What are y’all buying for the next grid failure?

Homercles

8 minutes ago, Grimas said:

Westinghouse WGen9500DF Dual Fuel Portable Generator 9500 Rated and 12500 Peak Watts On Amazon (right now available for $1000)

I can easily run 2 A/C compressors, 2 fridges, all electronics and pool pump (need to se the pump to run at a constant low speed and not the initial high speed ramp-up it normally does).  All house lights LED so low load.  I wouldn't try running electric dryer or electric oven without fear of tripping a breaker but who is doing laundry or baking during an outage (as cooktop) and if needed, I would just turn off one A/C unit on the panel if I needed to use either...

thanks. yeah on the oven, I will probably go gas(it is already plumbed), you can at least boil water if needed if the double whammy of power/water goes out again.  that said the microwave would get the most use during an extended outage anyway. but the main thing is a/c and fridge.

on the pool pump, I'll need to figure out how to set on low speed without getting the surge from the initial priming.

44 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

thanks. yeah on the oven, I will probably go gas(it is already plumbed), you can at least boil water if needed if the double whammy of power/water goes out again.  that said the microwave would get the most use during an extended outage anyway. but the main thing is a/c and fridge.

on the pool pump, I'll need to figure out how to set on low speed without getting the surge from the initial priming.

Typo above, my stovetop is gas, the oven is electric.

On my VSP, you basically have to override the timer settings and go into a low circulation/low RPM mode just to keep the water moving (and the chlorine working). Or play with the fusebox to not let A/C kick on until after the initial VSP prime is done...

• Hook 'Em 1