’t care... had seks. 

119 in Phoenix business trip. Dry heat, humid heat. Doesn’t matter. 119 is 119 and it’s too fucking hot. Fuck Phoenix summers.

8 hours ago, markstanco said:
10 hours ago, Trey3216 said:
-24 skiing in Steamboat
117 at my house in Waco area.  

Google the record high temp in Waco. Don't go by your truck temp at 5p going home.

I know the record high temp at the Waco Airport is 114.  The temp at 3 different Wunderground stations within 1 mile of my house was 117 that day.  

Heat is easy,  +110* (texas, new mexico, arizona)

Cold: (no windchill effect)

Fargo, ND: -20* w. whiteout blizzard

Minneapolis, MN: -10*, w/ whiteout blizard

Cleveland, OH: -7*, lake effect

Chicago, IL: -10ish*, lake effect

Madison, WI: -15* or so w/ blizzard

Anchorage, AK, -7* - just a normal evening - got shit faced at Matanuska brewery and had to walk a mile at 4am to get my rental car back

Edited by Doc Holliday
forgot Madison, WI

On 2/18/2021 at 9:39 PM, markstanco said:
On 2/18/2021 at 8:01 PM, Trey3216 said:
-24 skiing in Steamboat
117 at my house in Waco area.  

Google the record high temp in Waco. Don't go by your truck temp at 5p going home.

Don't go by the "official" temperature taken at the airport that sits out of town by the lake either. 

• Like 1