[SERIOUS] The I need help, my house is freezing thread

immamac

We have been without electricity  for about 24 hours, if you have windows, nail the thickest blankets you have over the them. Burn every candle you have. We have stopped the temp drop. Dont know if this is the appropriate thread  but it has helped my family. About out of phone charge   

CHIEF

you have you have, we have every you have

• Hook 'Em 6

Definitely post location if you are comfortable giving that info; no one can find ya' if all your devices go south.  I always ask for a vehicle description of whats in the driveway.  It's just easier that looking for some little ass haus numbers.

Edited by Bevo&Pevo
  • Hook 'Em 1

Im in Travis Country off Southwest Parkway, and I’m assuming folks will get in their car and charge their phones. I’m going to be up a while. If I get a message I’ll respond and give directions with a quick call.  I may leave my address when I fall asleep. 

Edited by troph
  • Hook 'Em 1

Spent about 3 hours earlier driving around close neighborhoods at 15 mph to have heat. Found a cafe to have dinner. If you have a car make sure to fill up now if possible and use it to get warmed up from time to time. Wish I could help anyone but I haven't had power in 14 hours and it's feels the way game of thrones looks in here. Luckily bought several for logs a few days ago so have enough for a couple of nights 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Fuck You 2

I filled my car up yesterday and it literally ran all day today in the driveway.  Charging shit, providing warmth.  I wish I had something to offer, but I’m currently relying on the generosity of others.   I will say, if you are freezing in the house, a car gets warm pretty quickly, and a full tank will last a while at idle.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 3

posting here to see if anyone has any ideas.

my brother has been without power for 30 hours. he lives on south lamar by uchi

i have power at my house at Stassney and Manchaca. it's literally 4.5 miles away and I'm not sure how i can get him to my house. his rwd is not going to get him here

anyone have any thoughts on how?

• Hook 'Em 1

He should consider walking to Palmer to get warm:

https://www.kvue.com/mobile/video/news/local/austins-palmer-events-center-used-as-a-warming-center-amid-extreme-cold/269-dbce422d-2d45-4ea8-9953-35bc1171ec5a

double check to make sure it’s still open. Seems like it is. That’s not a long walk and safer than driving. 

our house is still available to anyone. Not sure how you get here though. 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, Gardner Barnes said:

I have a 4wd Jeep and can help people get loved ones to another location.  I will be avail this afternoon. 

I don’t want to post my phone number but immamac can DM it to anyone that truly needs a lift 

If you end up close to our place on southwest parkway you can drop folks off here. 

• Hook 'Em 3

18 minutes ago, lazytexasfan said:

i have power at my house at Stassney and Manchaca. it's literally 4.5 miles away and I'm not sure how i can get him to my house. his rwd is not going to get him here

It’s not that cold outside today. He could easily walk there. 

Edited by StruggleBus
Not trying to be a jerk. I went on a two mile walk yesterday. Just wear layers.
  • Hook 'Em 1

If you need to make a move make it today, more freezing precip and more ice coming tonight.  We all know roads are treacherous but there may be some melting today because of radiant heat and sunshine. And temps will be at their peak obviously.  Mid day is a lot better for your chances than when the sun goes down. 

Edited by troph
  • Hook 'Em 7

If you need to make a move make it today, more freezing precip and more ice coming tonight.  We all know roads are treacherous but there may be some melting today because of radiant heat and sunshine. And temps will be at their peak obviously.  Mid day is a lot better for your chances than when the sun goes down. 
You'd be surprised how much melts off of black asphalt in the sunlight.
  • Hook 'Em 1

Worried about my grandma. According to the energy map her hood has been without power since yesterday and we haven’t been able to get a hold of her. That’s not totally uncommon since her cell is usually off and she’s hard of hearing so she doesn’t always hear the phone anyway. Is it acceptable to call 911 or 311 to do a wellness check? Or are they so backed up with other stuff that they’re never going to get out to her? She lives across the street from Covington middle school

9 minutes ago, SquishMitten said:

Worried about my grandma. According to the energy map her hood has been without power since yesterday and we haven’t been able to get a hold of her. That’s not totally uncommon since her cell is usually off and she’s hard of hearing so she doesn’t always hear the phone anyway. Is it acceptable to call 911 or 311 to do a wellness check? Or are they so backed up with other stuff that they’re never going to get out to her? She lives across the street from Covington middle school

You should absolutely have someone perform a wellness check and/or arrange for her to be transported somewhere you know has power if you can.

