Converting from Android to iPhone

markstanco

Whole family is on iPhone, and I want to be able to FT my kids so I am about to cave in.

Who has done this? Transition not too bad? Man I have a lot of files on my 200 gig sd card but I would really miss them.

Apps are my main concern. I pay for maybe a dozen apps. Do they transfer globally for the most part?

i switch back and forth.  same with computer operating systems. takes like 30 minutes to setup.  95% of shit is server / "cloud" hosted so the medium doesnt really matter anymore. 

no, your google play apps dont translate to apple store apps unless its subscription/logon based. 

Tried the iPhone 12 Pro for a week to replace a Galaxy S9.  Bought it mainly for iMsg (have a MacBook, iPads, and most people I know have iPhones).  Thought, why not sync up all my devices on MacOS/ iOS.

Very nice phone- iMsg, smooth animations/ scrolling, great camera, and apps worked great.  However, I couldn't quite get used to it.  And, things like my old lightning cables/ qc charging stand not working, along w/ no fingerprint scan, didn't help.

Guess I'm too tied into customization/ features missing from my old Android, after having a similar setup since the early days of Android/ one of the early HTCs.  Not rooting or playing w/ Roms these days, but, still like to use Nova launcher, and change certain things from stock.

So, ended up ordering a new Galaxy S21/ 256GB.  W/ the trade-in deal Samsung is offering, I saved about $600.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/19/2021 at 7:54 AM, LosIllini said:

Tried the iPhone 12 Pro for a week to replace a Galaxy S9.  Bought it mainly for iMsg (have a MacBook, iPads, and most people I know have iPhones).  Thought, why not sync up all my devices on MacOS/ iOS.

Very nice phone- iMsg, smooth animations/ scrolling, great camera, and apps worked great.  However, I couldn't quite get used to it.  And, things like my old lightning cables/ qc charging stand not working, along w/ no fingerprint scan, didn't help.

Guess I'm too tied into customization/ features missing from my old Android, after having a similar setup since the early days of Android/ one of the early HTCs.  Not rooting or playing w/ Roms these days, but, still like to use Nova launcher, and change certain things from stock.

So, ended up ordering a new Galaxy S21/ 256GB.  W/ the trade-in deal Samsung is offering, I saved about $600.

Thanks for taking the hit for me. I'm starting to get an unreliable (and presumably inaccurate) "moisture in USB port detected" error on my S9 and was tentatively entertaining the idea of finally switching to an iPhone, but I think I'll stick with what I know (and only kind of hate) instead of learning something new that I will probably hate even more simply by virtue of having to relearn basic shit that I already know how to do. Plus, every time I have borrowed someone's Mac laptop, it has driven me bonkers with the "not too different, but different enough" shit, so as annoyed as I am that Samsung has eliminated much of what set them apart from Apple (swappable batteries, SD cards, headphone jacks, etc.) I can't see myself being less annoyed by switching to an iPhone than by just buying the latest and greatest Samsung. 

And given the fact that you're also an Illini fan, I can trust that you have a well-informed and sensible perspective on the matter, with impeccable taste and unassailable wisdom to match. 

Interestingly enough, I got that same message on my S9 a couple of weeks ago.  Popped up out of nowhere, never had it before.

The phone definitely wasn't wet.  I was in my truck, plugged it into a brand new 'fast' usb-c to usb-c cig lighter charger that I picked up off Amazon.  Think that was part of the issue.  Reading up, it looks like others have experienced that as well.  Likely some type of dirt/ contamination (not water) in the port that's shorting pins/ indicating moisture. 

D/K if Samsung is still running their S21 trade-in deal, but, I was able to get $350 trade-in credit for the S9, plus they threw in some goodies- smart tags and a fast wall charger.  S21 is definitely faster, nice screen, fingerprint reader works pretty well.  Read some complaints about the camera/ processing s/w, but, I'm not taking any fancy pics.

And, yes, I do my best to have a well-informed and sensible perspective on the matter, with impeccable taste and unassailable wisdom to match... Lol.

btw- If you trade an old phone in, make sure you follow the Samsung directions to the letter--- backing up your data, then logging out of Google/ Samsung accounts, before factory resetting from the Settings menu (not recovery).  Seems a fair number of people were getting jammed up on the trade-in, as their phones weren't actually wiped correctly, and the techs couldn't validate due to Factory Reset Protection.

• Hook 'Em 1

I wouldn't be at all surprised if the moisture warning was some kind of bullshit planned obsolescence suicide pill designed to get people to buy a new phone. 

I bought a wireless charger yesterday, and that seems to have done the trick, but plugging anything into the USB port seems to be risky, so I'm minimizing that to the extent possible between now and when I can get a new phone (and of course the S21 Ultra with the most memory is sold out on the Verizon website...) just in case that might cock up the process of moving my shit from current phone to new phone. 

I plan on holding on to mine just to have a backup, so no worries on the trade in nonsense. 

Thanks! 

I think Samsung is running some sweet deals on the S20s as well, which are probably getting better with time as the newer phones are rolling out.  I purchased my S21 unlocked, just swapped the sim from the old phone (though, I hear this may be a an issue if you're running 5G, which I'm not.)  They had phones in stock at the time, so, shipping wasn't delayed very long.

Edited by LosIllini