Gomorra Seasons 1-4 Thread

wutang75

How is there no thread for this? It’s been one of the most popular shows in the world for several years and from what I’ve been told it’s easily one of the best gangster TV series ever.

I just started it and I’m about halfway through Season 1 and it’s held up to its reputation so far. The influences from The Sopranos and The Wire are very obvious.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

6 hours ago, Dr. Beeper said:

I can only watch in English with really shitty dubbing. Ruins the show for me. I can’t change the setting as far as I know. Anyone else have this problem?

Also where is Season 4?

I'm using Roku, so it may be different.

Once ir's playing, I hit the "back" button.  At the bottom, there are several options, one of which says "Italian". Hit that and your good to go.

I can only watch in English with really shitty dubbing. Ruins the show for me. I can’t change the setting as far as I know. Anyone else have this problem?
Also where is Season 4?

I’m using the HBOMax app and when you go to the show’s main screen it says English, click on it and it changes to Italian.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm about 8 episodes into the first season. I'm not too enamored yet but would be willing to keep going. Mrs. Doom is far more weary of it at this point. The dubbing is bad but tolerable - that's not really our problem with it. Just find it slow moving, and the action/events don't seem to be very well supported or logically connected. 

How much better does it get? And how quickly? I feel like I'm approaching the point where I'm either going to have to give her a pep talk about how it's supposed to get better, or else agree to cut our losses and move on. 

What episode is the sort of the "if you don't like it by now, you'll never like it" point? I'd prefer an episode number in order to avoid spoilers, but if it's some event that can be described, that's fine too, and frankly, if it's a little spoilery, that's probably okay just since we might be close to quitting anyway. But please put it into spoiler tags for anyone else who might appreciate that. 

Thanks! 

Edited by Prepuce of Doom

I didn't fuck with it exhaustively, and the HBO app on our TV is an erratic mess with respect to all language and subtitle settings for all shows (i.e., sometimes in order to turn them on, I have to select "off," or to turn them on, I have to turn them on, then off, then on again, etc. - just a constant case of trial and error where the highlighted selection doesn't always match the outcome) but I don't know whether that's our issue with the show. 

Unless they're actually changing the scripts and making them say totally different things that aren't in the original, we can deal with the Kung Fu Theater aspect. It's more of a plot, writing, and general lack of coherent storytelling narrative that is bothering us. 

Any help or input in that regard? 

Unfortunately, no.  I watch HBO Max on xbox and it is pretty abysmal.  For me, it always defaults to english dubbing no matter what the last setting was.  Then, have to pause, switch to italian with subtitles, and restart playback.  It really is a considerably different artistic experience in the native tongue.  I have heard that some of the dialogue is actually different in english, but I can't verify that.  I can verify that the english dubbed version is terrible and I only lasted about 30 seconds on S1E1 with the dubbing on by accident 

Edited by Lazarus Bocanegra
grammer n stuff

Cool - I'll fight the interface and see if we enjoy the subtitled version more. 

As far as my experience thus far has been, perhaps that's further confirmation that the dubbed version is worse than useless. I don't see any basis for comparing this to the Wire or the Sopranos based on what I've seen. 

Thanks! 

Unfortunately, I think we're going to pull the ripcord. By the time we sit down to watch TV at night, (generally after watching the local news, whether live or DVR'ed) Mrs. Doom is always at some level of risk for falling asleep on the couch, even with a non-subtitled show. Her reading subtitles in a darkened media room is a fool's errand for a show of this length and (purported) complexity. It would take a very long time for us to get through the show in 30 minute (+/- 10 minutes) installments, and I also think that we did ourselves no favors by assuming that the dubbing was accurate and reliable this whole time.

I don't know that it would have made a difference (probably wouldn't have been able to talk her into trying it in the first place, given what we know about her baseline propensity for falling asleep and the subtitles "force multiplier") but perhaps @wutang75 could maybe edit the OP to add a very clear admonishment that the show must be watched with subtitles so that the next person doesn't make the same mistake that we did? 

If and when my work travel schedule gets back to pre-pandemic levels, I'll probably come back to this as my "watch on flights" show someday though. 

Edited by Prepuce of Doom

Just finished season 1 last night and I’ll recommend it (also, didn’t even try the English version, subtitles for the win).  I saw the film the series is based on during its theatrical release and the series is not nearly as depressing (way too much killing of children in the film to feel anything other than sorrow). 

it’s interesting because I’ve switched to this after finding the characters on White Lotus uniformly repellant and Gomorra’s are all pretty malicious.  

• 5 months later...
On 1/28/2022 at 12:19 AM, Prepuce of Doom said:

New season of Ugly Dudes with Stupid Haircuts and Even Dumber Nicknames Riding Mopeds in Tandem and Climbing Up and Down Stairs and Occasionally Shooting Each Other just dropped on HBO. 

you left out drone footage of cars.  I'm still pumped for it though 

• Hook 'Em 1

• 4 weeks later...