• Hook 'Em 3

10 hours ago, conVINCEd said:

I filled my car up yesterday and it literally ran all day today in the driveway.  Charging shit, providing warmth.  I wish I had something to offer, but I’m currently relying on the generosity of others.   I will say, if you are freezing in the house, a car gets warm pretty quickly, and a full tank will last a while at idle.

Thx for this.  I grew up so poor, idling a car was never a good idea.  I was wondering if there was a limit as to how long one could safely idle a car.

• Hook 'Em 2

9 minutes ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

Thx for this.  I grew up so poor, idling a car was never a good idea.  I was wondering if there was a limit as to how long one could safely idle a car.

I have no idea of it was a good idea ftom a mechanical standpoint.  Even if it’s not, it was a one-off deal and the car is running fine.

1 minute ago, conVINCEd said:

I have no idea of it was a good idea ftom a mechanical standpoint.  Even if it’s not, it was a one-off deal and the car is running fine.

All good.  I was just going off memory of some junk-ass cars we had growing up that would often overheat when idled too long.  Hell, we had one that would overheat (in the summer) in traffic or a drive thru.  We'd have to put the heat on blast to keep the engine from blowing.

We have been without power for 36 hours or so. We took my mom to her younger brothers house, he lives about 15 miles away and has power. We have a gas cooktop and so far we have been able to maintain 50 degrees in the main part of the house. Moms house is about three minutes away, we chose to hold down the fort and let her know when powers back on. They’re talking about maybe tomorrow which will be 72 hours. But with a new storm coming in I’m not really counting on it.

1 hour ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

Spent many a night sleeping in a running car when it got too cold or rainy out when camping. You're not going to cause any damage as long as you have a proper amount of antifreeze. If you're not sure, it won't take long to figure it out by watching the engine temp.

I have been in contact with my folks, and they just got back from taking food up to someone holed up in a hotel in Belton.  If you need help in Bell County, I can make a call, and if they can, they would be happy to help.  

If I were there, I would be happy to help.  Know that I am sending good vibes your way.  

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, lazytexasfan said:

any update?

Ok serious comment/request. We have had no power since Sunday 4am. I had propane bottles stocked up and between a couple of Mr Heaters and firewood I've managed to keep the downstairs main area above 65 for the most part. Running a little low on firewood but I've got a big Stihl chainsaw and some large downed limbs I can cut up. My only issue I'm having is my kitchen sink faucet is frozen as of early this morning. I have a small space heater hooked up to a generator running under the sink cabinet. Anything else I can do?

Edited by immortal13

3 minutes ago, immortal13 said:

Ok serious comment/request. We have had no power since Sunday 4am. I had propane bottles stocked up and between a couple of Mr Heaters and firewood I've managed to keep the downstairs main area above 65 for the most part. Running a little low on firewood but I've got a bit Stihl chainsaw and some big limbs I can cut up. My only issue I'm having is my kitchen sink faucet is frozen as of early this morning. I have a small space heater hooked up to a generator running under the sink cabinet. Anything else I can do?

If there are other lines/faucets nearby then run them to see if you can get the water moving to melt the blockage.

Edited by TexasEd

any update?
nothing yet. thanks for checking back.

he sat in his car for a while in the apartment complex parking garage to get warm and charge his phone

he's waiting until ~2pm for roads to hopefully improve a bit more and then will get a lyft or some ride to get to my place (ideally) or will walk over to palmer if that's not possible. says there are plenty of people driving up lamar and are able to get by