Mars 2020 Perseverance Rover

Texas Jeff

Earth again invades Mars today, good luck JPL and NASA:

https://mars.nasa.gov/mars2020/

Landing is around 2:55 central time this afternoon.  Here's a preview of the landing:

This rover has a drone helicopter attached.  They are going to attempt powered autonomous flight on Mars.  JPL is no place for the meek.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, SquishMitten said:

That preview looks badass. I know we can’t watch live, but are there going to be videos released? Do they have cameras on for the landing or are they all tucked inside for safety?

Best you can do today is watch the control room sweat it out.

Here's Curiosity's view of landing on Mars, from 2012.  I think the thing dropping at the beginning is the heat shield.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Constant said:

How do we get it back?

They mentioned something about a future vehicle that will retrieve the samples, launch from Mars to be collected by an ESA vehicle in orbit. I don't recall if that particular spacecraft is coming back to earth, or if it relays the samples to another ship.

Either way, fascinating stuff. The Martian book/movie (*** Matt Damon!!! ***) actually did a decent job explaining the science about Martian travel, so watch the movie for entertainment and some learning.