What are y’all buying for the next grid failure?

Homercles

17 minutes ago, Captainant said:

A running engine inside a garage, even with the door open, is a serious carbon monoxide hazard

6 minutes ago, Gatorubet said:

yeah. the garage is a bad idea.

Well shit. I guess I'll have to get a gen-tent. Trying to keep it covered with a tarp was too much work.

The Harbor Freight Predator series generators are a decent alternative to the Hondas. I have several friends who bought this one and swear by them.
https://www.harborfreight.com/3500-watt-super-quiet-inverter-generator-63584.html
They have only had them for 2-3 years so long term reliability is unknown but it is worth a look.

I know a few guys with those predators. I’ve thought about buying one, but I’ve got a 5500 w that I’ve had a while and don’t need one. They’re pretty quiet too.

Like a dead power outlet that I can hook up to the generator, so I don't have to run an extension cord from the garage. It's just an idea in my head right now. Something like this
3.jpg
So I can keep the generator in the garage.

If you have two male plugs on your generator cord, you can just plug it into a dryer plug.
  • Hook 'Em 1

After Hurricane Ike, we got our house set up so we could run a gas generator into the main power line.  We didn't have to use it this winter freeze, but if we had, it wouldn't have been sufficient to power everything in the house.  So for anyone in the same situation, I can recommend a solar oven for cooking when using the conventional oven isn't an option.  Solar oven also works for trips to the beach or camping.

https://www.sunoven.com/

4 hours ago, GringoSalado said:

My understanding is that at idle damage can occur because engine is not up to temp and oil pressure is too low, and I would think any modern car's ECU manages those things sufficiently.

Oil viscosity is inversely proportional to temperature, so an engine that isn't up to temp has relatively high oil pressure. Like 85 to 100+ psig. As the engine warms up, oil pressure steadily drops. Your oil pressure will be lowest after extended run time in summer, hopefully no lower than ~15 psi at 750 rpm. 

2 hours ago, Jkwellborn said:

I know a few guys with those predators. I’ve thought about buying one, but I’ve got a 5500 w that I’ve had a while and don’t need one. They’re pretty quiet too.

We have the predators for our RV running in parallel, they are sufficient for sure. I agree, nice alternative to the Hondas. 

1 hour ago, B00M said:

Oil viscosity is inversely proportional to temperature, so an engine that isn't up to temp has relatively high oil pressure. Like 85 to 100+ psig. As the engine warms up, oil pressure steadily drops. Your oil pressure will be lowest after extended run time in summer, hopefully no lower than ~15 psi at 750 rpm. 

I meant either.

Edit: at idle it takes longer to come to correct operating temp. Then once it does the oil pres. at idle may be too low (common practice to set idle at 1k rpm for new cam/ifter break in to ensure sufficient oil pressure, for example). Either/ both are our concern, dude.

Thank you though.

Edited by GringoSalado
  • Hook 'Em 1

The only thing I have to add to this thread is that regarding potential disastrous weather events, pandemics, etc, when you have a gut feeling you should do/buy something, do it.  Don’t worry about what your significant other or anyone else says.  It’s much more comfortable and worth feeling stupid if you did it and didn’t need to than if you didn’t and needed to.  Filling water jugs and bathtubs last week may have seemed dumb to my kids, but they get it now.  Buying the power bank they never used until they did, same thing.  

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

The only thing I have to add to this thread is that regarding potential disastrous weather events, pandemics, etc, when you have a gut feeling you should do/buy something, do it.  Don’t worry about what your significant other or anyone else says.  It’s much more comfortable and worth feeling stupid if you did it and didn’t need to than if you didn’t and needed to.  Filling water jugs and bathtubs last week may have seemed dumb to my kids, but they get it now.  Buying the power bank they never used until they did, same thing.  

Water pressure dropped, I asked my girlfriend to check next door, others said the same, I immediately started filling bathtubs and jugs instead of checking for leaks. She wanted me to check for leaks. 20 gallons siphoned off then no water.  Her response, “you’re really good at this.”  I’m no where as good at this as most of you but when modern conveniences start to fail you need to start thinking what if about everything and really never stop thinking about the systems you rely on that are now failing.  Add deep systems knowledge like some of you guys have and it works really really well. 

