Starlink

RPM

I signed up a year or so for Starlink (Elon's satellite service)and just got a sign up invite. It's roughly $100 a month which is twice what I'm paying now, but speed is over 100 times faster than my current shitty CenturyLink DSL. 

Shut-Up-And-Take-My-Money-Fry.jpg

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

I signed up a year or so for Starlink (Elon's satellite service)and just got a sign up invite. It's roughly $100 a month which is twice what I'm paying now, but speed is over 100 times faster than my current shitty CenturyLink DSL. 

Shut-Up-And-Take-My-Money-Fry.jpg

Damn interested to see your review. The impact this will have on the world is beyond imagination, not all of it in a good way. Coupling it with green energy in the developing far corners of the world is incredibly interesting along with how that info will be throttled and censored by the ruling powers.
  • Like 1

I signed up last year and got the notice this morning that they were taking orders in my area as well.  I couldn't sign up fast enough and already put my $99 deposit down with them.  Like others on this thread, we live out in the sticks and have long-range wireless delivered by a local company using Ubiquiti gear and get ~3mbs for $50/month.  I'll gladly pay for the Starlink gear and $100/month for the speeds they say are being delivered already.  Hopefully we get going with them early this fall.

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, Shoxthemonkey said:

I sent my $$. It will be enough faster than my current dino-net that I will let my DirectTv go and stream Hulu or somesuch. It will save me at least $100 over my current situation.

That's what I'm thinking. Drop DirecTV and Centurylink and get Starlink and YoutubeTV... it will be a lateral move monetarily with a kickass speed bonus.

9 minutes ago, davidg said:

Any idea for power consumption of receiver and router setup?  Looking with respect to an off-grid location what is going to be setup with solar/battery system.

There's been a few folks who plugged it into a kill-a-watt and saw draws of 154W, so it'll need a bit of juice

EDIT: found a really good reddit thread breaking down the technical side of dishy mcdishface, the power supply brick is rated a max of 180W

47b5cuqmdu161.jpg?width=3024&format=pjpg

Edited by Captainant
  • Hook 'Em 1

21 hours ago, Jersey Man10 said:
On 2/23/2021 at 9:17 AM, gurt said:
Just got the email that they are accepting orders in my area (Driftwood). Though the speeds in beta aren’t that great, 50mb to 150mb. Still better than Hughes net though. Especially the latency at 20-40 ms

I'm getting 10 mb on dsl lmao.

You're 8.5mb ahead of me.

1 minute ago, RPM said:

You can't handle a bright lightbulb?

Off grid solar powered application mainly as access point for security system.  Battery storage to provide 150W power for 3-4 days of solar downtime would be prohibitively expensive.  Cellular solution with 20+mbs speed is <20W.

4 minutes ago, davidg said:

Off grid solar powered application mainly as access point for security system.  Battery storage to provide 150W power for 3-4 days of solar downtime would be prohibitively expensive.  Cellular solution with 20+mbs speed is <20W.

TBH, if all you're using starlink for is for a security system, then it's major overkill for that usecase. Way more bandwidth than you need, more complexity than you need, and you're able to meet your technical needs with a much more simple cellular data connection.

• 11 months later...
2 hours ago, RPM said:

Yeah, the Northern states are getting it first. My projected date is mid '22. Heard they lost about 40 sats to a solar storm last week.

They are starting to go all over the place. My parents in Dripping Springs didn't sign up when I first told them to, and there are deployments all over there now, now they can't get a spot until end of the year.

Production has started to move quick for Starlink, they are already starting to get March orders, they might be to you a lot quicker than expected.

• Like 1

On 2/24/2021 at 2:25 PM, Samson&#x27;s Wig said:

When they mention there will be regular downtime right on the main web page, it doesn't sound like a solid choice if you work from home until they get more established.

From what I understand now that they are out of Beta, this downtime is gone. You should have constant satellite coverage to always have internet. The key is just having an open view of the sky so you can always see a satellite somewhere.

On 2/24/2021 at 2:40 PM, davidg said:

Any idea for power consumption of receiver and router setup?  Looking with respect to an off-grid location what is going to be setup with solar/battery system.

[quote here about 150W draw]

On 2/24/2021 at 3:11 PM, davidg said:

150W is a non-starter for my application. That's too bad.

The newer 2.0 dish, which is square, pulls a lot less power. I am seeing you can get sub 40W with the heating* element turned off. Some guy on reddit did a DC build that he was able to put in his car, around 37W.

For areas where there is a lot of snowfall they have heating of some sort in the dish. Most think it's just pushing a little more power to the components to heat them up, but it works. I'm assuming this is a non-issue for most people in Texas.

We're heading to Vermont tonight. I will post a pre and post speed test if I can. I will also try to post a video of the start up (while the dish aims), though I am not 100% sure how that will go as we are getting there well after night fall, we'll see if the moonlight is enough.

BTW - I saw a lot of people say on this thread say they waited to signup. Have you signed up now? Are you still waiting to sign up? For those signed up, what is your estimated arrival (time period or specific month)?

4 hours ago, Captain Ron said:

BTW - I saw a lot of people say on this thread say they waited to signup. Have you signed up now? Are you still waiting to sign up? For those signed up, what is your estimated arrival (time period or specific month)?

