Judas and the Black Messiah

Beantown Express 2.0

I think there is some talk about this in the HBO Max thread but thought it deserved its own thread.  Just watched it tonight and thought it was excellent.  It really is a good intro into Fred Hampton/The Black Panthers (cue Forest Gump Black Panther Party Gif) and their battle with the Chicago police and the FBI.  The two main actors were great and I would definitely recommend this to those of you that like historical dramas.  It really shows how screwed up this country was/is with race and social inequality along with how corrupt the Chicago police and FBI were under Hoover (If you believe that view from the movie).  

• Hook 'Em 3

20 hours ago, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

I think there is some talk about this in the HBO Max thread but thought it deserved its own thread.  Just watched it tonight and thought it was excellent.  It really is a good intro into Fred Hampton/The Black Panthers (cue Forest Gump Black Panther Party Gif) and their battle with the Chicago police and the FBI.  The two main actors were great and I would definitely recommend this to those of you that like historical dramas.  It really shows how screwed up this country was/is with race and social inequality along with how corrupt the Chicago police and FBI were under Hoover (If you believe that view from the movie).  

The depiction of Fred Hampton's death is pretty much exactly what happened according to his widow/girlfriend's Eyes on the Prize interview where O'Neal's interview the movie is also partly depicted from this same episode. 

Interview takes place at 18:13. 

Yeah, the story has long needed to be told to the mainstream.    This country has been truly fucked to black people.     The depiction of the Black Panthers over the years is absolutely criminal.       Hampton was DYNAMIC and was only 21 when he was assassinated. 

I've been waiting for this movie from the second I saw the first trailer.   I've been trying to wait to watch it with the wife but I'm watching it tonight with or without her.

Glad the Fred Hampton story was brought to the big screen. His ability to unify the factions in Chicago at such a fractured time was amazing. Executed by COINTELPRO  and barely no one knows. 

As for the movie itself, I think they focused too much on O’Neal and made him the center of the story. 

Kaluuya is a great actor but he has clearly aged out of the role of 18-21 year old Hampton. Wish they found an up and comer full of fire. 

3 minutes ago, Firemans4Horn said:

Glad the Fred Hampton story was brought to the big screen. His ability to unify the factions in Chicago at such a fractured time was amazing. Executed by COINTELPRO  and barely no one knows. 

As for the movie itself, I think they focused too much on O’Neal and made him the center of the story. 

Kaluuya is a great actor but he has clearly aged out of the role of 18-21 year old Hampton. Wish they found an up and comer full of fire. 

I had no idea about the story and I think that helps with the kaluuya casting. I’d rather get the incredible actor with Kaluuya instead of being faithful with ages and gambling on the performance of an unknown 

If anyone who was involved in the assassination is still alive, they need to be prosecuted.  Drugged and murdered by a state agency and the feds.  I know J. Edgar was an evil fuck, but had never heard this story.  He would have made a great Nazi.

Edited by kevwun

This was really good.  I've lived in Chicago, have family friends that are CPD, and always understood them to be fucking corrupt.  But this is next level shit.

Movie left me with mixed feelings.  First, the treatment of African Americans in that time period absolutely deserved an intense response; what else were they supposed to do, just let the CPD run rampant over their lives? However when one para military organization starts shooting at/killing members of a larger para military organization, things are going to go south quick.

Revolutions are violent. BP wasn't prepared. They should have figured out a way to fight back without shooting cops. 

The history here is horrible.  How people were treated, how an American can be assassinated by the government without recourse.  It's a story that needed to be told, especially for people that weren't aware of it, like me.