Animal Kingdom

TwiceHorn

This show is based on the movie from 2010 out of Australia, which I thought I had seen, but I guess I haven't because it has Mendelsohn, Pearce, and Edgerton, which makes it must-watch and had to leave an impression.  I think I was thinking of Romper Stomper.

Anyway, season 2 is on TNT, which I was reminded of while watching The Alienist.  Season 1 is on Amazon Prime.  Ellen Barkin and Shawn Hatosy and mostly no one else you have heard of.  She's the creepy Machievellian Mom of a family of surf brother criminals.  Hatosy is her psycho eldest.  Pretty damn good.  8.1 on IMDB.

Anyone else paying attention?

Edited by TwiceHorn

I've watched both seasons, and I'm excited for the third. Thankfully, it looks like Scott Speedman's character (Baz) is going to be phased out sometime during this season. The direction his character was going was painful to watch, and he was a drag on the entire show.

This show is cheesy as hell.  I watch it sort of as a guilty pleasure show.  It mostly caters to the monster energy drink crowd.   I can't believe it's at an 8.1 on IMDB.  I'd give it maybe a 6 and that's being generous.

1 hour ago, futureman said:

watch. the. movie. 

I figured out why I have no recollection of it.  I located it without subtitles and the dialog is almost incomprehensible and I seem to recall that from the first time I tried to watch it (before I turned on CC for everything courtesy of GoT).  I'll have to add a subtitle file to it.

And I have only seen the first season, which wasn't all that cheesy except the ending base heist and even it was more "cleverish" than Point Break-ish, but I can see it going kind of downhill on the believability scale.  I am most assuredly not the "monster"/affliction/mma/skate crowd and enjoyed the "who the fuck are these people" aspects of the first season.

Edited by TwiceHorn

• 2 months later...

I thought I'd bump this since I've caught up on season 3. This season has been pretty good and thankfully hasn't been cheesy. My only complaints are that it's been a bit slow to develop and that it's on TNT in the first place. There's still 7 episodes left and is slowly but surely developing, so it should only get better from here on out.