I signed up February 21, 2021.  It's still saying mid-2022 for me.  I'm in the Pflugerville rural area.

2 hours ago, Parliament said:

Do these things gotta be "aimed" like a regular dish?  Or are they more like a satellite phone?

The dish auto aims. You just put it out and it self aims slightly north. The dish has a motor in it  

This is the part I will try to video.

Because of the constellation it's not trying to hit a single satellite, but the one that happens to be flying past at that time. So they have this wide angle receiver instead of trying to reflect the signal to a single point like Hughes/ViaShat (as those hit a single geosynchronous satellite).

7CB11A74-9E81-4590-A277-256C351EB25E.thumb.jpeg.1e74611b924c3cebebcdb6b865fa4b09.jpeg

79DC0187-04E8-4779-A1DE-9B518DBE1BE3.thumb.jpeg.01fefa73a3cf502551b3ff090986aa17.jpeg

Edited by Captain Ron
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Parliament said:

Do these things gotta be "aimed" like a regular dish?  Or are they more like a satellite phone?

It uses an array of antennas and constructive/destructive interference between them to shape the overall direction of signal. I think the dish just needs to be pointed generally towards the northern sky and dishy does the rest

I saw a little blurb on that solar storm that took out 40 satellites. I realize that at some point, maybe already, it'll be thousands of satellites in the starlink "constellation."

But the solar storm that brought down the satellites was on a "moderate" level storm. These storms run in 11 year cycles, and its expected a strong storm is inevitable within a few years. If a moderate storm brought down 40 satellites, what would a strong storm do?

@Johnny Sack, yes all you need is a clear shot toward the north.

Since it receives from a constellation, and not a geosynchronous satellite, it should work in a moving car, assuming you have a power source, no? Anybody?

• Hook 'Em 2

8 minutes ago, High Plains Drifter said:

But the solar storm that brought down the satellites was on a "moderate" level storm. These storms run in 11 year cycles, and its expected a strong storm is inevitable within a few years. If a moderate storm brought down 40 satellites, what would a strong storm do?

In this case, the 40 satellites knocked out were not yet in service. The starlink mission profile is such that satellites are inserted into a dying orbit - if any units fail to check in, have a malfunction, or are just busted, they burn up in the atmosphere. Otherwise, each satellite recieves a command to boost itself into a stable orbit.

The solar storm hit as those 40 satellites were in that window, and ground control was unable to signal them to boost into a stable orbit, so they burned up.

It's actually a very good practice as far as reducing orbital debris, considering the sheer volume they're sending up

• Hook 'Em 4

I saw a little blurb on that solar storm that took out 40 satellites. I realize that at some point, maybe already, it'll be thousands of satellites in the starlink "constellation."

Since it receives from a constellation, and not a geosynchronous satellite, it should work in a moving car, assuming you have a power source, no? Anybody?

These 40 weren’t yet at their final orbit elevation so that’s why they were susceptible to the storm.

Yes, they will work in a moving car. I know blue water sailors are looking forward to getting the marine version of the dish in a few years.
  • Hook 'Em 1

Just now, High Plains Drifter said:

So the working orbit is high enough that solar storms won't affect them. Gotcha.

Well partially that, and also the satellites would only be temporarily impaired, assuming a similar event as the last one. The solar storm didn't really damage the satellites (as far as we know lol) but just impeded communications between them and ground control. Since they couldn't call home, they went viking funeral

I thought the problem was that the solar storm heated the atmosphere, causing it to expand, which resulted in increased frictional drag in the low orbits (I thought) these satellites operate in, which resulted in the satellites' orbits decaying past the point of saving them. I didn't realize it was the storms causing a communication break down which resulted in the satellites not boosting to higher working orbits when they were supposed to.

Ok moved over my old network to Starlink. Much better. Though I had to do it very stupidly. Starlink hardware 2.0 doesn’t have an Ethernet Jack built in for bypass. You have to order it.  So I’m using a WiFi extender to create an Ethernet Jack, not the most elegant solution, but temporary until I get the Ethernet port in a few weeks.

Pretty much what The Verge said when they reviewed this

https://www.theverge.com/22435030/starlink-satellite-internet-spacex-review

And lastly, if you are a telecom executive or regulator in the United States, you have no choice but to see Starlink, its execution, and the unrestrained excitement and hype around it as a direct indictment of your rhetoric and efforts to properly connect this country to the internet over the past two decades. Dishy McFlatface is a sign that reads YOU FUCKED UP AND EVERYONE HATES YOU. Read the sign. This is your fault.

As a whole, the American telecom policy industrial complex has utterly failed to put fiber in the ground and signals in the air at fair prices and with good customer support. So much so that a total science project of an internet access system — which involves huge tradeoffs for scientific research and doesn’t work if there are trees in the way — has captured the attention and imagination of millions.

Broadband on the ground is so wrapped up in the lumbering bullshit of monopolistic regulatory capture that it seems easier and more effective to literally launch rockets and try building a network in the sky. Starlink isn’t the happy end result of a commitment to “facility-based competition.” It is thousands of middle fingers pointing at us from the air. It is what happens when there is an utter lack of competition.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1