State Farm College Baseball Showdown Weekend Thread

Horny Bull

All of these home plate umps need to widen their zones by about an inch all the way around tomorrow. I realize practice has been tough for the past week and this is the first game of the season, but the zones have looked really tight across all three games. And all these walks really drag the games out.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, texashorn13 said:

Zubia’s skills at 1B are somewhere between clown show and train wreck.  He makes even the routine outs at first look tough.  Brutal

Disagree, he does a serviceable job filling in on a roster with 0 1Bs. I’m not going to get on him for missing a tough pick that bounces 2 feet in front of him. Faltine with some terrible throws that should’ve been routine. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, UnhappilyMarried said:

Disagree, he does a serviceable job filling in on a roster with 0 1Bs. I’m not going to get on him for missing a tough pick that bounces 2 feet in front of him. Faltine with some terrible throws that should’ve been routine. 

We haven’t had 1Bs on the roster for 3 yrs now. Are we not allowed to recruit or accept transfers at that position?

1 hour ago, UnhappilyMarried said:

More reason not to blame Zubia for less-than-exceptional fielding. 

Meh, the expectation at this level is for first basemen to have the ability to pick the ball. He showed he can do it last year. We’re not asking him to replicate Ji-Man Choi doing the splits, we just want him to pick a short hop. That’s not exceptional play. 

1 hour ago, DoneWithit said:

Meh, the expectation at this level is for first basemen to have the ability to pick the ball. He showed he can do it last year. We’re not asking him to replicate Ji-Man Choi doing the splits, we just want him to pick a short hop. That’s not exceptional play. 

What about expectations for the fucking shortstop?  There's a reason he got the error.

• Hook 'Em 2

8 minutes ago, TrashMaster G said:

What about expectations for the fucking shortstop?  There's a reason he got the error.

Well no shit. They got what they wanted with the lefty hitter rolling over on an outside pitch thus creating a two hopper to the short stop. It usually is routine play but in this instance the ball took a bigger bounce due to the turf, catching Faltine off guard and rushing the throw because of the speed the hitter had. He should have been more alert on the situation. 

I’m not excusing what Faltine did because it was rightly his error. But to say we can’t expect Zubia to pick a short hop because somehow that is considered exceptional is wrong imo. Are we going to start saying “well Zubia isn’t a true first basemen so we can’t expect him to execute a simple pick”?  I don’t think we should think like that. They both should have made the play, no excuses for either player. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, UnhappilyMarried said:

3 hours ago, UnhappilyMarried said:

More reason not to blame Zubia for less-than-exceptional fielding. 

Zubia was an All State 3B in high school.    Pierce seems to value offense over defense,  jmo.    Meaning  there may be someone on the roster (Petrinsky, Geib) who  may be slightly better defensively,  but Pierce values Zubia's power.

I know Zubia has worked very hard on the transition to 1B,  lost weight, and am sure he works with Tulo to improve.     Team effort,  infielders need to make good throws,  1B needs to cover for them.   When Kacy was in a hitting slump,  Augie left him in the lineup "because he makes the team better."

tl;dr:   Let's give Zubia a coupla' more games before we erect the cross to crucify him.    🙂

Edited by torre

22 minutes ago, Big Frog II said:

Our game, TCU, against Ole Miss lasted nearly 4 hours.  For a 9 inning game, that was unbelievably long.

21 minutes ago, shadow_operative2.0 said:

Tech/Arky was 4:18. 

21 minutes ago, Don Johnson said:

True but for this tournament to be on schedule each game can’t last more than 3 hours. That’s impossible. 

I love Longhorn baseball, but 4 hours is an ass whip. Damn, baseball needs a clock badly to keep this game from going to way of the doo doo bird. (Unpopular opinion thread is that way, but still.) 

3 hours ago, DoneWithit said:

Well no shit. They got what they wanted with the lefty hitter rolling over on an outside pitch thus creating a two hopper to the short stop. It usually is routine play but in this instance the ball took a bigger bounce due to the turf, catching Faltine off guard and rushing the throw because of the speed the hitter had. He should have been more alert on the situation. 

I’m not excusing what Faltine did because it was rightly his error. But to say we can’t expect Zubia to pick a short hop because somehow that is considered exceptional is wrong imo. Are we going to start saying “well Zubia isn’t a true first basemen so we can’t expect him to execute a simple pick”?  I don’t think we should think like that. They both should have made the play, no excuses for either player. 

I'm saying don't act like Zubia never makes those picks.  He does.  With Faltine yesterday he had to do it two or three times.  That's unacceptable and the blame goes to Faltine.  If Faltine takes a full stride on his throw, instead of panicking, we aren't having this conversation. 

• Hook 'Em 1

22 minutes ago, TrashMaster G said:

I'm saying don't act like Zubia never makes those picks.  He does.  With Faltine yesterday he had to do it two or three times.  That's unacceptable and the blame goes to Faltine.  If Faltine takes a full stride on his throw, instead of panicking, we aren't having this conversation. 

I clearly stated Zubia showed he can do it because of what he showed last year. Therefore we should all expect him to make the play, not role out excuses when he doesn’t. When Faltine makes an error, our reactions are that he’s better than that because we’ve seen it. The same should go for Zubia.