What are y’all buying for the next grid failure?

Homercles

• 2 weeks later...

I always recommend inverter generators, they're quieter and produce a cleaner signal for use when operating  your electronics.  Honda and Yamaha are still the best, but several off-brands are making strides and getting decent reviews.  I have a 3500W Champion that I use for RV camping/tailgating, and it has served well for the 4-5 years I've owned it.

13 hours ago, UTexasFight said:

Tax free weekend next weekend

what’s the consensus on best bang for the buck on generator?

not whole home here

Some lights, fridge/freezer.

Likely looking for dual fuel 

have the Honda 2000i and converted to run LP as well as gas.  No complaints.   bought it 4 years ago and it's started every time i needed it to and mostly sits in the garage between oil checks/test starts.

Sam's Warehouse has this for $350 (cheapest I saw on Amazon was $450): https://www.championpowerequipment.com/product/100307-3500-watt-dual-fuel-generator/

Got a Justrite 5 gal. for $75 on Amazon: https://www.uline.com/Product/Detail/H-1851R/Safety-Storage/Gas-Can-Type-II-Red-5-Gallon?pricode=WA9292&gadtype=pla&id=H-1851R&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIy96HtveK8AIVKGxvBB00jA6jEAQYBCABEgK4s_D_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

For $425, or the price of a hotel room during a demand spike due to a power outage, you will be decently comfortable to power some space heaters if the next outage is 24 hours.

51 minutes ago, DonkeyCigars said:

Sam's Warehouse has this for $350 (cheapest I saw on Amazon was $450): https://www.championpowerequipment.com/product/100307-3500-watt-dual-fuel-generator/

Got a Justrite 5 gal. for $75 on Amazon: https://www.uline.com/Product/Detail/H-1851R/Safety-Storage/Gas-Can-Type-II-Red-5-Gallon?pricode=WA9292&gadtype=pla&id=H-1851R&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIy96HtveK8AIVKGxvBB00jA6jEAQYBCABEgK4s_D_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

For $425, or the price of a hotel room during a demand spike due to a power outage, you will be decently comfortable to power some space heaters if the next outage is 24 hours.

FWIW, if you're planning for any emergency usage I wouldn't pick gasoline as my primary fuel since it degrades pretty rapidly over time even with fuel stabilizer. I'd keep some propane cylinders or get an adapter for your big tank (if you've got one on your property) for emergency usage

• Hook 'Em 1

Am looking to power chest freezer, refrig., heater, a lamp, and a cell phone.  Maybe give the freezer a break and power the oven. Freezers can do fine for 8+ hours w/no power if not opened.   I understand the chest freezer requires 850 watts to start.  

Is this sufficient? Don't want to buy too much generator.

https://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200788692_200788692

A standard space heater pulls down 1500W so that alone consumes pretty much all of the 1800W steady-state running capacity of that genny.

I'd also worry about the startup power requirements for the chest freezer and the refrigerator conflicting with one another if they both kick on near the same time.

I don't think there's any such thing as "too much generator" especially if you're not trying to transport it a lot.

thanks, that explains the popularity of Mr. Heater, powered by propane.  Buying a Mr. Heater with propane that never goes bad(12 years I guess) puts the above generator in good shape.  I wouldn't want to start up a frig. and a freezer at the same time.  I would think I would be smart enough to start them 30 minutes apart.  I think that is far enough apart. 

Buying a Mr. Heater this summer sounds like a good idea.  

Just now, orangecat92 said:

thanks, that explains the popularity of Mr. Heater, powered by propane.  Buying a Mr. Heater with propane that never goes bad(12 years I guess) puts the above generator in good shape.  I wouldn't want to start up a frig. and a freezer at the same time.  I would think I would be smart enough to start them 30 minutes apart.  I think that is far enough apart. 

running a Mr. Heater (or any combustion-based heater) indoors is extremely risky for carbon monoxide poisoning. Mr. Heater (as a specific product) does have low oxygen sensors built into it which will help to mitigate the risk of CO formation, but IMO it's not worth taking risks with CO poisoning

6 minutes ago, orangecat92 said:

Propane heaters can certainly unload your electrical if that's the desired outcome.  If running indoors be sure to have appropriate CO detectors.

On the refrigerator and freezer, it's not a question of when you choose to turn them on of off.  The compressor naturally cycles on and off through the day.  If those happened at the same time for both fridge and freezer, you could overcurrent your genset.

But, you could certainly just run one or the other, at a time, if you mostly keep the doors closed.

Edited by utee94

Am looking to power chest freezer, refrig., heater, a lamp, and a cell phone.  Maybe give the freezer a break and power the oven. Freezers can do fine for 8+ hours w/no power if not opened.   I understand the chest freezer requires 850 watts to start.  
Is this sufficient? Don't want to buy too much generator.
https://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200788692_200788692

I feel like the freezer needs more to start the compressor. Get a solar charger for your phone.

Alternate between running the freezer and fridge.

Solar charger for phone sounds like a winner.  I was also looking at generators and found a comment, similar to comments here, about don't use gas infused with ethanol.  It seems the only sure way to have a reliable generator is to get one powered by propane, which evidently can sit for 12 years.  So, the next steps are to:

1. Find a space heater that only uses 800 watts or so. 

2. Find inverter generator powered by propane. 

3. find solar charger for phone.  

