Anybody drive to Washington state recently?

orangecat92

5 hours ago, orangecat92 said:

Would drive from San Antonio.  Thoughts?  

* If going by yourself it might be cheaper to fly.  

* Check for snow and shit if you plan on going throw Colorado/Utah/Wyoming, etc

* From SA through Arizona and until you hit LA area is basically desert and pretty boring but it's 85mph while in TX at least.  

*Plan for 3 days unless you hate yourself, or like meth.  

16 minutes ago, dingleberryswitzer said:

* If going by yourself it might be cheaper to fly.  

* Check for snow and shit if you plan on going throw Colorado/Utah/Wyoming, etc

* From SA through Arizona and until you hit LA area is basically desert and pretty boring but it's 85mph while in TX at least.  

*Plan for 3 days unless you hate yourself, or like meth.  

Wouldn't that add like 300 miles to the trip?  

Edited by SDG

3 hours ago, SDG said:

Yea, OP left us no other information about if he's sightseeing or what kind of car he's driving or a moving truck or anything.   Does he like beaches or mountains?  Is he gonna stop at hotels or camp.  There's a billion different ways to get from Texas to Washington. 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, SDG said:

Going out of the way to go through LA and Cali in general in a terrible idea. Unless it's a road trip and sight seeing is the goal and you want to take 5 days to do the trip.

We need more info.

I use to drive from Tucson to Seattle and back while going to UofA, fastest way home was through phoenix/vegas/twin falls idaho/oregon/eastWa/Sea. Fucking empty drive though, nothingness. Car go fast though 

4 minutes ago, cam4mav said:

Going out of the way to go through LA and Cali in general in a terrible idea. Unless it's a road trip and sight seeing is the goal and you want to take 5 days to do the trip.

We need more info.

I use to drive from Tucson to Seattle and back while going to UofA, fastest way home was through phoenix/vegas/twin falls idaho/oregon/eastWa/Sea. Fucking empty drive though, nothingness. Car go fast though 

Sorry dude.  

(sarcasm font)

I use to bitch about my Pullman to Bellingham drive so much I pretty much just stayed in town during holidays my last 2 years.  

Holidays I flew lol. Summer home twice then stayed in AZ after that. Probably made the drive total of 3 round trips. Pullman to Bellingham is a bitch of a drive in the winter. I know multiple people that got injured and 1 paralyzed waist down driving out to or from Pullman and Spokane. Dry desert was easy no complaints. Maybe lack of radio stations for hours at a time haha.

1 hour ago, dingleberryswitzer said:

Yea, OP left us no other information about if he's sightseeing or what kind of car he's driving or a moving truck or anything.   Does he like beaches or mountains?  Is he gonna stop at hotels or camp.  There's a billion different ways to get from Texas to Washington. 

small car, with wife, don't care for beaches or mountains.  Motels.  This summer. possibly. maybe not at all. 

Did Austin to Portland two years ago. Went up I-25 through CO, I-80 through WY to SLC, and then I-84 the rest of the way. Overnighted outside of Denver and Boise. Did it in 2.5 days but that was hard driving. Would definitely take my time if I do it again. Did it in April and still caught snow in CO and WY. Drive was beautiful, especially the last stretch on 84.

Edited by The Other White Meat

I made that trip 43 years ago on a Suzuki 750. Decided going the North route was a poor choice given the time of year and chose to go South across NM, AZ then cut across CA and North on I-5. It started raining when I crossed into NM and didn't stop until I crossed the Columbia River. I was soaked, but I didn't freeze.

7 hours ago, Dewey said:

I get it, beaches and mountains suck, are you looking for pet friendly motels? Those are the best. Try Motel 6, sorta new on the scene,  not too hipster yet, just a place to sleep and get a good cup of joe. 

And some guy named Tom Bardett will leave the light on for you. 

Make sure the little direction indicator on your rearview mirror is always saying N or W (or NW). If it's any other, you're going the wrong way. Also, not too much N or W. Try to balance it out. 

Eventually you will either hit ocean or the border. When you get to either one get out of your car and ask someone where you are. If they say "Washington" then you have arrived. If they say any other state, ask them the best way to Washington. 

Make sure you indicate you're trying to get to Washington, the state and not Washington, the nation's capital. 

I hope these instructions are useful. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I was considering a job in Ketchikan Alaska.  I live in Alaska, but the car hangs out in San Antonio.  I was thinking about driving the car to Washington, and then putting it on the ferry to Ketchikan.  Unfortunately, you've got to really, really want to do the ferry thing.  One person plus the small car takes 38 hours and costs $1300+.  I am not taking the job.  Ketchikan economy is very expensive.  

• Like 1