Edited by troph
  • Hook 'Em 1

Isn't this the damn truth. In mid February of last year, before Covid really went mainstream here in the states, I went to Walmart and got two huge hand sanitizers, some masks, a bunch of meat for the freezer, bottled water and some canned goods including evaporated milk. I figured it would sit in the closet until it went bad. Felt dumb unpacking it from the car.

Between Covid and last week, save the water and a few cans, we used every bit of it. The meat and sanitizer during the grocery store shortages, masks early Covid, and evaporated milk this week for the toddler. I do have a shitload of cold and flu that we'll probably never use which will be the only waste.

I'll never again feel weird about emergency planning as long as I'm not reaching doomsday prepper levels.
  • Hook 'Em 4

13 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

Isn't this the damn truth. In mid February of last year, before Covid really went mainstream here in the states, I went to Walmart and got two huge hand sanitizers, some masks, a bunch of meat for the freezer, bottled water and some canned goods including evaporated milk. I figured it would sit in the closet until it went bad. Felt dumb unpacking it from the car.

Between Covid and last week, save the water and a few cans, we used every bit of it. The meat and sanitizer during the grocery store shortages, masks early Covid, and evaporated milk this week for the toddler. I do have a shitload of cold and flu that we'll probably never use which will be the only waste.

I'll never again feel weird about emergency planning as long as I'm not reaching doomsday prepper levels.

Exactly.  If you start hearing rumbling about runs on stuff at the store, go get some.  Because it WILL happen if you heard about it.  

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Jkwellborn said:

For everyone talking about getting things that run on the small, 1 lb propane bottles. Grab an adapter to run it off of a bigger tank or the adapter to refill it from a bigger bottle.

I have these, have not tested them though:

convert a small tank to large size output

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07XQL2RGC/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1

Convert 5lb and larger tank output to 1 lb type output or fill 1 lb tank w/ 5 lb

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B082KB26GK/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1

• Hook 'Em 1

Thoroughly recommend. Install was super easy and it improved our garage noticeably. It must to be a 20 degree improvement from whatever hellscape is outside. 
https://www.amazon.com/Matador-Garage-Door-Insulation-Designed/dp/B00RGZ9C10/ref=mp_s_a_1_6?dchild=1&keywords=Matador&qid=1613709925&sr=8-6&th=1&psc=1

I have something similar on my doors, garage never went below 40 degrees all week

1 hour ago, CooterBrown said:

Ok that's pretty sick... Figuring out the length needed would be a pain in the was though.

On 2/19/2021 at 12:21 PM, kevwun said:

Ambulances usually have a diesel engine and/or generator and cop cars have 2 alternators and heavy duty wiring.

And most folks don't have full-time motor pool mechanics to deal with their shit.  Vehicles in work service do a ton of things you wouldn't want to expose your personal vehicle to.

1 hour ago, CooterBrown said:

While that has some cool other features, in fundamental operation it's not any different from frost free spigots.  And they aren't completely frost free.  I have proof!

One thing that does do is get the fixture mostly out of the wind.

I have three frost free spigots, with varying wind exposure.  The one with the most wind exposure froze repeatedly despite wrapping.  The second most froze once before dripping.  And the sheltered one froze not at all and was just wrapped.  So convection is your real enemy,

If you can't wrap/insulate in such a way that you eliminate most of the moving air around the thing, you're probably better off to drip/stream.  Even if frost free.

Edited by TwiceHorn

17 hours ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

The only thing I have to add to this thread is that regarding potential disastrous weather events, pandemics, etc, when you have a gut feeling you should do/buy something, do it.  Don’t worry about what your significant other or anyone else says. 

So next time spare no expense on weather strippers?

Construction-Worker-Costume-Girl.jpg

Edited by clapclapclap

Already ordered a 2000w gas generator.  Was thinking about it for our pop up camper anyways.  But it should be enough to run our gas furnace blower, fridge, router, TV and charge stuff.. maybe not all at the same time.  

Probably will get a 5 gallon gas can and a small hand pump to pull from our cars if needed.

I've looked at small solar battery packs to charge phones and tablets but I worry that the batteries go to shit.  If could find one that uses replaceable 18650 batteries I might do it.

Will probably get a few collapsible water bags, maybe 20 gallons worth.  

Probably a spare 20lb propane tank for cooking.  

We always have a shit ton of food in the pantry.  My kids bitched about not having cereal, but never went hungry. 

I want to figure out the fittings needed to hook my air compressor up to the water line to purge my pipes.  

