[SERIOUS] The I need help, my house is freezing thread

immamac

15 minutes ago, immamac said:

Made it to downtown austin and calling it. We wouldn't have been stuck by like 8 or 9 minutes tops. Some crazy shit. From round rock through downtown the roads were damn near dry. 

Glad you made it back.  Is this where I make fun of you for going to Mexico for a vacation in the middle of a pandemic?  

• Haha 1

On 2/16/2021 at 3:27 PM, troph said:

does he have a place, is his problem solved?  does he need a place?

Thanks! He can’t get out of his house; steep short driveway, icy, cars in the street behind his driveway. He has power and water and was able to borrow a space heater from a neighbor, so OK sort of for now. Just waiting for repair guys to be able to travel. Thanks! 

On 2/16/2021 at 8:01 PM, luke duke said:

He should get on Nextdoor or the neighborhood Facebook page and put out a call for help. There’s probably a handy guy nearby that would be willing to take a look.

He was able to borrow a space heater from a neighbor. The house is brand new, just moved in 2 weeks ago. So he has to have the vendor do the work or else the warranty is voided. Right now, they are not letting their repair guys out. Thanks! 

• Hook 'Em 1

8 hours ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

Glad you made it back.  Is this where I make fun of you for going to Mexico for a vacation in the middle of a pandemic?  

Why? Mexico takes this shit way more seriously than we do. Let me know the next time you have to wear a mask, wash your hands, your shoes and get a temperature check before you can walk into a 7-11 in Texas.

I've made 4 trips to Mexico since last March (5000+ miles of driving in Baja/Central) and I'm going again in 2 weeks. It's really not a big deal.

• Hook 'Em 3

Any of you on propane?  We have a tank in our front yard that's pushing 10%.  Direct Propane not only failed their delivery last week, they have pretty much gone AWOL in terms of updates since then.  I had another vendor tell me there is plenty of supply for now, they just need trucks to get to depots and then to residents, which seems like tomorrow/Saturday time frame for delivery.  Anyone heard something more concrete?

If I run out, I run out, it's getting warmer and it's not gonna kill me, but the lack of communication is frustrating.

20 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Any of you on propane?  We have a tank in our front yard that's pushing 10%.  Direct Propane not only failed their delivery last week, they have pretty much gone AWOL in terms of updates since then.  I had another vendor tell me there is plenty of supply for now, they just need trucks to get to depots and then to residents, which seems like tomorrow/Saturday time frame for delivery.  Anyone heard something more concrete?

If I run out, I run out, it's getting warmer and it's not gonna kill me, but the lack of communication is frustrating.

Have you tried Propane Taxi?

• Hook 'Em 1

24 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

I'm not endorsing the practice but I know from firsthand experience that you can disconnect the regulator from the tank and screw it directly into a bbq bottle or one of the old style 100lb bottles. You are probably close enough to the finish line not to try it but If I were at the start of this adventure with an empty tank I would do it. The LP provider will tell you that you have to pay for a system inspection if they find out but in a life or death situation, fuck em.

6 hours ago, rage-a-holic said:

Why? Mexico takes this shit way more seriously than we do. Let me know the next time you have to wear a mask, wash your hands, your shoes and get a temperature check before you can walk into a 7-11 in Texas.

I've made 4 trips to Mexico since last March (5000+ miles of driving in Baja/Central) and I'm going again in 2 weeks. It's really not a big deal.

I am in NYC, so we basically do all of that except for the shoes thing.

42 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Image result for not sure if serious

Not sure why not sure if serious.  Do they not have that where you are?  They seem pretty reliable and have really quick turn times normally.  A little spendy maybe, but better than freezing.  And yes, they do large tanks (at least where I live).  Might have to set up a commercial account or some shit and not sure how long that would all take, but worth checking into.  I grew up on a ranch that mostly ran off propane, so I know a thing or two about it.

Anyway, just trying to help.  Besides, this is the serious thread, how could I not be serious?

6 minutes ago, Landomatic said:

Not sure why not sure if serious.  Do they not have that where you are?  They seem pretty reliable and have really quick turn times normally.  A little spendy maybe, but better than freezing.  And yes, they do large tanks (at least where I live).  Might have to set up a commercial account or some shit and not sure how long that would all take, but worth checking into.  I grew up on a ranch that mostly ran off propane, so I know a thing or two about it.

Anyway, just trying to help.  Besides, this is the serious thread, how could I not be serious?

I thought you were suggesting grill tanks.  (I realize that others have said those could be plumbed in, but I'm not doing that.)

I just want a refill, not a "large" tank.  Thanks for the suggestion, sorry for the snark.

• Like 1

On 2/17/2021 at 10:08 PM, RGBIII said:

Not sure how this isn’t in the national news, let alone the texas news but there is a giant fucking wreck on 35 south in Jarrell. @immamac is currently stuck in it. The shit isn’t moving, he’s been stuck for damn near 5 hours and now the roads are iced over completely. Things won’t un freeze there till Friday at this point. This definitely needs attention, there’s a TON of people completely stuck with no way out. Try to get as many eyes on this as possible. There are a lot of people in dire need right now especially as people run out of gas..

