Tell something good that happened

cactusflinthead

my neighborhood, admittedly a bit bougie, people were helping people. giving away fresh baked loaves of bread, helping people turn off their water, loaning tools, expertise, giving rides in 4x4 vehicles, etc, and generally just being nice to each other. the facebook group was a hell of a resource, and the community really banded together. it was pretty cool to experience.

• Hook 'Em 6

13 minutes ago, hayden_horn said:

my neighborhood, admittedly a bit bougie, people were helping people. giving away fresh baked loaves of bread, helping people turn off their water, loaning tools, expertise, giving rides in 4x4 vehicles, etc, and generally just being nice to each other. the facebook group was a hell of a resource, and the community really banded together. it was pretty cool to experience.

This. Seeing people help and support each other through all this shit has been amazing. It’s rekindled a community spirit. That’s what this country needs right now.

• Hook 'Em 3

It won't make the news, but over the last week my local electric provider, Denton Municipal, updated the reporting phone tree. It was a basic leave a message at the tone after press one for you have juice or 2 if it's off. No español option. By Wednesday you could talk to a live human and esl callers had the option of Spanish.

Throughout this past year+ I keep thinking this forum has been a life saver for my sanity.  It has made me feel less alone in my logic, thinking and ideas of what our country should be.   I live in a sea of red who are self centered and willfully ignorant.  More than once this forum and many of you have given me different insight that bolstered me when I needed it.  That even though it looks bleak, it's not over.    

Yes, I see the local papers and media touting this group or that doing emergency work to help folks out.  I applaud that.  But really these measures are band-aids.  How do we get real movement to fix the underlying problems that caused or exacerbated these bad situations?   

• Hook 'Em 4

1 hour ago, pyrohornIII said:

Throughout this past year+ I keep thinking this forum has been a life saver for my sanity.  It has made me feel less alone in my logic, thinking and ideas of what our country should be.   I live in a sea of red who are self centered and willfully ignorant.  More than once this forum and many of you have given me different insight that bolstered me when I needed it.  That even though it looks bleak, it's not over.    

Yes, I see the local papers and media touting this group or that doing emergency work to help folks out.  I applaud that.  But really these measures are band-aids.  How do we get real movement to fix the underlying problems that caused or exacerbated these bad situations?   

One step at a time I guess. Think about the next thing you can do to help. Anybody can phone bank. Beto's army has been calling all over. There are ways to get in with an organization and there are plenty to choose from.

Little things we do. Or perhaps we perceive them as insignificant. You count too. Get on out there if you wanna

46 minutes ago, Willfully Horn said:

Sikhs feed the hungry, and I respect that. They are also warriors, and claim they will give their lives protecting your right to worship God in any manner that you choose.

I love that.

They are bad asses

Edit. I'll cite the man again.

I ain't gonna leave this man over there in Twitterville

Edited by cactusflinthead
  • Hook 'Em 3

I know things have been tough. This isn't the best place to live in the world or the home of the free, or anywhere near it, and all that stuff you were fed as children was bullshit. Lots of consequences being paid for stupid decisions on election days in the last 12 months. But in the end

At least you're not North Korea yet. 

Edited by Wanker Bob
  • Fuck You 1

Just now, Born to Run
ru-pauls-drag-race-drag-queen.gif
ETA: An objective good thing that happened: never had to shit in a litter box like the nurses at Dell Children's did!
Wait what?

i have friends that work there. need deets so I can plan birthday gifts right meow

Taken from one of their bathroom walls

ef67d43a-1ec6-4769-b1dd-210b8ad9b0ba.jpg

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, mchookem said:

My parents have been down there for a month, hanging with some winter Texan family. They have been staying to assist with the effort. Pictures have been heartbreaking. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, Bama Chick said:

This good thing is a little bit braggy lol.

Due to my work this year with our vaccine clinic and other Covid stuff, I just got officially promoted to a new position in senior leadership.

Nothing like doubling your salary after a divorce settlement!

You're newly single, with money.  You just rang the dinner bell 'round here.  You should lock your DMs.

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

13 minutes ago, Bama Chick said:

This good thing is a little bit braggy lol.

Due to my work this year with our vaccine clinic and other Covid stuff, I just got officially promoted to a new position in senior leadership.

Nothing like doubling your salary after a divorce settlement!

76467774.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Bama Chick said:

Congratulations. Keep kicking ass. 

16 minutes ago, High Plains Drifter said:

Sensing a teaching moment, on the drive home, I started talking about how there are a lot of families who can't pay for things like food or rent right now because of the pandemic. So made a deal: she would give all the allowance money she had been saving for some Lego crap to the local food pantry, if the wife and I gave our 1,400 stimulus checks (assuming the bill ever passes) to the local family crisis center.

We took her cash money to the food pantry office on Monday after school. They even gave her a receipt and a thank you card.

That is awesome. 

1 hour ago, Walden Ponderer said:

FMLA

An important element of the safety net.  Glad it worked. 

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

Surly member does a good thing.

I was in the ATL airport a couple weeks ago, having just arrived and had a decent layover.  I had several calls to make so I found an unoccupied gate to settle in a for a few minutes.

After sitting there for period of time, a young Hispanic fella approached me holding a young child.  He presented a 5x8 card and my initial thought was he was deaf and needed something.  He pointed to my phone and made a gesture as if asking if he could use my phone.  I was taken aback at first and I could tell he wasn't deaf, but was trying to communiciate with me in Spanish. Having a very good Spanish background from my HS years in Dallas and having taken many Sp classes at UT, I was able to determine he wanted to call his mother in DC (the gate was for a later Dulles flight). 

I communicated with him in Sp and asked for the number and told him I would call (I don't why I was so hesitant, it's not like he was going to run off).  At this time he told me he was an immigrant and lifted his pant leg to show me his ankle monitor.  We did not connect with his mother, but I asked where the mother of the child was and he pointed to very young girls in the corner.  I waved her over and she too had a card and a number.  After a successful connection they both broke down in tears.   I asked if they had a ride upon arrival in DC, both nodded their heads and were about to walk off.  I asked them the last time they had eaten.  Couldn't really tell based on their answer, my Spanish is not great.

I walked them to the food court in B terminal and got them some food. 

He told me they were from Honduras and had walked for 26 days to the Texas border.  I asked him about the trip and he said very hard, scary.

Again, my Spanish is functional at best, but I could tell the kid was genuine.

Later that night, I texted the number to make sure the kids made it safe, to which she texted back yes and how appreciative she was of the efforts.

Here is the picture she sent me of her daughter.  The boy and child are not pictured.

ATL.jpg

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • Senate Majority Leader Chuck Schumer proposed legislation to legalize marijuana at the federal level.
  • The Cannabis Administration and Opportunity Act would remove marijuana from the Controlled Substances Act and introduce regulations to tax cannabis products.
  • It would also expunge federal records of nonviolent cannabis offenders.
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2