ERCOT, PUC, and deregulation got us here

cactusflinthead

2 hours ago, pyrohornIII said:

I'm going to predict we lose more Texans to heat related deaths this summer than we lost to the freeze.   And our Texan voters won't care.  

The GOP platform is basically a lot of you people who voted for us are going to die but fuck Mexicans 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

I agree:

So asking Texans to wear a mask to the grocery store during a global pandemic of an airborne virus in order to protect human lives was a bridge too far...but it's okay to ask us to live like the Amish for a weekend during a heat wave to avoid making Republicans fix the grid?”

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2
  • Rage+1 5

9 hours ago, Satchel said:

From the article:

Abbott has seized on a different strategy for shoring up the grid: cryptocurrency. After China banned the mining of cryptocurrency, last June, a number of crypto-mining companies established or expanded their presence in Texas. The state’s deregulated electricity market means that Texans pay some of the lowest prices for electricity in the country (at least, when extreme weather doesn’t distort the market), making the state a natural choice for cryptocurrency mining, which essentially converts electricity to money. Crypto-mining facilities in Texas already consume enough electricity to power several cities. By 2023, it is estimated that ercot will account for twenty per cent of the global bitcoin network, and, by the end of that year, the state’s crypto-mining facilities’ power demands may have increased by as much as fivefold. This would seem to be a questionable move for a place with a demonstrably fragile grid. But Abbott has aggressively courted crypto companies, arguing that the energy-hungry industry will make Texas’s grid more resilient by encouraging energy providers to build more capacity. That capacity hasn’t yet arrived. In the meantime, some crypto-mining companies have arrangements with ercot that allow them to benefit from the fragility of the system: when heightened demand sends electricity prices soaring, the miners agree to shut off their servers and get paid for funnelling power back into the grid. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Rage+1 5

Like I’ve said around here before on numerous threads, it doesn’t matter what the question is, or what the policy conundrum is, the answer/solution is the same:

CRYPTO!!!!!

Zero effort to implement mechanisms that have been proven to work for decades. Zero effort to take measures that will have manageable costs, but little glamour. Nope….no matter what the issue, CRYPTO!!! is the answer.

Stupidest f’n timeline.
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

Thanks you, Governor Greg Abbott.  Thanks to your incompetence and refusal to fix the Texas grid, our power traders will most likely be able to make a fortune trading in the Texas power markets due to high price volatility.  My bonus thanks you.

Use the bonus to sponsor abortions.   Or visit Japan during that Kyoto festival

• Hook 'Em 1

You know, they say that by Christmas of 1914 it was pretty obvious neither side would ever get the upper hand and it would be slow, grinding stalemate. Every wonder how it felt to watch a trainwreck about to happen in real time?  About like this.  

Just got back from the domain (dammit) and half the stores have their front doors open while blasting the AC. Residents shouldn’t be the ones tasked with conserving power when these fucksticks are gobbling it up. 

Amazes me that the developers of these outdoor malls think they can take what only works well in California and plop it rest of the country with no changes to the architecture or design.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

Just got back from the domain (dammit) and half the stores have their front doors open while blasting the AC. Residents shouldn’t be the ones tasked with conserving power when these fucksticks are gobbling it up. 

I guarantee you that it's about 65 degrees in my office right now.

Damn, gurl.  That's how your roll. 😛

Also, what a bitch move to bus "migrants."   

You know when the next hurricane ravages the Texas coast that douche will welcome Biden's visit, just like DeSantis did after the Surfside Tower collapse.

Edited by Bullneck
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

He's been the Texas Attorney General or Governor for 20 years now.  Will it take him another 20 years to solve the immigration crisis?

Hot Wheels has spent decades trying to drain the swamp of Texas with almost no ability to direct the policies due to partisanship headwinds and bias against the GOP platform in the Lone Star state.

That's what his supporters believe, right?

3 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:

environmental responsibility and conservation of water/energy and pollution is the responsibility of the people people,  corporate people are never held to such a standard.   

How many times have water shortages been enforced only on residents when commercial use just sprinkles and runs their water fountains.  When there were energy shortages 2 years ago, the downtowns of Texas cities were well lit and empty while the residents went without power. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 2