In all honesty, if I had known the schools would be closed all week I would have tried to purge my water lines, shut off the main, put the heat at 50 and gone skiing or to Florida or some thing.  

• Like 1

Already ordered a 2000w gas generator.  Was thinking about it for our pop up camper anyways.  But it should be enough to run our gas furnace blower, fridge, router, TV and charge stuff.. maybe not all at the same time.  
Probably will get a 5 gallon gas can and a small hand pump to pull from our cars if needed.
I've looked at small solar battery packs to charge phones and tablets but I worry that the batteries go to shit.  If could find one that uses replaceable 18650 batteries I might do it.
We always have a shit ton of food in the pantry.  My kids bitched about not having cereal, but never went hungry. 
I want to figure out the fittings needed to hook my air compressor up to the water line to purge my pipes.  
In all honesty, if I had known the schools would be closed all week I would have tried to purge my water lines, shut off the main, put the heat at 50 and gone skiing or to Florida or some thing.  
I thought about buying one of those pumps to get gas from my full truck for my little generator, but I read where they don't really work with newer vehicles with rollover protection/anti - siphon devices very well

14 hours ago, CooterBrown said:

An Austin builder thought this stainless freeze proof bib is an interesting alternative given the storm and discusses other things he will do differently. 

Edited by washparkhorn

Following along this thread for ideas. I’ll mention a few items that helped out this time as we had several outages over several days.

Already had a camping stove and mini propane tanks from camping days. Great for cooking some warm food as our stove is electric. Will but some additional tanks in a few weeks once it seems the prices have gone back down to normal levels. Also occurs to me to make sure I have a full regular sized spare propane tank to use our outdoor grill in the event of a prolonged outage.

Portable chargers including solar powered if anything just to charge up phones during outages. The double whammy during electric outages was that the phone signal went down to minimal and it took a lot more loading/battery usage than normal to do anything.

Extra water. I previously had purchased the big plastic jugs of water you can get at stores and Home Depots, etc. and a hand pump that fits on the tip of it to easily dispense it for consumption when we did a kitchen remodel a couple of years back. Will buy some water purification tablets and maybe some collapsible water jugs to supplement. Honestly until this I hadn’t thought as much about the water being completely cut off such that toilet usage would be affected (as opposed to the water available maybe not being potable).

Bought a portable outside generator from Costco a couple of years ago and finally got a chance to use it for the first time. Actually ended up only using it once during this as the power then came back on after a couple of hours of use but was good to know that I could power fridges, TV/internet and some lights/charges with capacity to spare. Will make sure my extra gas cans are topped off later this week.

General home weatherproofing/maintenance. Our home is original early 60s construction and, though our electric bills are actually pretty reasonable for how cool we keep the house during the summer, I could see/feel how cold the dining room/front room (with large old windows) would get. Beyond closing the blinds and covering any open spots with skeet’s and then “walling off” that room from our kitchen and hallway with sheets, I could see those sheets billowing out from the cold air still getting in that room.

15 hours ago, Catpfish said:
16 hours ago, dingleberryswitzer said:

I thought about buying one of those pumps to get gas from my full truck for my little generator, but I read where they don't really work with newer vehicles with rollover protection/anti - siphon devices very well

Get a 12 gallon portable marine tank for $100 from west marine. 

On 2/20/2021 at 8:36 PM, Catpfish said:
On 2/20/2021 at 7:56 PM, dingleberryswitzer said:

Do yourself a favor and buy a cheap 12v fuel pump, an inline filter, and 25’ of fuel hose. For $40 you can have something that will really move fuel.  Much better than the hand pumps. 

• Like 1

On 2/21/2021 at 12:56 AM, MadTrapper said:

There have been a few new builds in our neighborhood using CPVC instead of PEX. WTF?? Why do that? Just use pex. It's not a huge incremental cost.

It’s been a long time since I took materials class but at that point, PEX was considered pretty low grade shit. Curious when that changed. The manifold system in itself would be worth it if it’s gotten better.  

Have read this thread but still can’t figure out how to address our issue. We need to keep a fridge running because we have very expensive meds that would go bad if the fridge were out more than a few hours. 

but we don’t have anywhere to put a gas generator outside without either exposing it to rain, or being on a very small patio where carbon monoxide would be a concern. 

