4WD/AWD/RWD

jimmyjazz

911 4S is bad ass but I haven’t driven in the snow. Cool video of snow action but main takeaway is the snow tires help a lot

I was in Dallas for the Thanksgiving snowstorm in 1993, I think it was? Very vividly remember watching a Carrera 4 just slide off the side of an on ramp, all 4 tires spinning away. I'm guessing he had summer tires on.

15 minutes ago, HiggyBaby said:

Our Mercedes 4Matic has been kickass this past week, even with shitty half-worn all-seasons. It’s great in rain etc too.

But isn’t “high mode” in most modern 4x4’s the same thing as AWD?

Not really, no.  There's a huge variety of 4WD and AWD systems, but by and large, AWD delivers power to all four wheels selectively and variably up to 50/50 front/rear depending on sensed slip or other conditions, whereas 4WD is pretty much 50/50 all the time.

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Hook 'Em 1

My understanding is that when you have a 4auto option on a truck, that is a regular 4wd that you’ve enabled your vehicle computer to decide when to engage/disengage. And if you are going above 20 mph or so then it can’t change.  If you are going 20 mph or less because of road conditions then regular 4wd is likely the answer, so 4auto is rarely the correct selection. 

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

My understanding is that when you have a 4auto option on a truck, that is a regular 4wd that you’ve enabled your vehicle computer to decide when to engage/disengage. And if you are going above 20 mph or so then it can’t change.  If you are going 20 mph or less because of road conditions then regular 4wd is likely the answer, so 4auto is rarely the correct selection. 

All the various systems are hard to keep up with and which is better or worse and when.  Fluid couplings, differentials, LSDs, limited slip via braking, blah blah blah.

I have a YJ that is pretty old school 4WD.  It rocks in this shit, but gets graunchy really easily with the short wheelbase if things aren't sufficiently slick.

3 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

All the various systems are hard to keep up with and which is better or worse and when.  Fluid couplings, differentials, LSDs, limited slip via braking, blah blah blah.

I have a YJ that is pretty old school 4WD.  It rocks in this shit, but gets graunchy really easily with the short wheelbase if things aren't sufficiently slick.

Yeah our f150 has the auto option, but I can’t lock the rear. It’s limited slip with traction control that will apply braking to the slipping wheel as it sees fit.  Doesn’t seem like the best setup. 

Not really, no.  There's a huge variety of 4WD and AWD systems, but by and large, AWD delivers power to all four wheels selectively and variably up to 50/50 front/rear depending on sensed slip or other conditions, whereas 4WD is pretty much 50/50 all the time.

Correct. If you turn AWD on dry pavement, you can’t tell all 4 wheels have power. Feels like 2wd.

Turning 4wd on dry pavement is incredibly jerky and next to impossible

My GF drives a Cherokee Trailhawk. She is literally the LAST person on earth that needs or understands what 4WD means. She got it because it looked cool and the seats were more comfortable. She's had it for 4 years and it has been in 4WD drive only a handful of times, mostly just me fucking around in sport mode. She put it in "Rock Mode" once when she was driving down a typical caliche road and was very impressed with herself.

With all of that said, we used the snow mode over this past event and it kicked ass. Especially dirving around in Brisket's neighborhood which looked like a more hilly/darker version of siberia where the ice and snow never seemed to melt.

My mom let us borrow her AWD subaru forrester to drive from Tyler to Houston last week when Tyler through Buffalo had about 2 inches of ice on the roads the whole way.  She was about to sell it when shit hit the fan in Texas last week.  She used it as a 3rd car and put it up in Colorado at her condo.

I didn't lose traction once on the drive.  Subaru AWD is a beast of an ice driving car.  Roomy too.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

On 2/21/2021 at 10:51 PM, Pato del Muerto said:

Yeah our f150 has the auto option, but I can’t lock the rear. It’s limited slip with traction control that will apply braking to the slipping wheel as it sees fit.  Doesn’t seem like the best setup. 

My F150 does not have the auto option but does have an electronic locking rear diff.  The snow/ice rated load range E tires I have on it were money last week for delivering fire wood.