Mars 2020 Perseverance Rover

Texas Jeff

• 2 weeks later...

How much bigger do the rotors have to be to generate lift in the Martian atmosphere? I remember reading that one of the few things that wasn't really accurate in The Martian was that a dust storm couldn't really generate enough power to do much damage, but that the author needed something to use to move the plot forward.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/22/2021 at 9:27 PM, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

How much bigger do the rotors have to be to generate lift in the Martian atmosphere? I remember reading that one of the few things that wasn't really accurate in The Martian was that a dust storm couldn't really generate enough power to do much damage, but that the author needed something to use to move the plot forward.

They compensated with extremely high RPM. 

On 3/22/2021 at 9:27 PM, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

Here's some video of the helicopter being developed.  Hard to tell how big the rotors are, but you get the general idea.  At one point they tell it to climb to 1 meter and from that it looks like the rotors are maybe a meter across.

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, Texas Jeff said:

Here's some video of the helicopter being developed.  Hard to tell how big the rotors are, but you get the general idea.  At one point they tell it to climb to 1 meter and from that it looks like the rotors are maybe a meter across.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ingenuity_(helicopter)

According to this, the rotors are 1.2 meters in diameter (good eye). 

• Hook 'Em 1

NASA has delayed the first flight of its Mars helicopter Ingenuity after the vehicle's last test ended earlier than planned.

Ingenuity will now remain planted firmly on the Red Planet's surface until at least Wednesday (April 14), according to a statement from the agency. The delay comes in response to an anomaly during a test that was meant to see the helicopters blades reach flight-like speeds of 2,400 revolutions per minute.

"During a high-speed spin test of the rotors on Friday, the command sequence controlling the test ended early due to a 'watchdog' timer expiration," NASA officials wrote in a statement today (April 10). "This occurred as it was trying to transition the flight computer from 'Pre-Flight' to 'Flight' mode. The helicopter is safe and healthy and communicated its full telemetry set to Earth."

https://www.space.com/nasa-mars-helicopter-flight-delay

960x0.gif?fit=scale

10 hours ago, Doc Reeves said:

Well, that's something, isn't it?  That opens up the entire possibility of landing astronauts without needing to bring all their oxygen from Earth.  And, ultimately, it raises the possibility of terraforming Mars.

I wonder if we're talking about using this technology to combat global warming here on Earth.  I don't think I've heard much about that.

• Like 1

Ingenuity took a piece of the Wright Flyer and flew it over Mars. Twice, so far.  Incredible.

nbcnews

The success came just three days after Ingenuity made the first powered flight by an aircraft on another planet. The helicopter carried a bit of wing fabric from the Wright Flyer that made similar history at Kitty Hawk, North Carolina, in 1903.

On 4/22/2021 at 5:29 PM, Ghost of LL said:

Well, that's something, isn't it?  That opens up the entire possibility of landing astronauts without needing to bring all their oxygen from Earth.  And, ultimately, it raises the possibility of terraforming Mars.

I wonder if we're talking about using this technology to combat global warming here on Earth.  I don't think I've heard much about that.

Maybe the first step to begin terraforming the planet for human habitation.