SOMEBODY FLIPPING ONE FUCKING SWITCH WOULD HAVE KEPT AUSTIN IN WATER

Hagbard Celine

48 minutes ago, dingleberryswitzer said:

I was walking my dog around maybe an hour after we got enough pressure to fill the toilet tanks, and I guess we had gotten full pressure back while I was out because some dude was using his fuckin water hose to sweep/melt snow off his driveway.  Wtf?  

Please bring your dog back to that house late tonight and let them leave a massive shit in their yard. Or you can leave the shit, either way is cool.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, LebongJames said:

The fucking car wash at Barton Springs and Lamar was open yesterday.

I noticed that yesterday afternoon and was surprised how many people were in line there... can't say the thought of getting my car washed had crossed my mind during this shit show. 

3 hours ago, Snake Diggity said:

I’m not saying you’re a piece of shit.  But this is something a piece of shit would say/do.

When there are still tens of thousands of your neighbors doing without life’s most basic necessity, and you can have any impact whatsoever in helping them get it back more quickly, you do what you can to help.  Especially if all that means is waiting an extra day or two to do laundry or “whatever the fuck your want to do”.  

No kidding!  It got so bad I even thought about turning off my sprinklers you selfish bastard!  I didn’t....but I did think about it.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

16 hours ago, bschoolprof said:

The same amount of ire directed at the state/ercot/electric market needs to be directed at the local regulated electric and water utilities as well.  Frozen pipes are one thing, but how these fucksticks in Austin could let their main water plant lose power, particularly when they were not using rolling blackouts in order to prioritize  “critical” infrastructure, is beyond comprehension. Remember when these chuckle fucks tweeted out that everything was fine with the water supply, and then promptly ran out of supply in a few hours? 

That's where nearly all of the ire for Austin residents should be directed.  The days long blackouts, and days long water shortage are completely on the city of Austin.  So long as Spencer Cronk, Greg Meszaros, and Jackie Sargent all get their ass fired once the dust settles on this,  I won’t mind the trouble that much.  They're all incompetent ass clowns.

• Hook 'Em 3

16 hours ago, bschoolprof said:

The same amount of ire directed at the state/ercot/electric market needs to be directed at the local regulated electric and water utilities as well.  Frozen pipes are one thing, but how these fucksticks in Austin could let their main water plant lose power, particularly when they were not using rolling blackouts in order to prioritize  “critical” infrastructure, is beyond comprehension. Remember when these chuckle fucks tweeted out that everything was fine with the water supply, and then promptly ran out of supply in a few hours? 

Less bike lanes and artists. More upgrades and repairs to critical core utilities. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

Well I guess my dead Koi is gonna lose my that Aquatic life exception... that I never knew I had.

78759 back up to nearly full pressure BUT I am a hair lower than the rest of the neighborhood and thus require less lift.  

I read that Sunday into Monday the system went through 380 Million gallons, when a heavy usage day in Summer is like 100 million gallons. You can go after the City of Austin on this and they deserve some culpability, but nearly all their maladies were related to the clusterfuck of the preferred Texas Energy Economic Regulatory model... the one that doesn't regulate but instead suggests and hopes....

• Hook 'Em 2

Plenty of blame to go around but it seems much worse here in regards to power and water than anywhere else in the state. I’m fucking over it. 

78735 here and still dry even though they have it at the apartments just across sw pkwy and just south of us. 

Edited by 4th&Five

Plenty of blame to go around but it seems much worse here in regards to power and water than anywhere else in the state. I’m fucking over it. 

78735 here and still dry even though they have it at the apartments just across sw pkwy and just south of us. 

Austin didn’t appear to be any less prepared or worse handled than Houston. Both cities had half the population out of power and basically lost water. I think the water issue was more exacerbated in Austin because of increased demand/strain on the system. The situation has lasted longer in Austin because the weather extremes led to increased infrastructure/property damage, and kept roads iced longer, hindering efforts to respond.

2 hours ago, ChickenSandwich said:

Less bike lanes and artists. More upgrades and repairs to critical core utilities. 

Yeah our water infrastructure is shit on a GOOD day.  We lose 1/4 of the water we produce to leaks.

That said, in this scenario once shit started rolling downhill, they didn’t have any choice except shut it all off including hospitals and stuff, or let the reserves drain and hope for the best.  

1 hour ago, gmr548 said:

Austin didn’t appear to be any less prepared or worse handled than Houston. Both cities had half the population out of power and basically lost water. I think the water issue was more exacerbated in Austin because of increased demand/strain on the system. The situation has lasted longer in Austin because the weather extremes led to increased infrastructure/property damage, and kept roads iced longer, hindering efforts to respond.

This.  I drove from Houston to Austin Tuesday night.  I was on 45 past downtown and I-10 to Columbus, all 99% dry as a bone, some ice on the shoulders and patches under and on top of bridges.  It started deteriorating around Smithville on 71 and was downright shitty with the roads being mostly sheets of ice from Bastrop to Austin.  I was driving the speed limit most of the way from Hobby Airport to about Smithville.  20mph max from Bastrop to Austin.  The shitty conditions definitely lasted longer here.  

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, ChickenSandwich said:

If they made the right upgrades, seems like it could save money in the long run, and/or give them capabilities they would have liked to have had during the recent problems.  Seems like they could tweak the power grids at a more localized level if rolling blackouts were needed, whether it be summer or winter, and it seems like they could find and fix water leaks/issues much faster.

• Hook 'Em 1

Parts of circle C is back. I’m in Avana and nada. My main valve has been off and will just hope for water tomorrow morning. At least I had the foresight to build a $80k toilet flushing reservoir that finished in December.

Circle c north came on around 3. Also the original circle c as well. So hopefully you are close.
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

Pretty sure that’s caused by air bubbles. If so it’s harmless. But I wouldn’t drink it. 

If you boil it and then let cool, does it stay cloudy, or some solids settle, or does it turn clear? If air bubbles I would expect it turns clear then look and smell fine.

24 minutes ago, pantone159 said:

If you boil it and then let cool, does it stay cloudy, or some solids settle, or does it turn clear? If air bubbles I would expect it turns clear then look and smell fine.

When you turn on your faucet and water that appears cloudy and “milky” comes out, it’s justifiable to be concerned. Although it usually does not pose a health risk, you will want to determine the underlying cause of the cloudy water in order to correct the issue.

If Your Cold Water is Cloudy:

• If water from all of your cold water taps are cloudy, it is most likely caused by air in the municipal supply. To check this, fill a glass with cold water and watch it for a few minutes. The water should clear from the bottom upward. If the water is still cloudy after 24 hours, it might be wise to call the water bureau and ask if there’s maintenance being done or a possible leak in the system.
  • If cloudiness is only occurring at one of your faucets, it is probably a problem with the aerator. Take off the aerator, clean it with a half-water, half-vinegar solution, rinse it thoroughly and reinstall. This should take care of the problem.

If Your Hot Water is Cloudy:

• To test the reason your hot water looks cloudy, run it briefly and fill a glass. Much like with the cold water test, you’re going to want to watch the way the water clears. If the cloudiness dissipates from the bottom upwards, the cloudiness is caused by the release of pressurized air. If water clears at the top first and particles are settling at the bottom of the glass, you’ll want to have your water heater checked.
  • Hook 'Em 2

• immamac changed the title to SOMEBODY FLIPPING ONE FUCKING SWITCH WOULD HAVE KEPT AUSTIN IN WATER