29 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

Have read this thread but still can’t figure out how to address our issue. We need to keep a fridge running because we have very expensive meds that would go bad if the fridge were out more than a few hours. 

but we don’t have anywhere to put a gas generator outside without either exposing it to rain, or being on a very small patio where carbon monoxide would be a concern. 

There's also a variety of camp fridges that are the size of an ice chest and run on way less power than your home fridge.  I have one in my vehicle with big battery that keeps it running for 2 days parked in the Texas peak summer heat, 3-4 days in typical fall weather.  The battery is charged by the 12 accessory outlet every time I drive but will also stay charged up with a 100w solar panel.  If you bought one of these camp fridges without the expensive big battery you'd still need a generator but it wouldn't have to be a huge one.   If you would only use it when power is out and not on road trips and campouts then a generator for your home fridge is probably a more practical choice for your money.

https://www.theoutdoors.blog/camping/best-camping-fridges/

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, FartingMonk said:

I have a gas generator but decided on getting a propane generator.  Have a solar panel hooked up to my pellet grill.  Have an inverter that I can plug into my car.  I think the only thing I would get at this point is an indoor propane heater and some spare PBC

they make conversion kits for gens to run tri-fuel.  might depend on your model, but as posted earlier in the thread, i have a honda that will run LP or gas.  would run NG too, but i would need to get a different regulator.

1 hour ago, Dbeasy said:

just google gen tent and that should set you up. make sure to stake it down. 

maybe a marine battery setup would work for a short term solution?  not super familiar with those, but have seen buddies use them for tailgating to run tvs and small appliances.

• Hook 'Em 1

If you have gas or a propane tank, an old school propane wall heater is a very good idea.  We have 1 in the living room.  It has 3 ceramic blocks and has settings of low, medium and high.  It produces a shit ton of heat on just the low setting.  This is the first time I've had to run it in 7 years, but I was glad my dad talked me in to keeping it when we remodeled our house.

On 2/20/2021 at 6:56 PM, dingleberryswitzer said:

https://www.amazon.com/20000mAh-Portable-Waterproof-External-Flashlight/dp/B07TY13NW1/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?crid=2UNDADQP1QTFB&dchild=1&keywords=yelomin+solar+charger+20000mah&qid=1614007917&sprefix=yelomin%2Caps%2C184&sr=8-1-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUFZOVRXSlZLQjlLUzgmZW5jcnlwdGVkSWQ9QTA3MzEwMjkzVDhXNk5RM09SR0NTJmVuY3J5cHRlZEFkSWQ9QTA2NTE4MzQyUFo1MENHSVRESzFPJndpZGdldE5hbWU9c3BfYXRmJmFjdGlvbj1jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

I have had two of these for probably close to 2 years with zero issues. I also bought a couple for inlaws as well.

I use it a lot as a power source during the week when I am away from a charger etc during the day and sometimes at night so maybe 250 charges or so.  It still does about 1.5x full charges of my phone and keeps the charge for a long time.  It's pretty slow for solar charge, but it does work in a pinch if you need it. 

If you have gas or a propane tank, an old school propane wall heater is a very good idea.  We have 1 in the living room.  It has 3 ceramic blocks and has settings of low, medium and high.  It produces a shit ton of heat on just the low setting.  This is the first time I've had to run it in 7 years, but I was glad my dad talked me in to keeping it when we remodeled our house.

I’ve got one of the old heater like that. I’ve never used it, but my wife’s grandparents did the last time we had a bad ice storm.

15 minutes ago, phdhorn said:

Got the kids this for Christmas, now I realize how valuable it is:

headlamp.png.05f14812375382bdd7e47ba53f53b7bb.png

Great to have 2 hands in dark and cold, instead of one holding a flashlight or phone or whatever.

I bought a couple of USB rechargeable ones a while back, they are worth every penny and last for hours.  I keep one in my truck that I use on fishing trips.  

13 minutes ago, phdhorn said:

Got the kids this for Christmas, now I realize how valuable it is:

headlamp.png.05f14812375382bdd7e47ba53f53b7bb.png

Great to have 2 hands in dark and cold, instead of one holding a flashlight or phone or whatever.

Definitely.  I own about 5 of these and keep them in various spots where I might need a flashlight.  One in each car, at the work bench in the garage, in the camping gear box, etc...  I own one small handheld flashlight that I'm required to have for work, other than that one it's been years since I held a flashlight in my hands.