If I can accomplish number 1, I think I can look for a generator that uses about 3000 watts, maybe even 2500.  Don't know anything about propane.  It would seem to me that the smaller the engine the better the economy, wrt how long the propane lasts.  

2 hours ago, orangecat92 said:

Don't know anything about propane.  It would seem to me that the smaller the engine the better the economy, wrt how long the propane lasts.  

Looking this up on a message board I don’t think a 20# tank lasts all that long, 4-8 hour depending on load for a Honda Eu2000i which is a pretty efficient generator. Prob a lot less on 3000 watt generator.  I like the shelf life of propane but if you are just going to stock pile 20# tanks preparing for a few days power outage, that’s going to take up some space (just like gas cans of course). Makes sense if you have a big tank in the yard of course.  
Thats why NG is a great option if you have it at the house. Essentially unlimited unless gas lines go out. 

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

After Ida I have reached the conclusion that two gens in the 3K-4K watt range that can be combined with a parallel cord is the way to go. My large generator failed, and I luckily had a small 1000 watt tailgate inverter generator that I was able to get running after hours of carb work, and it saved my ass. Or at least my food. It took 2 days, but I finally got the big one running well enough for window AC deliciousness.

Get two. If one of the two goes down you might not be able to run what you want, but you can at least run the fridge/freezer and a window unit just fine. IOW, keep Civilization in your life.

I’d suggest two 4750 watt dual fuel inverters that can parallel. With a soft starter for the central AC compressor you can run it on the two. If one goes down - or fuel becomes an issue - you still have power for necessities with the other. I’m never going to depend on just one generator from now on. If I had a Generac whole house unit, I’d still have some smaller dual fuel unit as a back up. If natural gas gets cut off, you need to have propane or gasoline for the small unit.

I’m getting sick of hurricanes, but I think power outages are going to be a part of my life as long as I’m here.

I know some of the ERCOT Directors, I'm even closely related to one of them.  I've decided that I should buy something for the next grid failure.   

It's not going to be a generator.  It's going to be one of those go-pro head-mounted cameras that can film me skull-fucking their dead wife's faces.  

If you didn't like last February..........you're really not gonna like what happens next. 

17 hours ago, RexWilson said:

I bought a 6500w dual fuel generator. Is it possible to have someone install an exterior connection using our home's natural gas line?

Just have your husband run down to Fischers or HD and pick up some pipe and fittings. Be nice and bring him a beer or two while he’s working. 

• Hook 'Em 1

I had two 5 gallon Scepter water jugs for camping.  Added 2 more just to have in the garage.  Yesterday I bought half a chord of firewood and told the kids I don't want to hear any bitchassedness about heaters.   That and an extra 20 propane tank for the grill will do it for our house.  

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, UT_OB1 said:

Just have your husband run down to Fischers or HD and pick up some pipe and fittings. Be nice and bring him a beer or two while he’s working. 

Come on. I don’t mind handling plumbing or electrical work but very few home owners have experience in creating a new natural gas connection. Weak take.

Come on. I don’t mind handling plumbing or electrical work but very few home owners have experience in creating a new natural gas connection. Weak take.

I mean, it’s not much harder than any other plumbing and I’d say it’s safer for the lay person to mess with than electricity.

1 hour ago, Jkwellborn said:

I mean, it’s not much harder than any other plumbing and I’d say it’s safer for the lay person to mess with than electricity.

2 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

It was a pretty typical Surly response, and…

1 hour ago, Jkwellborn said:

This. If you can hook up your propane tank outside without killing yourself you can probably screw some pipe together. 

5 hours ago, Your Mom said:

I had two 5 gallon Scepter water jugs for camping.  Added 2 more just to have in the garage.  Yesterday I bought half a chord of firewood and told the kids I don't want to hear any bitchassedness about heaters.   That and an extra 20 propane tank for the grill will do it for our house.  

I like how you think.

Added water jugs so capacity is now 200 gallons. A few more layers of thermals and two heavier duty sleeping bags. They zip together so can get in them with the girlfriend. I always have extra charcoal around for the grills and keep at least 14 days of emergency food in the pantry. Biggest issue I ran into last winter was not enough beer. If I see something coming I will stock up early. 

Due to my job I have a good collection of portable batteries, emergency radios, and field gear. 

So @Lobo, gonna tell us what is coming next? 

I like how you think.
Added water jugs so capacity is now 200 gallons. A few more layers of thermals and two heavier duty sleeping bags. They zip together so can get in them with the girlfriend. I always have extra charcoal around for the grills and keep at least 14 days of emergency food in the pantry. Biggest issue I ran into last winter was not enough beer. If I see something coming I will stock up early. 
Due to my job I have a good collection of portable batteries, emergency radios, and field gear. 
So [mention=2691]Lobo[/mention], gonna tell us what is coming next? 

What kind of radios?

1 hour ago, atomheartbevo said:

Family member did a survey of sorts on FB a week or so ago, asking who had went out and bought generators, etc.

By the way, y'all should do a similar survey of your family/friends so you know who to stalk/rob if shit goes south.  Lobo's stalking ERCOT board members and that's a long game. I'm playing a short game and will be stalking people who can keep me warm right away.

• Hook 'Em 1