Anything for podcast content! Following the barstool model

We lost power for the 36 coldest hours of the shit which sucked pretty bad. Temps got down to 48 in the house. Found out from a friend that worked for the builder that my street was one of the first ones built with pex plumbing instead of copper. Didn't know shit about pex plumbing until this week but I'm a big fan now

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

Cross Posting in the 3 weather/damage related threads:

I got a bunch of water (96 16 oz. bottles) from a guy who's going around today donating them to people.  Was going to give it to my neighbors, they're on a MUD that lost water this a.m. due to a main rupture, but they got it back this afternoon.  I clearly don't want most of it (save maybe 5-6 bottles for wife/me).

I'd like to start with the Surlys here and say if anyone needs some, let me know and I can meet or deliver some to you.  If not I'll give it to Bee Cave to use, all of those guys are on another water system and they're like Austin and much of Texas - no water(?).

I can get it out to you tomorrow, all the roads are now dry.  Travel not an issue more or less.  Thanks.

• Hook 'Em 3

18 minutes ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

Did @idigTexas ever check back in regarding the injured arm? Hope that turned out okay.

Thanks for asking.  There still aren't any reasonable options for getting it examined, so I continue to wing it, so to speak.  Upon closer inspection there is actually some swelling at the elbow, but it isn't horrible.  Range of motion is improving daily, and I am able to put on a beanie with two hands now if I bend down far enough...I could not do that until a short time ago  (try putting on a beanie with one hand).  I can hold light objects, but that's about it.  I can also type with both hands again so that is significant progress. 

I don't trust it to drive yet, but maybe in another day or two.  It's my non-shifting arm, so that helps.  I have not been able to rest it too much, as collecting snow melt for toilet flushing was the priority of the day.  I am thinking it is just a bad sprain, but will still get it checked when it's doable. 

Still have drinking water to get me through the weekend.  Hoping by then, delivery will be an option, or that the water is back on in my neighborhood so I can steal from neighbors who didn't experience broken pipes. 

tldr:  I'll live, but still owie. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, phdhorn said:

Cross Posting in the 3 weather/damage related threads:

I got a bunch of water (96 16 oz. bottles) from a guy who's going around today donating them to people.  Was going to give it to my neighbors, they're on a MUD that lost water this a.m. due to a main rupture, but they got it back this afternoon.  I clearly don't want most of it (save maybe 5-6 bottles for wife/me).

I'd like to start with the Surlys here and say if anyone needs some, let me know and I can meet or deliver some to you.  If not I'll give it to Bee Cave to use, all of those guys are on another water system and they're like Austin and much of Texas - no water(?).

I can get it out to you tomorrow, all the roads are now dry.  Travel not an issue more or less.  Thanks.

Surly is so awesome.  If delivering to South Austin is doable, I'd be very welcome of some bottles.  It's just me, and I still have enough for a couple of days, so if there is greater need, take care of others first. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, idigTexas said:

Surly is so awesome.  If delivering to South Austin is doable, I'd be very welcome of some bottles.  It's just me, and I still have enough for a couple of days, so if there is greater need, take care of others first. 

You got it.  We can PM and I can bring some to you Saturday, if that works.  I'm in Bee Cave (no, really?) so it's only 20-25 mins. I'll PM you tomorrow and try for something mid-morning or so? 

• Like 4

Cross Post in 3 weather threads

Update:  
Gave 1 case away to neighbors who lost water.  Don't much like the husband (lol) but in these times e'rrybody needs help.
With the case I'm giving to our Surly friend tomorrow that leaves me with 2 cases (48 bottles).

Thx.

• Hook 'Em 2

I am working on trying to find help for an elderly women in Houston(west side south of 10 between hwy 6 and beltway 8). Specifically a plumber. She is currently living alone and going through chemo. Very weak and having a hard time getting out of bed. She has no family in the area and Is a friend of my MIL. She needs a plumber and maybe help cleaning up her kitchen from a caved in roof. Any plumbers on here than can maybe help? She does have heat. I don’t now any other details on what she needs at this point.

• Hook 'Em 3

On 2/18/2021 at 8:41 PM, troph said:

Anyone want to sign up to help, I did. Don’t know what else to do but try and help.  Form is for 4x4 owners who can help deliver water.  It’s an on call sort of thing. 

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSe-6aUGTD_VmU1YV67eXqFQKJVDbnJgZetTxOLlrO_pwlXQ0g/viewform

If there’s anything like this for SA, please let me know. I’d like to help.

• Hook 'Em 1

I am working on trying to find help for an elderly women in Houston(west side south of 10 between hwy 6 and beltway 8). Specifically a plumber. She is currently living alone and going through chemo. Very weak and having a hard time getting out of bed. She has no family in the area and Is a friend of my MIL. She needs a plumber and maybe help cleaning up her kitchen from a caved in roof. Any plumbers on here than can maybe help? She does have heat. I don’t now any other details on what she needs at this point.

She was able to get a plumber to fix the leaks and now has water.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1